FYI, Reginald D. Freeman, NFNA “Reggie-D”, is not the City of Oakland’s first black fire chief; Oakland has had, now, five. Samuel Golden Sam was hired as Oakland’s first black fire chief in 1981, and by City Manager Henry Gardner, Oakland’s first black city administrator. Also, P. Lamont Ewell was hired as Oakland’s fire chief in 1991, and just 13 days before the Oakland Hills Fire. Godwin Taylor, Teresa Deloach-Reed, and Deputy Chief Melinda Drayton in an interim role, round out the list of black fire chiefs in Oakland, now joined by Reginald D. Freeman.
Oakland, CA – City Administrator Ed Reiskin today announced the selection of Reginald D. Freeman to serve as the next Fire Chief for the City of Oakland, effective May 17.
Mr. Freeman most recently has served as the Fire Chief for the City of Hartford, Connecticut since 2016. He will take over for Deputy Chief Melinda Drayton who has held the position in an interim role since April 2020.
“Mayor Schaaf and I are excited that Chief Freeman has accepted our offer to become the next Fire Chief for the Oakland Fire Department at a very dynamic time for both the fire service and the city of Oakland,” said City Administrator Ed Reiskin. “Recognizing the importance of this position, we undertook an exhaustive recruitment process and we’re extremely confident that Mr. Freeman is the right choice for this moment. He brings a tremendous level of professional experience leading fire departments and emergency management functions, has demonstrated a strong commitment to professional development, and built a successful track record of achieving strategic goals and objectives at every step of his career.”
Prior to the City of Hartford, Chief Freeman served as the Fire Chief for Lockheed Martin and served as a civilian Fire Chief in Iraq for the U.S. Department of Defense from 2004-2008. He has worked in several fire service capacities in his career including Firefighter/Emergency Medical Technician (EMT), Fire Captain, Fire Service Instructor, Assistant Fire Chief, and Fire Chief.
“I am sincerely humbled and honored to have the confidence of Mayor Schaaf and Mr. Reiskin to serve the great City of Oakland and the men and women of the Oakland Fire Department as fire chief,” Chief Freeman said. “OFD is a proud organization comprised of consummate professionals.”
Mr. Freeman has a Bachelor’s in Leadership, a Master’s in Executive Fire Service Leadership, and is a Harvard Fellow. He is also a Fellow of the Institution of Fire Engineers USA Branch and a Chief Fire Officer Designee and serve on the Board of Directors for National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). He is married to his wife of 17 years and is a proud father to two daughters.
Post based on press release to Zennie62Media from The City of Oakland.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- State Department policies exclude U.S. citizens’ family members October 21, 2021
- Cleveland Browns vs. Denver Broncos | 10/21/21 | Free NFL Picks And Prediction | NFL Betting Picks October 21, 2021
- Brian Laundrie search: Authorities find personal belongings, possible human remains October 21, 2021
- Local Matters: Virginia governor’s race currently tied, poll says October 21, 2021
- First sports equinox arrives NFL NBA MLB NHL all play in October after October 21, 2021
- Avlon: Texas showed how rigged the system really is October 21, 2021
- Thursday NFL, NCAAF, & MLB Free Betting Picks & Predictions – 10/21/21 l Picks & Parlays October 21, 2021
- Port of Long Beach executive director talks supply chain efforts October 21, 2021
- Browns vs Broncos | Free Week 7 NFL Football Picks | DEN @ CLE TNF Thursday Bets | Kyle Kirms October 21, 2021
- ‘Mass’ Examines The Traumatic Aftermath Of School Shootings October 21, 2021
- How Employees Are Holding Companies Accountable On Social Issues October 21, 2021
- LIVE: Speaker Pelosi Holds Weekly Briefing On Capitol Hill | NBC News October 21, 2021
- Morning showers soak Bay Area roads October 21, 2021
- FREE Basketball 10/21/21 Picks and Predictions Today NBA Betting Tips and Analysis October 21, 2021
- Thursday’s Best Bets: NBA Player Props, Spreads & O/U Picks for October 21st! (6-4 ON THE YEAR!) October 21, 2021
- NBA DFS Strategy 10/21/21 | DraftKings & FanDuel NBA Picks October 21, 2021
- The Oakland Hills Fire: 30 years later October 21, 2021
- FIRST LOOK: Sony Alpha 7 IV | Official announcement and event October 21, 2021
- San Francisco Tree Topples: Tree topples near San Francisco’s Japantown October 21, 2021
- Capitol Police officer: Trump supporters are being lied to October 21, 2021
- Braves vs. Dodgers NLCS Game 4 Highlights (10/20/21) | MLB Highlights October 21, 2021
- Covid Cases Rise In U.K. As Government Rejects Reimposing Restrictions October 21, 2021
- ‘Bloomberg Technology’ Full Show (10/19/2021) October 21, 2021
- We Discuss HBCU Football The NFL NBA MLB Playoffs October 21, 2021
- Simone Biles Speaks Out On Championing Mental Health October 21, 2021
- San Francisco closes an In & Out Over Vax Checks – California School Kids Safely Eat Lunch In Rain October 21, 2021
- House To Vote On Holding Steve Bannon In Contempt Of Jan. 6th Investigation October 21, 2021
- COVID-19: Prime Minister says ‘we’re in a much better position” because of the vaccine October 21, 2021
- Rep. Jayapal: We May Not Get All We Want In The Bill, But Let’s Get This Done October 21, 2021
- US surgeon general on child vaccines: Parents have been waiting for this October 21, 2021
- Liz Cheney Suggests Trump Was ‘Personally Involved’ in Jan. 6 Capitol Riot October 21, 2021
- New product announcement on October 21st 2021 | Sony | α October 21, 2021