Oakland — It seems that every day there is a report of a fatal hit and run or reckless speeding that has resulted in serious injury on Oakland’s streets. It has become a precarious endeavor for anyone, but especially the elderly and children, to cross the street or even walk on the sidewalk. We need stronger action to make our streets safer for pedestrians, bicyclists, and others.
The practice has been to rely exclusively on police officers for speeding enforcement, but this has not been working well. In a city the size of Oakland, it is not possible for the police to create a sufficient presence to catch speeding violations or be a deterrent that would discourage dangerous driving activity that has caused serious injury and fatalities. The discretionary, disparate treatment of African Americans, and the ways that traffic stops have sometimes resulted in people being killed by police during traffic stops, are also reasons that the more effective options of civilian and automated traffic enforcement is desirable.
Oakland Council President Rebecca Kaplan is proposing Oakland adopt a resolution requesting the State Legislature to enact legislation that would give municipalities the flexibility to adopt more effective methods for speeding enforcement.
We need strategies that avoid racial disparities, prevent traffic stops from escalating into police shootings, while making speeding enforcement more effective and more broadly implemented. The answer is alternative traffic enforcement. Alternative traffic enforcement is the use of cameras and/or civilian personnel, such as Department of Transportation staff, to enforce traffic laws. This approach to traffic enforcement frees up the police to focus on serious crime, reduces likelihood of problematic police interactions, and improves reliability and fairness of enforcement. It also represents a potential savings for a city since it costs more for sworn officers to address these violations.
These systems can reduce racial disparities. “Driving While Black,” is the familiar term to describe the racial profiling used by law enforcement when an African American driver is stopped for little to no reason. The fear of a traffic stop escalated with no apparent reason is well-known in communities of color. With the use of cameras looking at license plates rather than individuals, automated systems, and local civilian staffing, communities of color could get a ticket for speeding, and it would no longer be a potentially life-threatening situation.
The City of Berkeley has already taken steps in this direction. In July, Berkeley approved the use of transportation personnel to conduct traffic stops. The City of San Francisco has also previously expressed interest in alternative methods of speeding enforcement. Oakland is also now working on strategies to provide for options beyond using an armed officer for these situations. But allowing cities flexibility for these solutions requires a change in State law in California.
The California Legislature needs to assist municipalities like Oakland and Berkeley and beyond with more flexibility to innovate as we address this danger on Oakland’s streets. Alternative traffic enforcement is one place where that assistance could begin. The Legislature needs to amend State laws, to allow cities the discretion to use methods for speeding enforcement that are fairer and more effective.
SFMTA efforts for an Automated Speed Enforcement Project:
This item is to be heard for scheduling by the Rules & Legislation Committee on September 24, 2020.
Scheduling Request: https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:9391c3de-52c5-4156-ba13-5932682d7163
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- 2021 MLB playoffs Red Sox vs Astros odds ALCS Game 3 picks predictions October 19, 2021
- Astros vs Red Sox Game 3 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 19, 2021
- Lowe’s Fayetteville GA Service Tech Shelby Cooper Great Dishwasher Install Service On Call October 19, 2021
- Oakland Unified School District OUSD Celebrates 2021 National Principals Month October 19, 2021
- The Jewel of Oakland – An Aerial Cinematic View of Lake Merritt in 4K October 19, 2021
- Oakland Sideshow SEP. 2021 pt.2 October 19, 2021
- Bike Oakland: Seminary, Leona Heights, Upper Dimond, Laurel, Allendale, Maxwell Park October 19, 2021
- Bike the sunrise in Oakland, San Leandro & Alameda October 19, 2021
- Bike Oakland: Up Broadway, Broadway Heights, Down Monterey October 19, 2021
- Bike Oakland: Up Monterey, Down Park October 19, 2021
- Oakland Sideshow SEP. 2021 October 19, 2021
- Bills vs Titans Week 6 Highlights | NFL 2021 October 19, 2021
- Kate Scott embraces Philly as Sixers season begins | Sixers Talk October 19, 2021
- Every Touchdown Scored In Week 6 | NFL 2021 Highlights October 19, 2021
- Bills vs. Titans Week 6 Highlights | NFL 2021 October 19, 2021
- Buffalo Bills vs Tennessee Titans Highlights 4th Qtr | NFL Season 2021 October 19, 2021
- Buffalo Bills vs Tennessee Titans Highlights 3rd Qtr | NFL Season 2021 October 19, 2021
- Train hauling corrosive acid derails at Port of Oakland October 19, 2021
- Buffalo Bills vs. Tennessee Titans HIGHLIGHTs 4th-Qtr | Week 6 NFL Sunday, October 18,2021 October 18, 2021
- Buffalo Bills vs. Tennessee Titans HIGHLIGHTs 2nd-Qtr | Week 6 NFL Sunday, October 18,2021 October 18, 2021
- Buffalo Bills vs. Tennessee Titans HIGHLIGHTs 3rd-Qtr | Week 6 NFL Sunday, October 18,2021 October 18, 2021
- Buffalo Bills vs Tennessee Titans Highlights 2nd Qtr | NFL Season 2021 October 18, 2021
- Oakland Hills Firestorm Community Comeback Film Photos with Olympus OM 2n on Kodak Gold October 18, 2021
- 🏈 LIVE| Buffalo Bills vs Tennessee Titans – 2021 NFL Game Week 6 October 18, 2021
- Reacting to the Las Vegas Raiders’ first game without Jon Gruden | KJM October 18, 2021
- The Silver and Black Respond With Impressive Win in Denver | Raiders Gameday | NFL October 18, 2021
- Buffalo Bills vs. Tennessee Titans HIGHLIGHTs | Week 6 NFL Sunday, October 18,2021 October 18, 2021
- 1 Otp = ₹156🔴LIVE | New Earning Apps 2021 | Free Paytm Cash Daily Earn ₹1560 |Best Earning App October 18, 2021
- Gabby Petito’s heartbroken family make desperate plea in search for justice | 60 Minutes Australia October 18, 2021
- Buffalo Bills vs Tennessee Titans Highlights 1st Qtr | NFL Season 2021 October 18, 2021