Oakland At-Large Councilmember Rebecca Kaplan is expected to announce she is running for Mayor of Oakland this week, if not within the next two weeks, according to three conversations this author had with sources: two with the Oakland tax consultant and candidate for mayor herself Nancy Sidebotham, and another with a well-known former Oakland elected official who did not wish to go on the record, but would only say they “think that may be, but she goes back and forth, so I’m not sure.”
But Nancy Sidebotham is sure and agreed to go on the record with me: “I was told this within the last 24 hours, but I can’t say from who. I know that she held one meeting with supposed backers some time ago, but whatever happened, she changed her mind within the past 24 hours.”
The Oakland At-Large Councilmember did not return calls or texts from this author seeking confirmation of this news as of this writing. But Kaplan certainly has made a series of high-profile actions of late that, in an election season, would cause some political observers to think she was going for incumbent Mayor Schaaf’s seat. Each one of those actions was connected with the Oakland Lake Merritt BBQ Incident.
If you need a quick recap, Dr. Jennifer Schulte spent two hours first harassing, then calling the Oakland Police Department, on Kenzie Smith and his wife and friends, and only for using a charcoal grill for a cookout next to Lake Merritt. Thanks to the YouTube video made by his wife Michelle Snider, the world got a visual taste of the kind of every day racism African Americans face in America.
Kaplan’s reponse was to eschew quiet calls for politicians not to say anything, and issue a statement, then repeat those words at the May 15th Oakland City Council meeting, and then, just four days ago, issue a press release calling for Kenzie Smith to be on the Oakland Parks And Recreation Advisory Commission, calling for change and writing that Mr. Smith should be part of discussions on how to cause them to happen.
But the question is, can Kaplan take this new series of calls for change and ride the wave to win the 2018 Oakland Mayoral Election? In the follow-up to this post, we’ll take a look at the question “Can Rebecca Kaplan win? Is what would be her third time running for the seat she has long coveted, indeed, the charm? Rebecca’s running against what is, right now, a field of 11 other candidates: Cat Brooks, Shelton Duncan, Ken Houston, Saied Karamooz, Kristina Molina, the afforementioned Sidebotham, Jesse A. J. Smith, Marchon Tatmom, Cedric Troupe, and Randolph Wilkins, and the incumbent Mayor Schaaf. How will she do?
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Kevin Durant Saves The Brooklyn Nets Season In Game Five Against The Bucks, By: Vinny Lospinuso
- Homeless Encampment Believed To Be Cause Of Fire In Irwindale CA By Joseph Armendariz
- Derek Carr Is A Good Example Of What Being A Raider Means – By Eric Pangilinan
- Las Vegas Raiders: Josh Jacob’s Derek Carr Mini Camp Press Conference My Take Joseph Armendariz
- Charles Barkley Says He Not Having Fun Anymore Because Of Cancel Culture -By Eric Pangilinan
- Charles Barkley Says He Not Having Fun Anymore
- What Will Be The Raiders Keys To Having A Winning Season: By Eric pangilinan
- Howard Terminal Ballpark Oakland A’s Presentation To Alameda County With City of Oakland
- Charles Barkley Slams Cancel cultre !!by Eric pangilinan
- Will Derek Carr Get A Contract Extention From The Raiders?by Eric pangilinan
- Philippines Fight Vs China Over West Philippines Sea by Eric pangilinan
- Dave Kaval Oakland A’s President Howard Terminal Presentation Slides For Alameda County Meeting
- Gavin Newsom Celebrates California Reopening Day – Visit The Alley, Oakland On Grand Ave
- An Uptown Oakland Axe-Wielding Black Man With Mental Issues Life Was Saved By Not Calling OPD
- Katherine Tai United States Trade Representative Ambassador On-the-Record Press Call
- The Oakland Athletics Howard Terminal Ballpark Spreadsheet Vlog Part 1
- Oakland East Bay Black Professionals Association Juneteenth Jubilee Saturday June 19th
- Las Vegas Raiders Henry Ruggs 11 says He Is Ready To Make A Statement by Eric Pangilinan
- Lebron James Says Get Him Some Damian Lillard To LA Lakers Tampering By Eric Pangilinan
- Ray Bobbitt And Robert Bobb Of AASEG Talks WNBA At Oakland Arena Progress