OAKLAND CITY COUNCIL PRESIDENT REBECCA KAPLAN STATEMENT ON WEDGEWOOD, AND SEEKING PROPERTY OWNERS WILLING TO SELL TO THE OAKLAND COMMUNITY LAND TRUST
OAKLAND, CA – For the past several weeks, Moms 4 Housing, a group of Oakland homeless mothers and their children have been residing in a formerly-vacant home in West Oakland. Wedgewood Properties, A large investment corporation, with a troubling history of questionable evictions, is seeking to evict the women. The corporation has hired controversial spokesperson Sam Singer to create a public relations response for them.
Wedgewood Properties has now chosen to claim that they wish to work with a non-profit to use the house to benefit at-risk youth through jobs rehabbing houses, and have blamed the homeless moms of Moms 4 Housing for causing delay in the launch of this alleged program they claim they would be launching, if they kicked the moms out of the house. Unfortunately, the specific organization that Wedgewood named, appears to have no office or personnel anywhere in this region, no local business license, and no track record that can be found of performing this type of work.
In addition, there is no evidence that Wedgewood is serious about launching this alleged program, to employ low-income youth renovating houses, as such a program, to be real, would require staff and would obviously require more than one house to be viable. Wedgewood owns and buys hundreds of houses. Yet, thus far, they have not offered any of their other properties into the program they claim to be launching. Wedgewood has stated they would then sell the house, and send a portion of the proceeds to groups in Los Angeles, leaving no benefit to the local community.
Luckily, there is a viable, licensed, local non-profit that is located in Oakland and does actually have the capacity to respond – and they have offered to Wedgewood to buy the house from them. The Oakland Community Land Trust, which has experience acquiring, rehabbing, and otherwise handling houses – including those needing renovations – and providing them as affordable housing for lower-income residents in our community.
Council President Rebecca Kaplan continues to urge Wedgewood Corporation, as she did in a letter back in December 2019, to sit down with the Oakland Community Land Trust and seek to work out a mutually beneficial situation which allows Wedgewood to get paid for their property, and end the situation of strife and negativity.
Council President Kaplan is also seeking other property owners who are willing to sell their properties to help, and work with the Oakland Community Land Trust. At a time when homelessness has increased 47% in Oakland since 2017, in part because of soaring housing prices, we need to work in partnership with multiple stakeholders to resolve this crisis.
Anyone interested in selling or donating a house for such a use, should contact the Oakland Community Land Trust. https://oakclt.org/
Related Posts (YARPP)
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Atlanta Hawks Shock Philadelphia 76ers 103 – 96 – Off To 2021 Eastern Conference Finals
- Louis Riddick Says Raiders Issue Always Been Defense Not Derek Carr – By Eric Pangilinan
- Boxing Errol Spence Jr Belives He Is The big Dog- By Eric Pangilinan
- Gus Bradley Putting In New Defense System For The Raiders By – Eric Pangilinan
- Philippines Orders Biggest Doese Of Covid Vaccine
- Nba Western Conference Finals Devin Booker Shines By- Eric Pangilinan
- Deep Dish Pizza – Lou Malnati’s Pizzeria Classic Style At Uptown Plaza, Phoenix, 100 E Camelback Rd
- Gus Bradley Putting In New Defense System For The Raiders By- Eric Pangilinan
- 2021 Juneteenth Shooting At Oakland Lake Merritt Shows Some Black Kids Don’t Value Black Life – Our Fault
- Juneteenth Lake Merritt Shooting: Oakland City Council’s Nikki Fortunado Bas, Carroll Fife Statement
- Kumasi Aaron Of ABC 7 At Juneteenth Jubilee Oakland, Produced By Oakland City Council’s Loren Taylor
- Juneteenth Walk Down Broadway In Oakland Brings Back Memories For Instagram Poster
- 1 dead, others injured after shots fired at Lake Merritt
- Brooklyn Loses NBA Playoffs Game 7 To Milwalkee 115 – 111 Kevin Durant Reverts To Warriors Time
- NBA Super Teams Dont Win Right Away By- Eric Pangilinan
- Kevin Durant Is God Reaction – Hits Tie Shot To Send Game 7 Vs Bucks To Overtime
- NBA Western Conference Finals Set Suns Vs Clippers – By Eric Pangilinan
- Juneteeth Reaction: What Is Its Meaning To America? By: Vinny Lospinuso
- Cole Beasley Reaction To Joseph Armenderiaz Vlog By- Eric Pangilinan
- Some Filipinos Question Manny Pacquaio Ability- To lead By Eric Pangilinan