In the letter called “Immediate Access to Hotel Rooms For Unhoused And Other At Risk Residents” Oakland City Council President Kaplan asks Governor Newsom For Hotel Acesss
Honorable Richard Valle, President
Alameda County Board of Supervisors
1221 Oak Street, #536
Oakland, CA 94612
Honorable Gavin Newsom, Governor
State of California
1303 10th Street, Suite 1173
Sacramento, CA 95814
Erica Pan, MD., County Health Officer
Alameda County Public Health Dept.
1000 Broadway, Suite 500
Oakland, CA 94612 Oakland, CA 94607
Re: Immediate Access to Hotel Rooms For Unhoused And Other At Risk Residents
Dear Governor Gavin Newsom, Alameda County Board President Valle, and County Health Officer Pan,
The COVID-19 pandemic puts our community at significant risk, and calls upon us to take important action to protect public health and human lives. While our federal government has failed to provide tracking, testing, and personal protective equipment and this disease is exposing the faults in our healthcare system, I want to thank you for issuing Shelter-in-Place Orders early, and hence flattening our curve. This unprecedented act has resulted in saving lives, and is keeping many of our residents safer. Nonetheless, we do have some people in our communities who have no place in which to shelter, and this continues to be a major risk which requires further action.
Thank you for helping secure approximately 363 rooms at two hotels that have been designated for individuals experiencing homelessness in Oakland. It is our understanding that Alameda County designated one of the hotels for high risk seniors experiencing homelessness who are 65 years of age and older to “shelter-in-place”, and the other for individuals who have tested positive for COVID-19. We have heard that some people have been provided rooms in the hotels, that the process to access them is lengthy and onerous, and even that rooms may be being kept vacant intentionally, while thousands continue to remain on our streets, or in group-room facilities which have been identified as places of high risk. At the same time, numerous hotel rooms throughout our region are vacant and available.
The 2019 County Point-In-Time Homeless Count noted 4,071 individuals experiencing homelessness in the City of Oakland. I am deeply concerned that unhoused individuals will have a difficult time meeting the requirements of physical distancing. While the Order issued by the County exempts said individuals, unhoused residents are at greater risk for infection as they don’t have a home to “shelter in place”, often don’t have access to running water and sanitation, and other risk factors for worse COVID outcomes.
For this very reason, yesterday, the Board of Supervisors at the City and County of San Francisco unanimously passed an Ordinance “to secure 8,250 private rooms by April 26, 2020, through service agreements with hotels and motels for use as temporary quarantine facilities for people currently experiencing homelessness, people released from local hospitals with COVID-19 exposure or infection, and front-line workers in the COVID-19 crisis.”
This decision was in part based on a letter sent to the City and County of San Francisco from multiple UC Berkeley faculty from the School of Public Health who stated the following as it pertains to unhoused and at risk individuals during COVID-19:
“For people who are not infected or sick: make it possible for all people experiencing homelessness to shelter in place (as we are instructing the general population to do) in hotel rooms or similar single-occupancy vacant units with private bathrooms. This will minimize their exposure to people who are infected and decrease their likelihood of being infected if exposed through individual access to hygiene and cloth masks…Allow individuals to bring their belongings and pets into hotels with them….Shelters for the minority of individuals who cannot function safely in hotel rooms and who are not sick, with partitions and increased numbers of bathrooms and sinks/hand sanitizer stations per person.”
The letter goes on to make other recommendations including a moratorium on encampment and RV sweeps-such action was already taken by the City of Oakland via Resolution, and are recommended for the whole of the County. We ask you to work with us, to advance a plan, similar to San Francisco County’s, to house the unhoused, first responders, and other residents at risk, by moving them into individual rooms.
Accordingly, we ask to consider immediately the below actions:
1. Make hotel rooms immediately available for use to provide for safe “shelter in place” for people experiencing homelessness, including: people currently residing in a congregate shelter room; people who are currently unsheltered; and unhoused people being released from jails with priority to vulnerable populations.
2. Ensure direct connections with local community organizations with ability to help provide access for the homeless to the hotel-room programs. Do not require that people already be sick to obtain a room, ensure the process is timely and doesn’t require the homeless to have computers or other barriers.
3. Provide hotel rooms to front-line responders to this crisis, including but not limited to health care workers and others who are at risk of exposure to COVID-19.
Again, thank you for your leadership and attention to these critical issues. We look forward to working with you and other leaders to bring these proposals into reality.
Oakland City Council President
Cc: Honorable Keith Carson, Alameda County Board of Supervisors, Vice-President Honorable Scott Haggerty, Alameda County Board of Supervisors
Honorable Wilma Chan, Alameda County Board of Supervisors
Honorable Nate Miley, Alameda County Board of Supervisors
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Henry Ruggs III Mic’d Up vs. Broncos: ‘All Bama on the Board!’ | Week 6 | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL October 20, 2021
- Boxing Sandor Martin Stuns Boxing World By Defeating Former Champ Mikey Garcia By Eric Pangilinan October 19, 2021
- Meet Jon Bean, Oakland Rising’s Deputy Director Taks With Liz Suk, Executive Director October 19, 2021
- Philadelphia Eagles vs Las Vegas Raiders | Week 7 NFL Game Preview October 19, 2021
- Oakland hills firestorm marks 30th anniversary October 19, 2021
- 30 years later: Remembering the Oakland Hills Fire October 19, 2021
- Los Bukis ULTIMO CONCIERTO 2021 Oakland CA I Mi Mayor Necesidad October 19, 2021
- In-N-Out Burger in Battle With San Francisco Health Officials Over COVID Rules October 19, 2021
- Braves vs Dodgers Game 3 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 19, 2021
- TITANS y BILLS se baten en un ASOMBROSO duelo de MONDAY NIGH | Semana 6 2021 NFL Game Highlights October 19, 2021
- LIVE SPORTS TALK! Monday Night Football Bills Titans Recap, MLB Playoffs, Next LSU Head Coach? October 19, 2021
- San Francisco Leaders Offer Cash Rewards in Hopes of Reducing Car Break-Ins October 19, 2021
- Buffalo Bills vs Tennessee Titans Full Highligh 4th Quarter | NFL Week 6, 2021 October 19, 2021
- Deputy chase underway in LA County October 19, 2021
- New Plan to Fight Car Break-Ins in San Francisco October 19, 2021
- Every Team’s Best Play From Week 6 | NFL 2021 Highlights October 19, 2021
- 49ers News TODAY: 49ers Injury Report, DeForest Buckner RETURNS, Trent Williams, Aaron Banks, Lynch October 19, 2021
- 30 years later: KTVU reporter recalls being trapped by Oakland Hills firestorm October 19, 2021
- Film Study: Raiders Defensive Line is causing Havoc October 19, 2021
- Raiders Sign Desmond Trufant + Raiders Rumors On Clelin Ferrell Trade, D.J. Hayden & Derek Carr October 19, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Alex Leatherwood Playing Better At The Guard Position By Eric Pangilinan October 19, 2021
- Raw Video: San Francisco Announces Cash Rewards To Stop Auto Burglary-Fueled Fencing Operations October 19, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders: Former Pro Bowl DB Desmond Trufant Signs With Raiders By Joseph Armendariz October 19, 2021
- ILUW Local 10, The Shipping Backlog & The Working Class with ILWU Local 10 Pres Trent Willis October 19, 2021
- MLB LIVE: Los Angeles Dodgers vs Atlanta Braves Live stream – Braves vs Dodgers Live October 19, 2021
- Raiders Rumors & News On Trade Clelin Ferrell, Derek Carr & Josh Jacobs + 2021 NFL Trade Candidates October 19, 2021
- Cal Football: Jake Tonges Press Conference (10.19.21) October 19, 2021
- Cal Football: Femi Oladejo Press Conference (10.19.21) October 19, 2021
- Cal Football: Justin Wilcox Press Conference (10.19.21) October 19, 2021
- Robert Bob Hamilton Oakland, Commercial Real Estate And Friend To Many, Died October 9th October 19, 2021