OAKLAND, CA – The City of Oakland’s budget policy (Link to Policy – Page 12) requires that, after the Mayor’s budget proposal is received, that the President of the City Council produce an amended budget, to serve the goals of the public and the City Council, and to ensure that vital needs are funded.
This budget is a statement of our values as a City, a reflection of our intention to build a healthier, safer, livable, vibrant Oakland.
Today, June 10th at 5:00PM in Council Chambers, (Link to Agenda) we will have the opportunity to hear and respond to the budget proposal that I, as the current Council President, submitted, which seeks to support community needs.
The top concerns for Oaklanders in the budget survey were affordable housing and homelessness. The point in time homeless study in Alameda County shows homelessness increased by 43% over the last two years. (Link to Study) Our budget proposal establishes a mobile homeless outreach team, hires a full-time administrator to coordinate efforts, provides targeted services to homeless youth (including LGBT youth), and funds a pilot program for self-governed encampments. It expands temporary housing options such as tiny homes and RVs with safe spaces to park, and provides funds for storage space, mobile showers, and restrooms for our unsheltered neighbors, and to hire the homeless to help improve Oakland. The proposal expands pro-active illegal dumping removal and strengthens the enforcement and rewards program to make people stop dumping on Oakland, and expands support for job training and preparedness, and youth summer jobs.
Many of our neighborhoods, especially in East Oakland, lack adequate access to healthy food. My proposed budget amendment includes funding for heathy food corner store conversions, East Oakland business development and dedicated staff to ensure focus.
I would also like to reiterate that I am not cutting OakDOT but rather asking for issues brought to us by the business and local community to be fixed. (Link to Letter)
Our amendments also ensure that survivors of violent crime are provided with support services and that we take action to reduce violence. We are also exploring and launching new innovations including pilot money to explore the CAHOOTS model for responding to mental health situations without needing to always rely on police for response, (as recommended by the Police Commission), reducing incarceration, and also piloting models for homeless response which have been found successful in other cities.
We are making it easier to get projects permitted and completed in Oakland, including specifically for small property owners, people seeking to add ADUs (accessory dwelling units, also known as “in-law units”). We are launching new innovations including evening hours for people to be able to get their questions answered and get their permits.
Our Amendment rejects the Mayor’s proposed cut of 8.5 parks maintenance workers, which was planned to be handled by eliminating upkeep for over 30 community parks, many in areas which are struggling and cannot afford the blight and loss of access to healthy recreation which would be caused by leaving parks in disrepair. We have the opportunity to insist on a budget that responds to community needs.
We have analysis showing the historical and expected revenues over the last 7 years. Please see the link for information. (Link to Historic Under Projection)
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Shipping Industry Meets In San Francisco, Warn Backlog To Stretch Past Holidays October 27, 2021
- Newsom weighs in on controversy over In-N-Out’s vaccine stance October 27, 2021
- Houston Astros with WILD 2nd inning! (Score 4 runs in chaotic fashion!) October 27, 2021
- Florida’s Manatees Are Dying in Record Numbers in 2021 Due to Food Shortage October 27, 2021
- What is COP26? October 27, 2021
- ABC 10 News San Diego KGTV Latest Headlines | October 27, 6pm October 27, 2021
- Scottie Barnes With the POSTER DUNK on Pacers 🔥 October 27, 2021
- John Salley on Will Staying with Jada After Her ‘Entanglement’ (Flashback) October 27, 2021
- Raskin: We Won’t Play ‘Hide And Seek’ With Targets Of Jan. 6 Subpoenas October 27, 2021
- Knicks @ Bulls- Thursday 10/28/21- NBA Betting Picks and Predictions | Picks & Parlays October 27, 2021
- Charlotte Hornets vs Orlando Magic – Full Game Highlights | October 27, 2021 | 2021-22 NBA Season October 27, 2021
- Why we still have daylight saving time October 27, 2021
- All-Access | 2021-2022 Warriors Opening Night at Chase Center October 27, 2021
- The Woke World Series: Leftist Hypocrites Miss a Big Opportunity | Ep 373 October 27, 2021
- Democrats’ Billionaire Tax Plan Puts About 700 People in Its Sights October 27, 2021
- Texas man could win $35.6 million if Astros win World Series October 27, 2021
- Blake Swished A Clean Over The Head Shot After The Whistle 😂 October 27, 2021
- NFL Trade Deadline: will the New England Patriots “Buy or Sell”? October 27, 2021
- GOP’s Execution System Halted In Oklahoma October 27, 2021
- Keke Palmer Says She Honored Ancestors Singing National Anthem At World Series | TMZ Sports October 27, 2021
- Brazil’s Bolsonaro could be charged for mishandling the pandemic October 27, 2021
- Nikita Dragun Wants To Educate Dave Chappelle On Transgender Community | TMZ October 27, 2021
- Look ahead to game 2 of the World Series October 27, 2021
- Deshaun Watson Trade To Miami DONE? Latest Dolphins Rumors On Acquiring The Franchise QB + Tua Talk October 27, 2021
- Law enforcement prepares to keep World Series crowds safe October 27, 2021
- World Series 2021 – Game 1 – National Anthem – Sang by Keke Palmer October 27, 2021
- Blake Griffin Does a H-O-R-S-E Shot after a call 😎 October 27, 2021
- ‘Wing-Nut Racism’: Howard Dean Crushes Ted Cruz October 27, 2021
- NFL refuses to release report on investigation of Washington Football Team October 27, 2021
- Calif. Urges Eligible Residents to Get COVID-19 Booster Shot as Holiday Season Nears October 27, 2021
- A happy rescue | Simba the lion finally home where he belongs October 27, 2021
- Call of Duty: Vanguard File Size Revealed | GameSpot News October 27, 2021
- Pat Beverley Gets Called for the New Rule Offensive Foul, Gives a Thumbs Up 👍 October 27, 2021
- JAY-Z Almost Spilled his Drink after BLAKE GRIFFIN DUNK 😂 October 27, 2021
- Travis d’Arnaud goes deep! Puts the Braves on the board in Game 2! October 27, 2021
- The soaring cost of inflation October 27, 2021
- Extreme weather events highlight U.S.’s failing infrastructure October 27, 2021
- 2021 World Series pits bitter Atlanta Braves against reviled Houston Astros October 27, 2021
- Event Marks Beginning of 100-Day Countdown to 2022 Beijing Olympics October 27, 2021
- San Diego Democratic Party pushes to ban state-sponsored horse racing October 27, 2021