Vice President Harris and I have been briefed by our homeland security team on the mass shooting at a FedEx facility in Indianapolis, Indiana, where a lone gunman murdered eight people and wounded several more in the dark of night.
Today’s briefing is just the latest in a string of tragedies, following closely after gunmen firing bullets in broad day light at spas in and around Atlanta, Georgia, a grocery store in Boulder, Colorado, a home in Rock Hill, South Carolina, and so many other shootings.
While we await critical details about the shooting, its motivation, and other key information, once again, I have the solemn duty of ordering the flag lowered at half-staff at the White House, public buildings and grounds, and military posts and embassies, just two weeks after I gave the last such order.
It’s a mass shooting just a week after we met, in the Rose Garden, with families who lost children and dear friends as bullets pierced their bodies and souls in schools, a night club, in a car at a gas station, and a town meeting at a grocery store. And it came just the night before 14th anniversary of the shooting at Virginia Tech, in which a gunman murdered 32 people.
Last night and into the morning in Indianapolis, yet again families had to wait to hear word about the fate of their loved ones. What a cruel wait and fate that has become too normal and happens every day somewhere in our nation.
Gun violence is an epidemic in America. But we should not accept it. We must act.
Last week, I called on the Justice Department to better protect Americans from gun violence. I also urged Congress to hear the call of the American people – including the vast majority of gun owners – to enact commonsense gun violence prevention legislation, like universal background checks and a ban of weapons of war and high-capacity magazines.
Too many Americans are dying every single day from gun violence. It stains our character and pierces the very soul of our nation.
We can, and must, do more to act and to save lives.
God bless the eight fellow Americans we lost in Indianapolis and their loved ones, and we pray for the wounded for their recovery.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- LIVE: Rep. Kevin McCarthy Holds Weekly Briefing On Capitol Hill | NBC News October 21, 2021
- WorldView: Ambassador to China nominee gives stark assessment of threats October 21, 2021
- NFL Prop Bets Today – Denver Broncos Team Prop. 10/21/21 NFL Picks and Predictions October 21, 2021
- President Joe Biden pitching legislative agenda at town hall October 21, 2021
- Local Matters: Vice President Harris to campaign in Virginia for McAuliffe October 21, 2021
- WHO warns pandemic will drag on deep into 2022 – BBC News October 21, 2021
- State Department policies exclude U.S. citizens’ family members October 21, 2021
- Cleveland Browns vs. Denver Broncos | 10/21/21 | Free NFL Picks And Prediction | NFL Betting Picks October 21, 2021
- Brian Laundrie search: Authorities find personal belongings, possible human remains October 21, 2021
- Local Matters: Virginia governor’s race currently tied, poll says October 21, 2021
- First sports equinox arrives NFL NBA MLB NHL all play in October after October 21, 2021
- Avlon: Texas showed how rigged the system really is October 21, 2021
- Thursday NFL, NCAAF, & MLB Free Betting Picks & Predictions – 10/21/21 l Picks & Parlays October 21, 2021
- Port of Long Beach executive director talks supply chain efforts October 21, 2021
- Browns vs Broncos | Free Week 7 NFL Football Picks | DEN @ CLE TNF Thursday Bets | Kyle Kirms October 21, 2021
- ‘Mass’ Examines The Traumatic Aftermath Of School Shootings October 21, 2021
- How Employees Are Holding Companies Accountable On Social Issues October 21, 2021
- LIVE: Speaker Pelosi Holds Weekly Briefing On Capitol Hill | NBC News October 21, 2021
- Morning showers soak Bay Area roads October 21, 2021
- FREE Basketball 10/21/21 Picks and Predictions Today NBA Betting Tips and Analysis October 21, 2021
- Thursday’s Best Bets: NBA Player Props, Spreads & O/U Picks for October 21st! (6-4 ON THE YEAR!) October 21, 2021
- NBA DFS Strategy 10/21/21 | DraftKings & FanDuel NBA Picks October 21, 2021
- The Oakland Hills Fire: 30 years later October 21, 2021
- FIRST LOOK: Sony Alpha 7 IV | Official announcement and event October 21, 2021
- San Francisco Tree Topples: Tree topples near San Francisco’s Japantown October 21, 2021
- Capitol Police officer: Trump supporters are being lied to October 21, 2021
- Braves vs. Dodgers NLCS Game 4 Highlights (10/20/21) | MLB Highlights October 21, 2021
- Covid Cases Rise In U.K. As Government Rejects Reimposing Restrictions October 21, 2021
- ‘Bloomberg Technology’ Full Show (10/19/2021) October 21, 2021
- We Discuss HBCU Football The NFL NBA MLB Playoffs October 21, 2021
- Simone Biles Speaks Out On Championing Mental Health October 21, 2021
- San Francisco closes an In & Out Over Vax Checks – California School Kids Safely Eat Lunch In Rain October 21, 2021