Leading Economists, Including Former Top Trump Advisor, Praise the American Rescue Plan and Stress Urgency of Additional Economic Relief
Support continues to grow for President Biden’s American Rescue Plan, including among leading economists who recognize the need for urgent action to combat the economic damage being wrought by COVID-19, get relief and support to the families and communities who have been hit hardest by the pandemic, and ramp up vaccinations, testing, and public health capacity so we can get the virus under control.
In an interview with CNN on Thursday, Kevin Hassett, a former top economic advisor to President Trump, expressed support for the American Rescue Plan and cautioned against the risks of failing to act, saying “I think we need to be risk averse … There are so many businesses treading water, barely hanging on. Now they are getting hit by another shock.”
Hassett’s support was echoed by dozens of economists surveyed by Reuters, which found that over 90% of them believed that the American Rescue Plan would “would boost the economy significantly.” Moody’s Analytics, in an independent analysis, similarly found that the Rescue Plan would help create 7.5 million jobs in 2021, double economic growth, and return the U.S. to full employment a full year faster.
The urgency to act was underscored this week with new figures from the Department of Labor showing that nearly 900,000 workers for filed for unemployment benefits, and coming on the heels of previous economic data showing that the United States lost jobs in December.
CNN: Trump advisor calls on Congress to approve Biden’s rescue plan
Former Trump economic adviser Kevin Hassett broadly supports President Joe Biden’s $1.9 trillion rescue package as a way to keep the coronavirus-ravaged economy afloat.
“They’ve thrown a lot of stimulus at it,” Hassett told CNN Business on Thursday, “but I think we need to be risk averse.”
The former Trump administration official fears that without more aid from Washington, the worsening pandemic will cause the US economy to suffer a repeat of the first quarter of last year, when GDP shrank by 5%
“There are so many businesses treading water, barely hanging on. Now they are getting hit by another shock,” said Hassett, who served as Trump’s top economic adviser from 2017 to 2019 before returning in a voluntary role in March of last year. “You could end up in a negative spiral for the economy.”
Reuters: Biden’s rescue plan will give U.S. economy significant boost
U.S. President Joe Biden’s proposed fiscal package will boost the coronavirus-hit economy significantly, according to a majority of economists in a Reuters poll, and they expect it to return to its pre-COVID-19 size within a year.
Biden has outlined a $1.9 trillion stimulus package proposal to jump-start the world’s largest economy, which has been at the epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic having lost over 400,000 lives, fueling optimism and sending Wall Street stocks to record highs on Thursday.
Hopes for an upswing in U.S. economic growth, helped by the huge stimulus plan, was reflected in the Jan. 19-22 Reuters poll of more 100 economists.
In response to an additional question, over 90%, or 42 of 46 economists, said the planned fiscal stimulus would boost the economy significantly.
“There are crosswinds to begin 2021 as fiscal stimulus helps to offset the virus and targeted lockdowns. The vaccine rollout will neutralize the latter over the course of the year,” said Michelle Meyer, U.S. economist at Bank of America Securities.
“And upside risks to our…growth forecast are building if the Democrat-controlled government can pass additional stimulus. The high level of virus cases is extremely disheartening but the more that the virus weighs on growth, the more likely that stimulus will be passed.”
Post based on press release from The Biden Administration to Zennie62Media.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Mock Draft Live Two Weeks Away From The 2021 NFL Draft
- 1974 Oakland Raiders Season
- Oakland Athletics Post-Game From Phoenix By Richard Haick
- Oakland Public Library: Hora De Cuentos: 5 En La Cama
- Oakland Athletics at Arizona Diamondbacks at Chase Field in Phoenix by Richard Haick
- US Calls For Pause On Johnson & Johnson Vaccine | TODAY
- Paul Flores, Rubin Flores: Kristin Smart Case Suspects Arrested, Sheriffs To Announce Updates
- Bishop O’Dowd at San Leandro Football 4.1.21 | Jesse Madden vs Demetrius Freeney
- Justin Fields Is Smartest QB In 2021 NFL Draft With Insane Aptitude Test Score
- Oakland Jobs: Waste Management Hiring Oakland California Residents At WM.com
- City Of Oakland Launches New Poet Laureate Program
- Oakland Fire Department Announced Oakland City Council Approved Return Of Full Service April 13th
- Exploring The Bay Area: Lake Chabot Park, Oakland, California Vlog
- Turf Toy On YouTube Brings 3-Wheel Slingshot SL To Oakland California
- Gina Champion-Cain San Diego Businesswoman Gets 15 Years In Prison For $400 Million Ponzi Scheme
- Grand Lake Theater Oakland Staff Fundraiser Short Of $35K Goal At $30,283 As Of April 13 2021
- 2/24/21 OUSD School Board Meeting – Resolution for Reparations for Black Students
- Oakland Police Chief LeRonne L. Armstrong Press Conference On Weekend Violence 4/12/ 21
- Oakland City Council Unanimously Votes To Use $10 Million To Restore Vital Community Services
- Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce Good On Greens, Fish, Shrimp, And Pasta. Mark Zuckerberg, Thanks!