Leading Economists, Including Former Top Trump Advisor, Praise the American Rescue Plan and Stress Urgency of Additional Economic Relief
Support continues to grow for President Biden’s American Rescue Plan, including among leading economists who recognize the need for urgent action to combat the economic damage being wrought by COVID-19, get relief and support to the families and communities who have been hit hardest by the pandemic, and ramp up vaccinations, testing, and public health capacity so we can get the virus under control.
In an interview with CNN on Thursday, Kevin Hassett, a former top economic advisor to President Trump, expressed support for the American Rescue Plan and cautioned against the risks of failing to act, saying “I think we need to be risk averse … There are so many businesses treading water, barely hanging on. Now they are getting hit by another shock.”
Hassett’s support was echoed by dozens of economists surveyed by Reuters, which found that over 90% of them believed that the American Rescue Plan would “would boost the economy significantly.” Moody’s Analytics, in an independent analysis, similarly found that the Rescue Plan would help create 7.5 million jobs in 2021, double economic growth, and return the U.S. to full employment a full year faster.
The urgency to act was underscored this week with new figures from the Department of Labor showing that nearly 900,000 workers for filed for unemployment benefits, and coming on the heels of previous economic data showing that the United States lost jobs in December.
CNN: Trump advisor calls on Congress to approve Biden’s rescue plan
Former Trump economic adviser Kevin Hassett broadly supports President Joe Biden’s $1.9 trillion rescue package as a way to keep the coronavirus-ravaged economy afloat.
“They’ve thrown a lot of stimulus at it,” Hassett told CNN Business on Thursday, “but I think we need to be risk averse.”
The former Trump administration official fears that without more aid from Washington, the worsening pandemic will cause the US economy to suffer a repeat of the first quarter of last year, when GDP shrank by 5%
“There are so many businesses treading water, barely hanging on. Now they are getting hit by another shock,” said Hassett, who served as Trump’s top economic adviser from 2017 to 2019 before returning in a voluntary role in March of last year. “You could end up in a negative spiral for the economy.”
Reuters: Biden’s rescue plan will give U.S. economy significant boost
U.S. President Joe Biden’s proposed fiscal package will boost the coronavirus-hit economy significantly, according to a majority of economists in a Reuters poll, and they expect it to return to its pre-COVID-19 size within a year.
Biden has outlined a $1.9 trillion stimulus package proposal to jump-start the world’s largest economy, which has been at the epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic having lost over 400,000 lives, fueling optimism and sending Wall Street stocks to record highs on Thursday.
Hopes for an upswing in U.S. economic growth, helped by the huge stimulus plan, was reflected in the Jan. 19-22 Reuters poll of more 100 economists.
In response to an additional question, over 90%, or 42 of 46 economists, said the planned fiscal stimulus would boost the economy significantly.
“There are crosswinds to begin 2021 as fiscal stimulus helps to offset the virus and targeted lockdowns. The vaccine rollout will neutralize the latter over the course of the year,” said Michelle Meyer, U.S. economist at Bank of America Securities.
“And upside risks to our…growth forecast are building if the Democrat-controlled government can pass additional stimulus. The high level of virus cases is extremely disheartening but the more that the virus weighs on growth, the more likely that stimulus will be passed.”
Post based on press release from The Biden Administration to Zennie62Media.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Las Vegas Raiders Could We See A Battle Of Back Up QB In The NFL Week Three? By Eric Pangilinan September 20, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders QB Derek Carr Questionable For Week Three Vs The Dolphins By Eric Pangilinan September 20, 2021
- Women’s Health Protection Act Of 2021 Press Conference By Oakland Councilmember Sheng Thao September 20, 2021
- Gabby Petito: FBI remove Brian Laundrie’s parents from ‘crime scene’ Florida home September 20, 2021
- Women’s Health Protection Act Of 2021 Oakland CM Sheng Thao Press Conference September 20, 2021
- Oakland Sports Alert – This Is What Having A Stadium Can Get You: Atlanta Bids For World Cup September 20, 2021
- Directing For A Drama Series: 73rd Emmy Awards September 20, 2021
- Adams Point Condo For Sale At 466 Crescent St 108 Oakland, CA September 20, 2021
- Oakland Rapper Spideyy Has Officially Ate The Cheese Snitching He Wants To Take Back His Statement September 20, 2021
- How to Increase Your Website Conversions by 75% with Jason Gracia September 20, 2021
- Shootin’ Lucy Punk Rock Band Performing At Stork Club Oakland Show December 7th 2007 September 20, 2021
- Gunman Kills At Least 8 At Russian University, Authorities Say September 20, 2021
- North Port police put up crime scene tape outside Brian Laundrie’s house September 20, 2021
- Woman Says Encino Dunkin’ Donuts Refused To Serve Her Because She Was Deaf September 20, 2021
- 2021 Emmys Recap: Biggest Moments From the Show | E!’s Post Pop September 20, 2021
- 2021 Emmys Red Carpet Livestream | Live From E! September 20, 2021
- The Hague: Court Scraped Multibillion-Dollar Ecuador Damages Against Chevron 3 Years Ago September 20, 2021
- Tom Brady on 5-Touchdown Game vs. Atlanta | Press Conference September 20, 2021
- Chris Godwin on ‘Elite’ Bucs Defense | Press Conference September 20, 2021
- Mike Evans on Rob Gronkowski: Best Tight End of All Time For a Reason September 20, 2021
- Iron Front Live At Town Skate Park In West Oakland Saturday Sept 18 2021 September 20, 2021
- 2015 Honda Civic LX Sedan Walnut creek Concord Lafayette Oakland San ramon September 20, 2021
- Gabby Petito’s Best Friend Sheds Light On Brian laundrie September 20, 2021
- Chefgreen Food Music and Health Festival In West Oakland – Babybrah Vlog Lit Crew September 20, 2021
- UNREAL! YouTubers Found Gabby Petito’s Body! Where is Brian Laundrie? September 19, 2021