The MSC Anna, 1,312-feet-long, can transport up to 19,200 20-foot boxes. It will be the largest ship ever to visit The Port of Oakland.
Oakland – Coronavirus may be hampering global trade but it hasn’t broken the supply chain at the Port of Oakland. The latest evidence: the largest ship ever to call in Oakland arrives this week. The container vessel MSC Anna is scheduled to berth at the Port April 16. (YouTube video by Deano C)
The ship will tie up at Oakland International Container Terminal on the Oakland Estuary. The Port of Oakland said that the 1,312-foot-long vessel is on special assignment from Geneva-based shipping line MSC. It’s collecting a backlog of empty containers in Southern California before arriving in Oakland. It’s scheduled to spend 24 hours here discharging import containers and loading exports.
“We’ve spent years, and millions of dollars keeping ahead of the pace of trade and the size of ships,” said Port of Oakland Executive Director Danny Wan. “We’re ready for the MSC Anna and we’ll welcome her back any time.”
The arrival is gratifying for Oakland, which has growth aspirations despite recent cargo volume declines from the coronavirus pandemic. The MSC Anna can carry up to 19,200 20-foot cargo containers. That makes it one of the largest vessels ever to visit a North American port. It’s bigger than the CMA Benjamin Franklin which came to Oakland in 2016. That ship can carry 18,000 20-foot containers.
Over the past decade, the Port has dredged waterways and raised container cranes to receive so-called megaships. The largest cargo vessels anywhere in North America arrive in Oakland daily, the Port said.
San Francisco Bar Pilots said they’ve undertaken extensive planning with the Port and MSC to prepare for the arrival of the MSC Anna. Pilots navigate ships in and out of San Francisco Bay and guide them to ports.
According to Joseph Long, President of the Bar Pilots Association, preparations for the MSC Anna’s arrival included computer simulations at the Cal State Maritime Academy in Vallejo. The simulations contributed to a better understanding of navigational demands created by megaships, he explained.
“The San Francisco Bay is one of the most challenging pilotage grounds in the world and safely piloting these huge ships requires expertise and significant training,” Capt. Long said. “The COVID-19 crisis has highlighted the importance of the global supply chain to our region’s economy. We are pleased to continue our tradition of safety and service to support this vital part of the infrastructure.”
About the Port of Oakland
The Port of Oakland oversees the Oakland Seaport, Oakland International Airport, and nearly 20 miles of waterfront including Jack London Square. The Port’s 5-year strategic plan – Growth with Care – pairs business expansion with community benefits, envisioning more jobs and economic stimulus as the Port grows. Together with its business partners, the Port supports more than 84,000 jobs in Northern California. Connect with the Port of Oakland and Oakland International Airport through Facebook, or with the Port on Twitter, YouTube, and at www.portofoakland.com.
About the San Francisco Bar Pilots
For 170 years, the San Francisco Bar Pilots have been navigating the world’s largest ships through some of North America’s most difficult waterways. These state and federally-licensed master mariners are highly-specialized ship captains who rely on navigational experience, ship-handling skills, and local knowledge to transport more than $1.2 billion in goods to and from 200 Bay Area ports and maritime facilities every day. This critical service protects more than 1,000 miles of fragile coastline and 90 percent of the state’s marshlands. Learn more at www.sfbarpilots.com.
This post based on a press release from The Port of Oakland to Zennie62Media.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- ‘Absolutely, this is a coup’: Adviser to Sudan’s PM speaks to CNN October 25, 2021
- $1000 for Tom Brady’s Game Ball? | Good Morning Football October 25, 2021
- FREE NFL 10/25/21 Picks and Predictions Today NFL Betting Tips and Analysis October 25, 2021
- Amazon is a microcosm of the U.S. economy, says Fast Money editor October 25, 2021
- Chicago Bears Live – Matt Nagy Media Availability October 25, 2021
- NBA Betting Today – Monday 10/25 – Picks + Props + Sports Betting Analysis October 25, 2021
- Julianna Margulies on playing an LGBTQ+ character on “The Morning Show” October 25, 2021
- Storm dumps fresh snow across the sierra October 25, 2021
- Jumpsuit Plus Sizes / Women’s Clothing Boutique Fashion Trends 💕 October 25, 2021
- Turk: If I Was Still an Addict, I Would Look for the Drugs that Killed Michael K Williams (Part 15) October 25, 2021
- Citigroup CEO: ‘Very tangible benefits’ come from digital currencies October 25, 2021
- Finn Bálor’s Demon summons him: WWE Canvas 2 Canvas October 25, 2021
- Awarding the Best Performances of Week 7 | Good Morning Football October 25, 2021
- New Jersey Governor: We Can’t Afford To Go Backwards October 25, 2021
- Sexy Stylish Skirts / Women’s Clothing Boutique Fashion Trends 🌸 October 25, 2021
- #Shorts Rachel Scott of ABC News gives us a news brief on Texas Abortion Law Consequences October 25, 2021
- Verizon Game Rewind | Warriors Complete California Sweep in Sacramento – Oct. 24, 2021 October 25, 2021
- BREAKING: Petrol price hits a record 142.94p per litre October 25, 2021
- Understanding Facebook’s issues ahead of the company’s Q3 earnings report October 25, 2021
- Rex Ryan does NOT believe in the Green Bay Packers’ defense | Get Up October 25, 2021
- ‘Squid Game’ sparks global Korean Dalgona candy craze October 25, 2021
- Top African goalscorers | Premier League | Riyad Mahrez, Mohamed Salah, Didier Drogba & more October 25, 2021
- Braves headed to the World Series for the first time since 1999 October 25, 2021
- Citigroup CEO Jane Fraser joins Yahoo Finance’s All Markets Summit 2021 October 25, 2021
- ‘Day of reckoning’ for tech industry, Lo Toney says October 25, 2021
- WorldView: Sudan’s acting prime minister detained in apparent military coup October 25, 2021
- Jason Sudeikis Reprises His Joe Biden Impression On ‘Saturday Night Live’ October 25, 2021
- World Series Preview: Astros, Braves show down in 2021 Fall Classic! October 25, 2021
- Tamron Hall talks new book, ‘As the Wicked Watch’ October 25, 2021
- Andrew Ross Sorkin: Facebook Controversies Won’t Impact Company’s Bottom Line October 25, 2021
- Republicans block voting rights bill as filibuster threatens Biden’s agenda October 25, 2021
- Citigroup CEO on inflation: ‘We’re probably in for a bit of a brutal winter’ October 25, 2021
- Nikki A.S.H Learns Things About India: WWE Superstars Ki Paathshala – Ep.3: WWE Now India October 25, 2021
- Alissa Violet SUING FaZe Clan for Shares of $300 Million Org October 25, 2021
- Robert Costa: Trump Was Calling Into Willard ‘War Room’ October 25, 2021
- Setting Up A Make-Or-Break Week For Infrastructure: Where Are We? October 25, 2021
- NBA Picks 10/25/2021 | Free NBA Bets, Picks, and Predictions October 25, 2021
- Boris Johnson ‘Touch and Go’ If COP26 Climate Summit Will Be a Success October 25, 2021
- Protests Erupt in Sudan As Prime Minister Arrested in Military Takeover October 25, 2021
- Surprising Banks With His Dream Gift October 25, 2021