ONN – Port Of Oakland Update June 2020 Board President Cestra Butner On Black Lives Matter
Port of Oakland Board President speaks out for social justice
‘There’s no question we support Black Lives Matter’ – ‘Ces’ Butner
Oakland, Calif. – June 19, 2020: Port of Oakland Board President Ces Butner denounced social injustice today as West Coast dockworkers prepared to protest racism. The Port must stand up for what’s right, President Butner declared in an online video interview distributed to employees and the public.
“There’s no question that we stand behind the Black Lives Matter movement,” said the 8-year-veteran of the Port’s Board of Port Commissioners. “We want this country to live up to what it’s supposed to be.”
The President’s comments coincided with demonstrations planned today at 29 seaports in California, Oregon and Washington. Dockworkers say they’ll protest the May 25 killing of George Floyd, a black man, by Minneapolis police. Oakland, longshore workers have indicated they plan to assemble at the Port, then march downtown.
The Port issued a statement June 6 supporting the movement for social and racial justice. President Butner, a prominent African American business leader, endorsed the action, but called for more. “I’m proud the Port has a statement on this issue,” he said in the video. “Now we have to follow that up with our actions. We must ask: are we making everything equal?”
President Butner updated the Port’s status during his 9-minute video interview conducted via Zoom. He said the Port is maintaining full operations despite the coronavirus pandemic. He added that the pandemic’s drag on global economic activity has significantly reduced Port revenue.
The Board President directed his most forceful comments at the social unrest roiling communities worldwide. “As a black man in America, I’ve experienced almost everything being talked about,” said President Butner. “As Commissioners, we will demand that the Port seek social justice.”
Note from Zennie62Media and Oakland News Now: this video-blog post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest updated version of an experimental Zennie62Media , Inc. mobile media video-blogging system network that was launched June 2018. This is a major part of Zennie62Media , Inc.’s new and innovative approach to the production of news media. What we call “The Third Wave of Media”. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and Zennie62-created and owned social media pages. The overall objective is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. Now, news is reported with a smartphone: no heavy and expensive cameras or even a laptop are necessary. The secondary objective is faster, and very inexpensive media content news production and distribution. We have found there is a disconnect between post length and time to product and revenue generated. With this, the problem is far less, though by no means solved. Zennie62Media is constantly working to improve the system network coding and seeks interested content and media technology partners.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Oakland Police Should March In Solidarity With Black Community Post Derek Chauvin Verdict
- Raiders “I Can Breathe” Tweet: What Was Las Vegas Thinking With That Derek Chauvin Verdict Entry?
- President Biden and Vice President Harris Address the Nation on the Derek Chauvin Trial Verdict
- Oakland Tech’s Ahmed Muhammad School’s 1st Black Male Valedictorian On Day Of Derek Chauvin Verdict
- Derek Chauvin Murder Trial Verdict Livestream Reaction Vlog After Murder Of George Floyd
- Derek Chauvin Murder Trial Verdict Reaction Vlog After Murder Of George Floyd
- WATCH LIVE: Jury in Derek Chauvin trial expected to return a verdict
- Oakland School News: OUSD Unveil’s New Green Schoolyard In Celebration Of Earth Day
- A Shooting Has Taken Place At A Stop & Shop In West Hempstead, NY, By: Vinny Lospinuso
- Look At Oakland Lake Merritt Instagram Videos Shows Fun Gathering – Are Complaints Just Racism?
- Oakland Lake Merritt Vendors Move From Lakeshore To Grand Avenue, But Racist Take Remains
- Memories of Roy Steele, Oakland A’s Announcer
- Oakland Police Chief Antioch Press Conference
- Oakland Mayor’s Town Hall Budget Summit – Guaranteed Income
- Renaming to White Supremacy Resolution
- The Sounds Of Oakland: Sideshow Season 2021 OPD Responds
- Amtrak Capital Corridor #527 train Southbound at The Oakland Coliseum Amtrak Station 4KHD
- More Oakland Unified Elementary Students Return to School
- The Sounds Of Oakland: The OPD Engagement Of The 2021 Protest Season
- 11370 Golf Links Road, Oakland, CA | Michael and Nicole Wilhelm, Compass