Oakland, CA – Port of Oakland Executive Director Danny Wan delivered a message today to trade and transportation workers: “you are heroes.” His remarks came as the Port and its Oakland International Airport continued full operations midst a coronavirus crisis.
The Port of Oakland Executive Director thanked staff and business partners for keeping planes flying and the supply chain moving. At the same time, he urged workers to maintain social distance and observe all other health/safety protocols.
“In this extraordinary time, you have shown remarkable commitment to your work and to a world that depends on us,” Mr. Wan said. “Now all I can ask is that you stay vigilant…and stay safe.”
The Executive Director’s message followed a declaration this week that the Port of Oakland is an essential business. That means its Airport and Seaport remain fully operational despite a shelter-in-place order issued by Alameda County.
Mr. Wan praised Port of Oakland staff for maintaining critical functions to prevent disruption to air travel or supply chains. He thanked more than 80,000 workers in Northern California whose jobs relate to activity at the Airport or Seaport.
“We’re not in this alone,” Mr. Wan pointed out. “Think of the Air Traffic Control workers, TSA agents and airline workers at the Airport. What about the truck drivers, longshore workers or warehouse technicians at the Seaport? It takes all of us to provide mobility, deliver goods and keep our communities strong while we fight the coronavirus contagion.”
Roughly 7 million San Francisco Bay Area residents are isolated following shelter-in-place orders from six counties. The mandates are intended to limit the spread of coronavirus. Alameda County, where the Airport and Seaport operate, exempted the Port of Oakland because of its critical economic impact. County health officials extended the exemption to all supply chain operators, from railroads and truckers to distribution facilities.
The Port said coronavirus concerns have diminished Airport passenger traffic and Seaport cargo volume. It added, however, that operations remain normal with no disruption at either location.
About the Port of Oakland
The Port of Oakland oversees the Oakland Seaport, Oakland International Airport, and nearly 20 miles of waterfront including Jack London Square. The Port’s 5-year strategic plan – Growth with Care – pairs business expansion with community benefits, envisioning more jobs and economic stimulus as the Port grows. Together with its business partners, the Port supports more than 84,000 jobs. Connect with the Port of Oakland and Oakland International Airport through Facebook, or with the Port on Twitter, YouTube, and at www.portofoakland.com.
The Port of Oakland sent a press release to Zennie62Media. This post is based on that transmission.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Oakland Police Possibly To Arrest Me For Protest- By Derrick Soo
- Oakland Police possibly to Arrest Me for Protest by Derrick Soo
- Oakland News Now at OaklandNewsNow.com Is The Most Advanced Active News Blog Website Ever In Oakland
- 2021 NFL Mock Draft V2 Livestream By Zennie62Media For April 17th
- Former Oakland Mayor Elihu Harris On ESPN 30-For-30 Raiders Al Davis vs. NFL – The Aftermath
- Elihu Harris Former Oakland Mayor On ESPN 30-For-30, “Al Davis Versus The NFL”
- Walk Down MacArthur Blvd To Grand Av In Oakland Adams Point Made Into Instagram Art
- Oakland Marriott City Center Has Striking Mural Of Young Black Girl At Play That’s Amazing
- Detroit Tigers vs Oakland Athletics Highlights April 16, 2021 – MLB Highlights | MLB Season 2021
- Peaceful Demonstration Over Deadly Police Shootings Turns Violent in Oakland
- Demonstration in Oakland to Protest Police Shootings Turns Violent
- Kevin Samuels And Kevin Durant Use White-Owned Social Media To Say Bad Things About Black Folks
- Oakland NAACP Response to District Curriculum Adoption Recommendation.
- COVID-19 Vaccine At Dodger Stadium – By Joseph Armendariz
- The Alley Cat Bar In Oakland At 3325 Grand Avenue To Reopen Thursday April 22 2021
- Erica Chapman Makeup Artist In Deshaun Watson Lawsuit Poses Prostitute Problem For Tony Buzbee
- Marshawn Lynch: Sitting Down With Dr. Anthony Fauci
- OUSD Oakland Girls To Be In Soroptimist International’s “Steps to Success” On Saturday
- Derrick Soo Says WhereDoWeGoOakland.tv, A Remarkable Oakland Housing Effort, Is Active
- Sam Wilson Becomes Captain America In The Epic Falcon And The Winter Soldier Episode 5