Oakland, CA – Port of Oakland Executive Director Danny Wan delivered a message today to trade and transportation workers: “you are heroes.” His remarks came as the Port and its Oakland International Airport continued full operations midst a coronavirus crisis.
The Port of Oakland Executive Director thanked staff and business partners for keeping planes flying and the supply chain moving. At the same time, he urged workers to maintain social distance and observe all other health/safety protocols.
“In this extraordinary time, you have shown remarkable commitment to your work and to a world that depends on us,” Mr. Wan said. “Now all I can ask is that you stay vigilant…and stay safe.”
The Executive Director’s message followed a declaration this week that the Port of Oakland is an essential business. That means its Airport and Seaport remain fully operational despite a shelter-in-place order issued by Alameda County.
Mr. Wan praised Port of Oakland staff for maintaining critical functions to prevent disruption to air travel or supply chains. He thanked more than 80,000 workers in Northern California whose jobs relate to activity at the Airport or Seaport.
“We’re not in this alone,” Mr. Wan pointed out. “Think of the Air Traffic Control workers, TSA agents and airline workers at the Airport. What about the truck drivers, longshore workers or warehouse technicians at the Seaport? It takes all of us to provide mobility, deliver goods and keep our communities strong while we fight the coronavirus contagion.”
Roughly 7 million San Francisco Bay Area residents are isolated following shelter-in-place orders from six counties. The mandates are intended to limit the spread of coronavirus. Alameda County, where the Airport and Seaport operate, exempted the Port of Oakland because of its critical economic impact. County health officials extended the exemption to all supply chain operators, from railroads and truckers to distribution facilities.
The Port said coronavirus concerns have diminished Airport passenger traffic and Seaport cargo volume. It added, however, that operations remain normal with no disruption at either location.
About the Port of Oakland
The Port of Oakland oversees the Oakland Seaport, Oakland International Airport, and nearly 20 miles of waterfront including Jack London Square. The Port’s 5-year strategic plan – Growth with Care – pairs business expansion with community benefits, envisioning more jobs and economic stimulus as the Port grows. Together with its business partners, the Port supports more than 84,000 jobs. Connect with the Port of Oakland and Oakland International Airport through Facebook, or with the Port on Twitter, YouTube, and at www.portofoakland.com.
The Port of Oakland sent a press release to Zennie62Media. This post is based on that transmission.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Oakland City Council Unanimously Approves Vice Mayor Rebecca Kaplan’s Proposal To Support Litigation Against Ghost Guns October 20, 2021
- Henry Ruggs III Mic’d Up vs. Broncos: ‘All Bama on the Board!’ | Week 6 | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL October 20, 2021
- Boxing Sandor Martin Stuns Boxing World By Defeating Former Champ Mikey Garcia By Eric Pangilinan October 19, 2021
- Meet Jon Bean, Oakland Rising’s Deputy Director Taks With Liz Suk, Executive Director October 19, 2021
- Philadelphia Eagles vs Las Vegas Raiders | Week 7 NFL Game Preview October 19, 2021
- Oakland hills firestorm marks 30th anniversary October 19, 2021
- 30 years later: Remembering the Oakland Hills Fire October 19, 2021
- Los Bukis ULTIMO CONCIERTO 2021 Oakland CA I Mi Mayor Necesidad October 19, 2021
- In-N-Out Burger in Battle With San Francisco Health Officials Over COVID Rules October 19, 2021
- Braves vs Dodgers Game 3 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 19, 2021
- TITANS y BILLS se baten en un ASOMBROSO duelo de MONDAY NIGH | Semana 6 2021 NFL Game Highlights October 19, 2021
- LIVE SPORTS TALK! Monday Night Football Bills Titans Recap, MLB Playoffs, Next LSU Head Coach? October 19, 2021
- San Francisco Leaders Offer Cash Rewards in Hopes of Reducing Car Break-Ins October 19, 2021
- Buffalo Bills vs Tennessee Titans Full Highligh 4th Quarter | NFL Week 6, 2021 October 19, 2021
- Deputy chase underway in LA County October 19, 2021
- New Plan to Fight Car Break-Ins in San Francisco October 19, 2021
- Every Team’s Best Play From Week 6 | NFL 2021 Highlights October 19, 2021
- 49ers News TODAY: 49ers Injury Report, DeForest Buckner RETURNS, Trent Williams, Aaron Banks, Lynch October 19, 2021
- 30 years later: KTVU reporter recalls being trapped by Oakland Hills firestorm October 19, 2021
- Film Study: Raiders Defensive Line is causing Havoc October 19, 2021
- Raiders Sign Desmond Trufant + Raiders Rumors On Clelin Ferrell Trade, D.J. Hayden & Derek Carr October 19, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Alex Leatherwood Playing Better At The Guard Position By Eric Pangilinan October 19, 2021
- Raw Video: San Francisco Announces Cash Rewards To Stop Auto Burglary-Fueled Fencing Operations October 19, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders: Former Pro Bowl DB Desmond Trufant Signs With Raiders By Joseph Armendariz October 19, 2021
- ILUW Local 10, The Shipping Backlog & The Working Class with ILWU Local 10 Pres Trent Willis October 19, 2021
- MLB LIVE: Los Angeles Dodgers vs Atlanta Braves Live stream – Braves vs Dodgers Live October 19, 2021
- Raiders Rumors & News On Trade Clelin Ferrell, Derek Carr & Josh Jacobs + 2021 NFL Trade Candidates October 19, 2021
- Cal Football: Jake Tonges Press Conference (10.19.21) October 19, 2021
- Cal Football: Femi Oladejo Press Conference (10.19.21) October 19, 2021
- Cal Football: Justin Wilcox Press Conference (10.19.21) October 19, 2021