MSC Anna is the largest ship ever to visit the Port of Oakland
CLICK HERE FOR PHOTO GALLERY OF MSC ANNA
Oakland, Calif. – April 17, 2020: Port of Oakland officials bid farewell tonight to the biggest ship ever to visit this city. They add that the 32-hour call of the MSC Anna is proceeding on schedule.
The 1,312-foot-long container vessel departs for Busan, South Korea, sometime after 9 p.m. from a berth in Oakland Estuary. The Liberian-registered megaship is loading and unloading 1,486 cargo containers in Oakland. The Port reports no problems with cargo transfers despite the unprecedented size of the MSC Anna.
“We’re not newcomers at this,” said Port of Oakland Maritime Director John Driscoll. “We work big ships every day, and the folks on the docks are proving once again that Oakland can handle them efficiently.”
The MSC Anna docked April 16 at Oakland International Container Terminal. The terminal is the busiest in Oakland, handling 20-to-25 vessels weekly. It’s using Oakland’s tallest ship-to-shore cranes to hoist the MSC Anna’s cargo. San Francisco Bar Pilots will guide the ship out of Port after cargo operations conclude.
With room for 19,200 20-foot boxes, the MSC Anna is one of the largest container ships ever in North America. Besides transporting cargo, the ship was dispatched to the West Coast to collect empty containers, the Port said. Shipping lines have hinted that MSC Anna-size ships may enter regular service here in the near future.
Before this week, the largest ship to call Oakland was the CMA Benjamin Franklin in 2016. That ship is 1,300-feet-long with a cargo capacity of 18,000 containers. The Port routinely handles the largest container ships in regular service to U.S. ports.
About the Port of Oakland
The Port of Oakland oversees the Oakland Seaport, Oakland International Airport, and nearly 20 miles of waterfront including Jack London Square. The Port’s 5-year strategic plan – Growth with Care – pairs business expansion with community benefits, envisioning more jobs and economic stimulus as the Port grows. Together with its business partners, the Port supports more than 84,000 jobs in Northern California. Connect with the Port of Oakland and Oakland International Airport through Facebook, or with the Port on Twitter, YouTube, and at www.portofoakland.com.
This post based on a press release from the Port of Oakland to Zennie62Media.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Kevin Durant Saves The Brooklyn Nets Season In Game Five Against The Bucks, By: Vinny Lospinuso
- Homeless Encampment Believed To Be Cause Of Fire In Irwindale CA By Joseph Armendariz
- Derek Carr Is A Good Example Of What Being A Raider Means – By Eric Pangilinan
- Las Vegas Raiders: Josh Jacob’s Derek Carr Mini Camp Press Conference My Take Joseph Armendariz
- Charles Barkley Says He Not Having Fun Anymore Because Of Cancel Culture -By Eric Pangilinan
- Charles Barkley Says He Not Having Fun Anymore
- What Will Be The Raiders Keys To Having A Winning Season: By Eric pangilinan
- Howard Terminal Ballpark Oakland A’s Presentation To Alameda County With City of Oakland
- Charles Barkley Slams Cancel cultre !!by Eric pangilinan
- Will Derek Carr Get A Contract Extention From The Raiders?by Eric pangilinan
- Philippines Fight Vs China Over West Philippines Sea by Eric pangilinan
- Dave Kaval Oakland A’s President Howard Terminal Presentation Slides For Alameda County Meeting
- Gavin Newsom Celebrates California Reopening Day – Visit The Alley, Oakland On Grand Ave
- An Uptown Oakland Axe-Wielding Black Man With Mental Issues Life Was Saved By Not Calling OPD
- Katherine Tai United States Trade Representative Ambassador On-the-Record Press Call
- The Oakland Athletics Howard Terminal Ballpark Spreadsheet Vlog Part 1
- Oakland East Bay Black Professionals Association Juneteenth Jubilee Saturday June 19th
- Las Vegas Raiders Henry Ruggs 11 says He Is Ready To Make A Statement by Eric Pangilinan
- Lebron James Says Get Him Some Damian Lillard To LA Lakers Tampering By Eric Pangilinan
- Ray Bobbitt And Robert Bobb Of AASEG Talks WNBA At Oakland Arena Progress