MSC Anna is the largest ship ever to visit the Port of Oakland
CLICK HERE FOR PHOTO GALLERY OF MSC ANNA
Oakland, Calif. – April 17, 2020: Port of Oakland officials bid farewell tonight to the biggest ship ever to visit this city. They add that the 32-hour call of the MSC Anna is proceeding on schedule.
The 1,312-foot-long container vessel departs for Busan, South Korea, sometime after 9 p.m. from a berth in Oakland Estuary. The Liberian-registered megaship is loading and unloading 1,486 cargo containers in Oakland. The Port reports no problems with cargo transfers despite the unprecedented size of the MSC Anna.
“We’re not newcomers at this,” said Port of Oakland Maritime Director John Driscoll. “We work big ships every day, and the folks on the docks are proving once again that Oakland can handle them efficiently.”
The MSC Anna docked April 16 at Oakland International Container Terminal. The terminal is the busiest in Oakland, handling 20-to-25 vessels weekly. It’s using Oakland’s tallest ship-to-shore cranes to hoist the MSC Anna’s cargo. San Francisco Bar Pilots will guide the ship out of Port after cargo operations conclude.
With room for 19,200 20-foot boxes, the MSC Anna is one of the largest container ships ever in North America. Besides transporting cargo, the ship was dispatched to the West Coast to collect empty containers, the Port said. Shipping lines have hinted that MSC Anna-size ships may enter regular service here in the near future.
Before this week, the largest ship to call Oakland was the CMA Benjamin Franklin in 2016. That ship is 1,300-feet-long with a cargo capacity of 18,000 containers. The Port routinely handles the largest container ships in regular service to U.S. ports.
About the Port of Oakland
The Port of Oakland oversees the Oakland Seaport, Oakland International Airport, and nearly 20 miles of waterfront including Jack London Square. The Port’s 5-year strategic plan – Growth with Care – pairs business expansion with community benefits, envisioning more jobs and economic stimulus as the Port grows. Together with its business partners, the Port supports more than 84,000 jobs in Northern California. Connect with the Port of Oakland and Oakland International Airport through Facebook, or with the Port on Twitter, YouTube, and at www.portofoakland.com.
This post based on a press release from the Port of Oakland to Zennie62Media.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- City of Oakland, Partners, Welcome New Brooklyn Basin Affordable Housing Units Residents
- VP Kamala Harris On Diplomacy With Mexico Northern Triangle Countries During Press Gaggle
- Marvel Studios’ Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings | Official Teaser
- Oakland Schools News: OEA & OUSD Reach Tentative Agreement On 21-22 School Year Calendar
- Rusty Hardin, Deshaun Watson Lawyer, Asserts Client’s Innocence In Statement After Filing Response
- WhereDoWeGoOakland Is An Oakland Success By Derrick Soo
- Texans QB Deshaun Watson Answer To 22 Tony Buzbee Lawsuits Details Lies, Money Grab
- First Flight of the Ingenuity Mars Helicopter: Live from Mission Control
- LIVE: Press Briefing by White House COVID-19 Response Team — 4/19/21
- WHITE HOUSE LIVE CAM – Washington D.C. | USA | earthTV®
- USS Oakland (LCS-24) Commissioning Ceremony
- Capolow Talks Oakland, The Bay Area, Having His Own Strain, Signing To Cinematic
- USS Oakland (LCS 24) Joins the Fleet
- Daunte Wright and Adam Toledo Protest – Oakland 4/16
- Oakland A’s 2021 Final Out and Win Celebration VS Detroit Tigers 4/17/21
- Oakland Pre-K Through 6th Grade Classes Set to Reopen Monday
- Port of Oakland Drone Flight 4K
- Resurrection Oakland Church | April 18, 2021. 10am
- 2021 NFL Mock Draft V3 Livestream By Zennie62Media For April 18th
- Katy Perry Backs That Ass Up To Shocked Luke Bryan On American Idol