Oakland, Ca – Fewer container ships would likely mean less cargo at the Port of Oakland this spring. That was the message Oakland Maritime officials delivered to the Harbor Trucking Association last week.
The Port of Oakland told freight haulers via video conference that 20 May and June voyages to Oakland have been scrubbed. The result could be a 5-to-15 percent drop in containerized cargo volume heading into summer.
“It’s a clouded picture,” said Port of Oakland Business Development Manager Andrew Hwang. “About 10 percent of our scheduled vessel arrivals have been canceled by shipping lines, but we don’t know if that will translate into a similar drop in volume.”
The Port of Oakland blamed vessel cancellations on the coronavirus pandemic which has stunted global trade. With consumer spending down, there’s less merchandise to load onto ships. That means fewer vessels needed between Asian manufacturing centers and U.S. ports. Import volume is expected to suffer the biggest cargo decline in coming months, the Port said.
Demand for Oakland exports remains strong, but voyage cancellations could place some markets beyond reach, the Port explained. Fruit, nut and meat exports are particularly coveted by overseas trading partners, especially in Asia, the Port said. It added that Oakland exports to South Korea increased 31 percent last month, and to Japan,18 percent.
The Port said cargo is moving smoothly through Oakland. There are no shortages of labor or equipment, it added.
The Port cautioned, however, that the coronavirus pandemic could permanently alter container transportation practices. Shipping lines may consolidate more cargo on bigger ships while reducing the frequency of voyages, the Port said.
Supply chains could be altered, too, the Port said. For example, the online purchasing explosion prompted by shelter-in-place orders may hasten distribution center reconfiguration or consolidation. Distribution hubs could be relocated to more central locations to serve population centers from fewer outlets.
“We’ll be facing a new normal,” said Mr. Hwang. “Distribution patterns will change…it won’t be like it was.”
About the Port of Oakland
The Port of Oakland oversees the Oakland Seaport, Oakland International Airport, and nearly 20 miles of waterfront including Jack London Square. The Port’s 5-year strategic plan – Growth with Care – pairs business expansion with community benefits, envisioning more jobs and economic stimulus as the Port grows. Together with its business partners, the Port supports more than 84,000 jobs. Connect with the Port of Oakland and Oakland International Airport through Facebook, or with the Port on Twitter, YouTube, and at www.portofoakland.com.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- NFL REACTS TO LAS VEGAS RAIDERS BEATING PHILADELPHIA EAGLES | LAS VEGAS RAIDERS WINS 33-22 October 24, 2021
- BEARS VS BUCS (Live Reaction) – Tom Brady 600th Passing TD October 24, 2021
- Jalen Green Levitates for the Dunk to Give Him 28 Pts in the Game! October 24, 2021
- Moscone rain shelter at capacity October 24, 2021
- GO EAGLES! / Philadelphia vr Las Vegas Raiders October 24, 2021
- ‘That was a shocker!’ | Neville gives damning verdict on Man Utd October 24, 2021
- “Welcome to the League” Joel Embiid HARD Foul on rookie Josh Giddey October 24, 2021
- 49ers Get the Interception in the Red Zone! October 24, 2021
- Moritz Wagner With the NASTY DUNK Over Obi Toppin October 24, 2021
- San Anselmo Creek could flood October 24, 2021
- Storm Sends Trees Crashing Down Across San Francisco October 24, 2021
- NFL DFS Showdown Live Before Lock SNF Week 7 Colts vs. 49ers Showdown | October 17 October 24, 2021
- Matt Nagy on loss to Buccaneers | Chicago Bears October 24, 2021
- 49ers vs Colts Live Streaming Scoreboard, Play-By-Play, 49ers Highlights, Updates, Stats| NFL Week 7 October 24, 2021
- Rain Not Bothering the Colts October 24, 2021
- Who’s to blame for the Eagles’ terrible defense against the Raiders | Eagles Postgame Live October 24, 2021
- NFL PICKS: New Orleans Saints vs Seattle Seahawks | 🏈 NFL Best Bets | NFL Picks Today October 24, 2021
- Al Horford Teaches Rookie Alperen Sengun A Lesson 👀 October 24, 2021
- Candal Vigil for Halyna Hutchinsn After Fatal Shooting October 24, 2021
- NFL LIVE : San Francisco 49ers vs Indianapolis Colts | NFL 2021 Week 7 October 24, 2021
- Victory Speech: Sean McVay Hands Out Game Balls After Week 7 Win vs. Lions October 24, 2021
- Coach Bisaccia, Carr, Ngakoue, Moreau, Miller and Drake Postgame Presser | Week 7 | Raiders | NFL October 24, 2021
- Philadelphia Eagles vs Las Vegas Raiders | Semana 7 2021 NFL Game Highlights October 24, 2021
- Santa Rosa apartment building, 95 homes evacuated due to flooding October 24, 2021
- Khalil Herbert Highlights from Week 7 | Chicago Bears October 24, 2021
- Storm Watch Forecast: The latest storm forecast from the KPIX 5 weather team October 24, 2021
- Mitchell Robinson With a KNEE INJURY 😨 October 24, 2021
- Golden State Warriors VS Sacramento Kings 10/24/21 Free NBA Picks And Prediction NBA Betting Tips October 24, 2021
- Khalil Herbert talks loss to Buccaneers | Chicago Bears October 24, 2021
- Justin Fields on loss to Tampa Bay: ‘We gotta continue to work’ | Chicago Bears October 24, 2021
- Roquan Smith: ‘Can’t let this game beat us twice’ | Chicago Bears October 24, 2021
- SNF LIVE: Indianapolis Colts @ San Francisco 49ers Live stream – 49ers vs. Colts LIVE October 24, 2021
- The Book of Eli! 49ers March Down the Field on the Ground October 24, 2021
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs Chicago Bears Full Highligh 2nd Quarter | NFL Week 7, 2021 October 24, 2021
- NC State vs. Miami Football Highlight (2021) October 24, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders vs Philadelphia Eagles Full Game Highlights | NFL Week 7 2021 October 24, 2021
- NBA Fan Makes $20,000 Half Court Shot October 24, 2021
- Google Account बनाना सीखे 2021 | 🧐Bilkul आसान Hai | Always Tech Knowledge October 24, 2021
- STORM TRACKER 2: Bay Area hit hard with heavy rain and strong wind October 24, 2021
- San Mateo Evacuation orders October 24, 2021