Port of Oakland closed first of two bond sales Dec. 3, 2020
Oakland – The Port of Oakland said today it is refinancing $544 million of debt with its new bond offerings. The public agency completed its bond pricing Nov. 19, 2020. Due to favorable market conditions, the Port expects to achieve net present value savings of approximately $87 million. In quite simple terms, it’s like refinancing a home at a lower interest rate, thereby lowering the cost of future debt payments.
The first of two planned bond sales closed Dec. 3. Closings are when bonds are delivered to investors in exchange for funds. The next closing is set for Feb. 2, 2021.
“We went to market at just the right time,” said Port of Oakland Acting Chief Financial Officer Julie Lam. “The strength of our diverse business lines and S&P (Standard and Poors) removing a negative watch while maintaining our ratings, helped us to stand out in the market.” The Port of Oakland has three revenue divisions: maritime, aviation and commercial real estate.
S&P affirmed the Port of Oakland long-term ratings at ‘A+’ for the Port’s senior-lien bonds, ‘A’ for its intermediate-lien bonds, and removed a negative watch they placed on the Port’s rating in August 2020.
As a key credit strength, S&P stated in its ratings report that the Port of Oakland has “very strong management and governance, as evidenced by an experienced, proactive, and effective management team with prudent financial, risk, and debt management practices.”
Port of Oakland owns and operates Oakland International Airport (OAK). OAK is one of a small number of airports that S&P has not downgraded. S&P cited the Port’s diverse revenue, strong liquidity position, and vital role as a provider of transportation infrastructure assets within Northern California. The outlook is still negative, but as the S&P report said, this is to reflect the unpredictability for air travel demand, the effects of which will continue to put pressure on the Port’s financial metrics.
Fitch affirmed the Port’s senior lien rating at ‘A+’ and intermediate lien rating at ‘A’. Fitch recognized the Port’s diverse revenue and Maritime’s long-term lease agreements as strengths. The Fitch analysis also recognized the Port of Oakland’s conservative debt structure, modest capital plan, and strong financial position prior to impacts of the coronavirus. The outlook is negative, reflecting industry-wide adverse impacts of the coronavirus on Port operations and financial performance and the uncertainty around the timing and size of a recovery.
Moody’s assigned a rating of ‘A1’ on the Port’s Senior Lien refunding bonds and ‘A2’ on the Port’s intermediate Lien refunding bonds with a stable outlook. Moody’s cited good business diversity between the seaport and airport, strong liquidity, good debt service coverage, and a conservative financial plan that preserves flexibility, healthy liquidity, and debt coverage metrics. Moody’s outlook for the Port of Oakland is stable due to an expectation that continued maritime stability, a strong regional economy, and manageable risk on the maritime side will support stability through this period of potential revenue volatility.
About the Port of Oakland
The Port of Oakland oversees the Oakland Seaport, Oakland International Airport, and nearly 20 miles of waterfront including Jack London Square. The Port’s 5-year strategic plan – Growth with Care – pairs business expansion with community benefits, envisioning more jobs and economic stimulus as the Port grows. Together with its business partners, the Port supports more than 84,000 jobs. Connect with the Port of Oakland and Oakland International Airport through Facebook, or with the Port on Twitter, YouTube, and at www.portofoakland.com.
Post based on press release sent to Zennie62Media by The Port of Oakland.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Skateboarders Making Pilgrimage to San Francisco’s Pier 7, Following Vandalism October 20, 2021
- NEW NBA odds released, plus MLB playoffs and NFL WEEK 6 Recap October 20, 2021
- 30 Years Later: East Bay Remembers Oakland Hills Fire October 20, 2021
- San Francisco In N Out temporarily closed over city’s proof of COVID 19 October 20, 2021
- Public Enemy – 30th Anniversary Oaktown’s On Fire! – Kaiser Conv. Center – Oakland, CA – 10/20/1991 October 20, 2021
- Anthrax – 30th Anniversary Oaktown’s On Fire! – Kaiser Convention Center – Oakland, CA – 10/20/1991 October 20, 2021
- Primus – 30th Anniversary Oaktown’s On Fire! – Kaiser Convention Center – Oakland, CA – 10/20/1991 October 20, 2021
- Lakers Postgame: Anthony Davis (10/19/21) October 20, 2021
- Mark Zuckerberg’s Post On Facebook’s Impact On America Forgets U.S. Diversity Makes It Ripe Target For Hate Content October 20, 2021
- Lakers Postgame: LeBron James (10/19/21) October 20, 2021
- Lakers Postgame: Frank Vogel (10/19/21) October 20, 2021
- Oakland PD Hates On Doja October 20, 2021
- Astros vs Red Sox Game 4 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 20, 2021
- HIGHLIGHTS | Los Angeles Lakers vs Golden State Warriors October 20, 2021
- HIGHLIGHTS | LeBron James (34 pts, 5 ast, 11 reb) vs Golden State Warriors October 20, 2021
- HIGHLIGHTS | Anthony Davis (33 pts, 11 reb) vs Golden State Warriors October 20, 2021
- Stephen Curry Tallies a Triple-Double in Season Opener! | Oct. 19, 2021 October 20, 2021
- Oakland City Council Unanimously Approves Vice Mayor Rebecca Kaplan’s Proposal To Support Litigation Against Ghost Guns October 20, 2021
- Henry Ruggs III Mic’d Up vs. Broncos: ‘All Bama on the Board!’ | Week 6 | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL October 20, 2021
- Boxing Sandor Martin Stuns Boxing World By Defeating Former Champ Mikey Garcia By Eric Pangilinan October 19, 2021
- Meet Jon Bean, Oakland Rising’s Deputy Director Taks With Liz Suk, Executive Director October 19, 2021
- Philadelphia Eagles vs Las Vegas Raiders | Week 7 NFL Game Preview October 19, 2021
- Oakland hills firestorm marks 30th anniversary October 19, 2021
- 30 years later: Remembering the Oakland Hills Fire October 19, 2021
- Los Bukis ULTIMO CONCIERTO 2021 Oakland CA I Mi Mayor Necesidad October 19, 2021
- In-N-Out Burger in Battle With San Francisco Health Officials Over COVID Rules October 19, 2021
- Braves vs Dodgers Game 3 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 19, 2021
- TITANS y BILLS se baten en un ASOMBROSO duelo de MONDAY NIGH | Semana 6 2021 NFL Game Highlights October 19, 2021
- LIVE SPORTS TALK! Monday Night Football Bills Titans Recap, MLB Playoffs, Next LSU Head Coach? October 19, 2021
- San Francisco Leaders Offer Cash Rewards in Hopes of Reducing Car Break-Ins October 19, 2021