Oakland, Ca – The Port of Oakland and Oakland International Airport will remain operational despite an Alameda County shelter-in-place order. Both facilities are essential services exempt from the order, the Port said today.
The Port of Oakland’s announcement followed shelter-in-place orders issued by six Bay Area counties. The orders are intended to slow the spread of coronavirus. Under the restrictions, only essential businesses are permitted to remain open. Other employers must send workers home until the order is lifted.
The Port of Oakland is one of the 10 busiest container seaports in the U.S. It handles more than 2.5 million cargo containers annually, transacting more than $100 billion in global trade.
The Port’s Oakland International Airport is the third-busiest airport in Northern California. Close to 14 million passengers a year fly in and out of Oakland.
“Our operations are critical to the health, safety, infrastructure and economy of our region,” said Port of Oakland Executive Director Danny Wan. “We will continue to function as a vital gateway for global trade and transportation while doing everything possible to protect our employees, customers and business partners.”
The Port said marine terminals would continue to load and unload cargo from ships. The Airport would go on with its daily schedule of inbound and departing flights, the Port said.
The Port said it would adopt a resilience plan to staff its operations while minimizing employee exposure to coronavirus. The Port said it has received no reports of employees, customers or business partners testing positive for coronavirus.
According to the Port, airlines, shipping lines and marine terminal operators have said they’ll continue operations in Oakland. The Port was meeting with longshore union officials to determine what staffing levels could be expected on the docks.
The Port of Oakland said it would continue with an accelerated sanitization regimen at Oakland International Airport to protect travelers. It said it was conferring with marine terminal operators on how best to sanitize seaport operations. The Port said it would introduce social distancing protocols at its facilities to curb the coronavirus spread.
About the Port of Oakland
The Port of Oakland oversees the Oakland Seaport, Oakland International Airport, and nearly 20 miles of waterfront including Jack London Square. The Port’s 5-year strategic plan – Growth with Care – pairs business expansion with community benefits, envisioning more jobs and economic stimulus as the Port grows. Together with its business partners, the Port supports more than 84,000 jobs. Connect with the Port of Oakland and Oakland International Airport through Facebook, or with the Port on Twitter, YouTube, and at www.portofoakland.com.
Oakland News Now Related Posts
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Community Holds ‘Unity Against Hate’ Rally in Oakland
- Giant Palestine Israel Protest In San Francisco Mission District
- Oakland Councilmember Dan Kalb Asks For City And Oakland Athletics To Keep Ballpark Talks Quiet
- Rombauer Upsets Medina Sprit Comes From Behind To Win The Preakness Stakes – Race Real Time Reaction
- SF Bay Area White “Journalists” Can’t Stand Black Oakland Blogger With His Own Opinion
- East Oakland Stadium Alliance Pushes Coliseum Ballpark With Flooding Future
- Let’s Meet. For Real. Meet In Oakland (full video)
- Base Camp 2021 Kick Off Hype Video
- 2021 Honda CR-V EX 2WD Sale Price Lease Bay Area Oakland Alameda Hayward Fremont San Leandro CA 4553
- Oakland Police Investigate After Elderly Man Attacked
- POOLE PARTY! Jordan Splashes Home 38 Points in Warriors’ Win | May 14, 2021
- Warriors Talk: Jordan Poole on his 38-Point Night vs. Pelicans – May 14, 2021
- Taj Tashombe, Oakland A’s VP Of Gov Affairs Is NAACP 2021 Black Male Achievement Award Winner
- Tony Buzbee Did Approach Deshaun Watson Reps For $100K Settlement Contrary To Recent Claims
- Oakland Fire Department Sends 3,000 Baby Goats Out As News To Distract From Oakland A’s Relocation
- Marjorie Taylor Greene Accused Of Fraud By Local Atlanta TV Station WSB-TV
- dat Krunchy Couple: Trader Joe’s Snack Haul
- Oakland City Council Leaders Email To Rob Manfred MLB Commissioner On Oakland A’s Relocation
- Pyro’s Pastrami Jack London Square Is Oakland’s Best Kept Secret
- 1100 Himself on The Meaning Behind The Word “Hyphy” + Explains Oakland Slang. PT.2