Oakland, Ca – The Port of Oakland and Oakland International Airport will remain operational despite an Alameda County shelter-in-place order. Both facilities are essential services exempt from the order, the Port said today.
The Port of Oakland’s announcement followed shelter-in-place orders issued by six Bay Area counties. The orders are intended to slow the spread of coronavirus. Under the restrictions, only essential businesses are permitted to remain open. Other employers must send workers home until the order is lifted.
The Port of Oakland is one of the 10 busiest container seaports in the U.S. It handles more than 2.5 million cargo containers annually, transacting more than $100 billion in global trade.
The Port’s Oakland International Airport is the third-busiest airport in Northern California. Close to 14 million passengers a year fly in and out of Oakland.
“Our operations are critical to the health, safety, infrastructure and economy of our region,” said Port of Oakland Executive Director Danny Wan. “We will continue to function as a vital gateway for global trade and transportation while doing everything possible to protect our employees, customers and business partners.”
The Port said marine terminals would continue to load and unload cargo from ships. The Airport would go on with its daily schedule of inbound and departing flights, the Port said.
The Port said it would adopt a resilience plan to staff its operations while minimizing employee exposure to coronavirus. The Port said it has received no reports of employees, customers or business partners testing positive for coronavirus.
According to the Port, airlines, shipping lines and marine terminal operators have said they’ll continue operations in Oakland. The Port was meeting with longshore union officials to determine what staffing levels could be expected on the docks.
The Port of Oakland said it would continue with an accelerated sanitization regimen at Oakland International Airport to protect travelers. It said it was conferring with marine terminal operators on how best to sanitize seaport operations. The Port said it would introduce social distancing protocols at its facilities to curb the coronavirus spread.
About the Port of Oakland
The Port of Oakland oversees the Oakland Seaport, Oakland International Airport, and nearly 20 miles of waterfront including Jack London Square. The Port’s 5-year strategic plan – Growth with Care – pairs business expansion with community benefits, envisioning more jobs and economic stimulus as the Port grows. Together with its business partners, the Port supports more than 84,000 jobs. Connect with the Port of Oakland and Oakland International Airport through Facebook, or with the Port on Twitter, YouTube, and at www.portofoakland.com.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- City of Oakland, Partners, Welcome New Brooklyn Basin Affordable Housing Units Residents
- VP Kamala Harris On Diplomacy With Mexico Northern Triangle Countries During Press Gaggle
- Marvel Studios’ Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings | Official Teaser
- Oakland Schools News: OEA & OUSD Reach Tentative Agreement On 21-22 School Year Calendar
- Rusty Hardin, Deshaun Watson Lawyer, Asserts Client’s Innocence In Statement After Filing Response
- WhereDoWeGoOakland Is An Oakland Success By Derrick Soo
- Texans QB Deshaun Watson Answer To 22 Tony Buzbee Lawsuits Details Lies, Money Grab
- First Flight of the Ingenuity Mars Helicopter: Live from Mission Control
- LIVE: Press Briefing by White House COVID-19 Response Team — 4/19/21
- WHITE HOUSE LIVE CAM – Washington D.C. | USA | earthTV®
- USS Oakland (LCS-24) Commissioning Ceremony
- Capolow Talks Oakland, The Bay Area, Having His Own Strain, Signing To Cinematic
- USS Oakland (LCS 24) Joins the Fleet
- Daunte Wright and Adam Toledo Protest – Oakland 4/16
- Oakland A’s 2021 Final Out and Win Celebration VS Detroit Tigers 4/17/21
- Oakland Pre-K Through 6th Grade Classes Set to Reopen Monday
- Port of Oakland Drone Flight 4K
- Resurrection Oakland Church | April 18, 2021. 10am
- 2021 NFL Mock Draft V3 Livestream By Zennie62Media For April 18th
- Katy Perry Backs That Ass Up To Shocked Luke Bryan On American Idol