Oakland, Ca – The Port of Oakland and Oakland International Airport will remain operational despite an Alameda County shelter-in-place order. Both facilities are essential services exempt from the order, the Port said today.
The Port of Oakland’s announcement followed shelter-in-place orders issued by six Bay Area counties. The orders are intended to slow the spread of coronavirus. Under the restrictions, only essential businesses are permitted to remain open. Other employers must send workers home until the order is lifted.
The Port of Oakland is one of the 10 busiest container seaports in the U.S. It handles more than 2.5 million cargo containers annually, transacting more than $100 billion in global trade.
The Port’s Oakland International Airport is the third-busiest airport in Northern California. Close to 14 million passengers a year fly in and out of Oakland.
“Our operations are critical to the health, safety, infrastructure and economy of our region,” said Port of Oakland Executive Director Danny Wan. “We will continue to function as a vital gateway for global trade and transportation while doing everything possible to protect our employees, customers and business partners.”
The Port said marine terminals would continue to load and unload cargo from ships. The Airport would go on with its daily schedule of inbound and departing flights, the Port said.
The Port said it would adopt a resilience plan to staff its operations while minimizing employee exposure to coronavirus. The Port said it has received no reports of employees, customers or business partners testing positive for coronavirus.
According to the Port, airlines, shipping lines and marine terminal operators have said they’ll continue operations in Oakland. The Port was meeting with longshore union officials to determine what staffing levels could be expected on the docks.
The Port of Oakland said it would continue with an accelerated sanitization regimen at Oakland International Airport to protect travelers. It said it was conferring with marine terminal operators on how best to sanitize seaport operations. The Port said it would introduce social distancing protocols at its facilities to curb the coronavirus spread.
About the Port of Oakland
The Port of Oakland oversees the Oakland Seaport, Oakland International Airport, and nearly 20 miles of waterfront including Jack London Square. The Port’s 5-year strategic plan – Growth with Care – pairs business expansion with community benefits, envisioning more jobs and economic stimulus as the Port grows. Together with its business partners, the Port supports more than 84,000 jobs. Connect with the Port of Oakland and Oakland International Airport through Facebook, or with the Port on Twitter, YouTube, and at www.portofoakland.com.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Bye Bye New England! INSANE Ending Cowboys vs. Patriots October 18, 2021
- Nation’s Top Cannabis Companies Partner to Deliver Point of Purchase Data on Cannabis Products to Consumers, Manufacturers October 18, 2021
- West Oakland skate park fire October 18, 2021
- Film Study: Derek Carr was incredible for the Las Vegas Raiders Vs the Denver Broncos October 18, 2021
- 1044 Aquarius Way Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale October 18, 2021
- 4601 Grass Valley Rd Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale October 18, 2021
- 30 years since firestorm tore through Oakland hills October 18, 2021
- FIRST TAKE | Stephen A. EXCITED Las Vegas Raiders win vs. Denver Broncos, after Gruden’s resignation October 18, 2021
- Broncos season slipping from grasp after Raiders loss October 18, 2021
- NFL News, Dak Injury, NFL Trade Rumors On Von Miller & Odell Beckham, Cam Newton Destinations + Q&A October 18, 2021
- Best of Stephen Curry’s 2021-2022 Preseason 👌 October 18, 2021
- 49ers News & Rumors: Trade Jimmy Garoppolo For Odell Beckham? Sign Cam Newton? Kendricks Signs w/ SF October 18, 2021
- Is J.T. O’Sullivan Right About 49ers QB Trey Lance October 18, 2021
- Raiders Rumors, Overreaction Monday On Rich Bisaccia, Derek Carr + Winners & Losers vs. Broncos October 18, 2021
- Cal Men’s Basketball: Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Media Day Press Conference October 18, 2021
- Cal Women’s Soccer: Karlie Lema’s late goal gives Cal a 1-0 road win over Utah October 18, 2021
- Falcons News & Rumors: Grady Jarrett Trade Rumors? Josh Andrews Back? Falcons vs Dolphins EASY Win? October 18, 2021
- Mike Golic: Las Vegas Raiders used Broncos game as ‘safe haven’ | Pro Football Talk | NBC Sports October 18, 2021
- Statement from President Barack Obama on the Passing of General Colin Powell October 18, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders | The Jon Gruden Era Is Over In Las Vegas October 18, 2021
- A Retired East Bay Teacher Raised More Than $300K for Schools. Now, He Has a New, Ambitious Goal October 18, 2021
- Colin Powell RIP – Endorsement Of Barack Obama in 2008 Marked Major Change In Black Relations October 18, 2021
- COWBOYS y PATRIOTS luchan hasta el TIEMPO EXTRA | Semana 6 2021 NFL Game Highlights October 18, 2021
- ‘Bloomberg Technology’ Full Show (10/15/2021) October 18, 2021
- Dodgers vs. Braves NLCS Game 2 Highlights (10/17/21) | MLB Highlights October 18, 2021
- Derreck Johnson Runs For Mayor Of Oakland In 2022 Elections October 18, 2021
- Tech Byte – Tech for Tracking MLB Playoffs October 18, 2021
- Hisense | Washing Machine | All in One October 18, 2021
- Hisense X Laser TV | Bring cinema home October 18, 2021
- COVID-19 Vaccine & My Career | Funky Fridays w/ Cam Newton October 18, 2021