Shelter-in-Place Shifts Focus to Essential Operations Amid Travel Declines
Oakland – At Oakland International Airport, runways and taxiways are open and in active use. Terminals are operational, and air cargo activity has increased with new goods movement demands. Travel that is deemed “non-essential” is legal but is discouraged as a measure to curb the spread of COVID-19.
The measure, while necessary, is a dilemma for airports, airlines, and many other businesses and industry stakeholders that rely on passenger traffic to generate revenue. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) this week announced details of $10 billion in CARES Act aid for U.S. Airports, of which OAK is expected to receive approximately $44 million. While greatly appreciative of this stopgap, many airports including OAK expect that the grant funds will be far outweighed by the loss of revenues during what is expected to be a lengthy recovery period.
Also, as expected, commercial air travel demand has experienced a steep decline globally, partly due to active Shelter-in-Place orders in more than 40 states. The Bay Area and statewide orders have been in place since mid-March. Even in the absence of bustling passengers, OAK remains a dynamic, fully-functional airport delivering essential goods, aviation services, and infrastructure, 24/7.
Port of Oakland Executive Director Danny Wan has publicly thanked workers at the Oakland Seaport and Oakland International Airport (OAK), both of which the Port owns and operates. Last month, the Port supported an operation to screen and process over 2,000 Grand Princess Cruise Ship passengers after several tested positive for COVID-19 while at sea. All passengers began a 14-day quarantine after being transported by bus to Travis Air Force Base or via chartered aircraft launched from OAK to multiple destinations, both domestic and international.
Director of Aviation Bryant L. Francis also praised front-line workers for keeping the Airport functional during the subsequent pandemic, acknowledging the uncertainty that has come with it. Francis said, “Front-line workers at OAK have played a vital role in allowing us to swiftly pivot, providing a timely and necessary response to a continuously changing global crisis. COVID-19 will undoubtedly have an impact on our travel culture, however, we will be prepared for the inevitable recovery.” Francis’ unique perspective on the Aviation industry will be of benefit to OAK as he possesses a longstanding history of service with both ACI-NA, the think-tank representing more than 700 airports and aviation-related businesses in North America, and the American Association of Airport Executives (AAAE).
Passenger traffic data at OAK, just released for March 2020, reveals a nearly 60% decrease compared with the same period last year, a ubiquitous result of the COVID-19 pandemic:
MARCH 2019 1,095,906
MARCH 2020 451,799
% change -58.77%
Due to temporary flight activity reductions implemented by its airlines during the COVID-19 pandemic, OAK has incorporated numerous modifications to its terminal facility operations. These changes ensure ample customer services are available for all users, including boarding gates, restroom facilities, and retail and food & beverage concessions.
Travelers are encouraged to make direct contact with their respective airlines for updates and details regarding future travel, as flight schedules are subject to change.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Oakland City Council Unanimously Approves Vice Mayor Rebecca Kaplan’s Proposal To Support Litigation Against Ghost Guns October 20, 2021
- Henry Ruggs III Mic’d Up vs. Broncos: ‘All Bama on the Board!’ | Week 6 | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL October 20, 2021
- Boxing Sandor Martin Stuns Boxing World By Defeating Former Champ Mikey Garcia By Eric Pangilinan October 19, 2021
- Meet Jon Bean, Oakland Rising’s Deputy Director Taks With Liz Suk, Executive Director October 19, 2021
- Philadelphia Eagles vs Las Vegas Raiders | Week 7 NFL Game Preview October 19, 2021
- Oakland hills firestorm marks 30th anniversary October 19, 2021
- 30 years later: Remembering the Oakland Hills Fire October 19, 2021
- Los Bukis ULTIMO CONCIERTO 2021 Oakland CA I Mi Mayor Necesidad October 19, 2021
- In-N-Out Burger in Battle With San Francisco Health Officials Over COVID Rules October 19, 2021
- Braves vs Dodgers Game 3 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 19, 2021
- TITANS y BILLS se baten en un ASOMBROSO duelo de MONDAY NIGH | Semana 6 2021 NFL Game Highlights October 19, 2021
- LIVE SPORTS TALK! Monday Night Football Bills Titans Recap, MLB Playoffs, Next LSU Head Coach? October 19, 2021
- San Francisco Leaders Offer Cash Rewards in Hopes of Reducing Car Break-Ins October 19, 2021
- Buffalo Bills vs Tennessee Titans Full Highligh 4th Quarter | NFL Week 6, 2021 October 19, 2021
- Deputy chase underway in LA County October 19, 2021
- New Plan to Fight Car Break-Ins in San Francisco October 19, 2021
- Every Team’s Best Play From Week 6 | NFL 2021 Highlights October 19, 2021
- 49ers News TODAY: 49ers Injury Report, DeForest Buckner RETURNS, Trent Williams, Aaron Banks, Lynch October 19, 2021
- 30 years later: KTVU reporter recalls being trapped by Oakland Hills firestorm October 19, 2021
- Film Study: Raiders Defensive Line is causing Havoc October 19, 2021
- Raiders Sign Desmond Trufant + Raiders Rumors On Clelin Ferrell Trade, D.J. Hayden & Derek Carr October 19, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Alex Leatherwood Playing Better At The Guard Position By Eric Pangilinan October 19, 2021
- Raw Video: San Francisco Announces Cash Rewards To Stop Auto Burglary-Fueled Fencing Operations October 19, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders: Former Pro Bowl DB Desmond Trufant Signs With Raiders By Joseph Armendariz October 19, 2021
- ILUW Local 10, The Shipping Backlog & The Working Class with ILWU Local 10 Pres Trent Willis October 19, 2021
- MLB LIVE: Los Angeles Dodgers vs Atlanta Braves Live stream – Braves vs Dodgers Live October 19, 2021
- Raiders Rumors & News On Trade Clelin Ferrell, Derek Carr & Josh Jacobs + 2021 NFL Trade Candidates October 19, 2021
- Cal Football: Jake Tonges Press Conference (10.19.21) October 19, 2021
- Cal Football: Femi Oladejo Press Conference (10.19.21) October 19, 2021
- Cal Football: Justin Wilcox Press Conference (10.19.21) October 19, 2021