Exports down 2.6% compared to same month last year
Oakland – Full import containers at the Port of Oakland were up just under 1% in November 2020 compared to November of last year. Loaded export boxes at the Oakland seaport dipped 2.6% in November 2020 compared to the same month in 2019.
Full import containers in November 2020 totaled 78,045 TEUs (one TEU is the equivalent of a 20-foot container). This figure was 0.9 percent higher than November 2019 loaded imports which totaled 77,367 TEUs.
Although strong import demand continues in the U.S., November import cargo volume was not as high as anticipated at Oakland. Port officials said mounting cargo, congestion at Southern California ports, and the resulting vessel delays contributed to fewer containers than expected coming through the Oakland seaport in November.
“The cargo is there, it’s just delayed,” said Port of Oakland Maritime Director Bryan Brandes. “We expect to see higher import cargo volume numbers this month compared to December 2019.”
Maritime experts say that huge import volumes have disrupted normal shipping schedules, resulting in cargo delivery delays through ports.
Full export containers in November 2020 totaled 79,667 TEUs. That accounts for the 2.6% drop compared to 81,780 TEUS that came through the Port of Oakland in November 2020.
Some California exporters say they are having a challenge finding enough containers to get their product to overseas markets. Import demand is prompting ocean carriers to rush empty containers back to Asia where they can be loaded for more goods headed to America.
“The Port of Oakland is working closely with ocean carriers, importers, freight forwarders, agricultural exporters, and container providers to help facilitate communications and solutions for any equipment shortages,” said Maritime Director Brandes.
Additionally, China in recent years implemented restrictions on U.S. wastepaper which has dampened U.S. export volumes.
Year to date cargo volume, January through November 2020, totaled 197, 692 TEUs. This is up 0.2% compared to the same period last year with a total of 197,360 TEUs.
About the Port of Oakland
The Port of Oakland oversees the Oakland Seaport, Oakland International Airport, and nearly 20 miles of waterfront including Jack London Square. The Port’s 5-year strategic plan – Growth with Care – pairs business expansion with community benefits, envisioning more jobs and economic stimulus as the Port grows. Together with its business partners, the Port supports more than 84,000 jobs. Connect with the Port of Oakland and Oakland International Airport through Facebook, or with the Port on Twitter, YouTube, and at www.portofoakland.com.
Oakland News Now Related Posts
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Oakland Councilmember Sheng Thao And Oakland Mutual Aid Collective Will Distribute PPE Kits To Students May 11th
- Ca Governor Gavin Newsom’s $100 Billion Rental Assistance Plan Debut With Oakland Mayor Schaff
- Governor Newsom Unveils his Economic Recovery Package
- Tim Sullivan Of Louisville Courier Journal Ambush Marketing In-And-Out Burger On CNN?
- Rotary Club Of Oakland Features Gary Meyer On The Oscars May 06 2021
- Resurrection Oakland Church | May 9, 2021. 10am
- Sharing The Beauty Of Lake Merritt, Oakland, California – Mothers Day 2021
- Mothers Day Drum Circle – Lake Merritt, Oakland, California, 2021
- Bike Oakland & Alameda: Alameda, Bay Farm, and 66th Ave
- Port of Oakland Trade Boom: Wan Hai Lines Connects U.S. And Asia In 2021
- Oakland City Budget Forgets Cybersecurity As USA’s Largest Pipeline Gets Ransomwared
- Oakland City Council President Nikki Fortunato Bas On Mayor Schaaf’s Budget
- Oakland Adams Point Apartment Target Of Would Be Robber Caught-On-Camera Mother’s Day Evening
- Elon Musk Wario – Wario Is Elon Musk On SNL And Vinny Lospinuso Shares His Vlog Thoughts
- Star Trek’s Lt. Uhura Nichelle Nichols On Meeting President Obama
- Happy Mother’s Day, Today, Everyone! Enjoy Your Mom!
- Grand Lake Theater Marquee In Oakland Says Wait Almost Over, Reopens Late May 2021
- Fata Fut News: Today Top Trending News | 11 AM | 9 May 2021 – TV9
- New Trending Instagram Reels Videos | All Famous TikTok Star | Today Viral Insta Reels | Insta Reels
- Mount Zion Oakland Mother’s Day Church Service 2021