Oakland, Calif. – Dec. 10, 2019: Port of Oakland export cargo volume increased 5.8 percent for last month, November 2019, and compared to November 2018, according to statistics released today. It was the second straight month export levels have risen in Oakland, the Port of Oakland said. Export volume had previously climbed 10.8 percent in October.
According to Port data, Oakland handled the equivalent of 81,781 loaded export containers in November 2019. It attributed the strong showing to increased overseas demand – primarily in Asia – for U.S. goods perceived to have high quality. It singled out American-produced farm goods, as an example.
The Port said import volume declined 7.2 percent last month compared to November 2018. Importers rushed cargo into the U.S. last year attempting to beat anticipated tariff increases.
Oakland’s total cargo volume – imports, exports and empty containers – was down 0.8 percent through the first 11 months of 2019, the Port of Oakland said. It attributed the decline mostly to a 10.5 percent drop in empty container handling compared to the same period a year ago. Empties are transported each month back to Asia – Oakland’s main trade partner – to be loaded with import cargo bound for the U.S.
About the Port of Oakland
The Port of Oakland oversees the Oakland Seaport, Oakland International Airport, and nearly 20 miles of waterfront including Jack London Square. The Port’s 5-year strategic plan – Growth with Care – pairs business expansion with community benefits, envisioning more jobs and economic stimulus as the Port grows. Together with its business partners, the Port supports more than 84,000 jobs. Connect with the Port of Oakland and Oakland International Airport through Facebook, or with the Port on Twitter, YouTube, and at www.portofoakland.com.
Oakland News Now Related Posts
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Naismith SCHOOLS Cooperstown With Its 2021 Basketball Hall Of Fame Class, By: Vinny Lospinudo
- Oakland Youth Beat To Host Creating in Place Virtual Screening Party, Fundraiser
- Ricky Schroder Video Of Himself Harassing Costco Employee Over Face Mask Rule Goes Viral
- Resurrection Oakland Church Service For May 16, 2021 10 AM
- The Next Steph Curry Is Practicing Jump Shots From Downtown Right Now
- Community Holds ‘Unity Against Hate’ Rally in Oakland
- Giant Palestine Israel Protest In San Francisco Mission District
- Oakland Councilmember Dan Kalb Asks For City And Oakland Athletics To Keep Ballpark Talks Quiet
- Rombauer Upsets Medina Sprit Comes From Behind To Win The Preakness Stakes – Race Real Time Reaction
- SF Bay Area White “Journalists” Can’t Stand Black Oakland Blogger With His Own Opinion
- East Oakland Stadium Alliance Pushes Coliseum Ballpark With Flooding Future
- Let’s Meet. For Real. Meet In Oakland (full video)
- Base Camp 2021 Kick Off Hype Video
- 2021 Honda CR-V EX 2WD Sale Price Lease Bay Area Oakland Alameda Hayward Fremont San Leandro CA 4553
- Oakland Police Investigate After Elderly Man Attacked
- POOLE PARTY! Jordan Splashes Home 38 Points in Warriors’ Win | May 14, 2021
- Warriors Talk: Jordan Poole on his 38-Point Night vs. Pelicans – May 14, 2021
- Taj Tashombe, Oakland A’s VP Of Gov Affairs Is NAACP 2021 Black Male Achievement Award Winner
- Tony Buzbee Did Approach Deshaun Watson Reps For $100K Settlement Contrary To Recent Claims
- Oakland Fire Department Sends 3,000 Baby Goats Out As News To Distract From Oakland A’s Relocation