Oakland – It’s time to address the financial impact of coronavirus, Port of Oakland Executive Director Danny Wan said today. In a widely distributed video, the Port executive said his organization is readying countermeasures to offset crippling revenue declines. His stated aim: keep the Port and its Oakland International Airport operational.
“We’ve taken a three-phase approach to combatting coronavirus,” the Executive Director said during a taped Zoom interview posted on the Port’s website, intranet and blog and sent to media worldwide. “First, we minimized the exposure of staff and the public to the coronavirus, then we assessed the impact on our operations and now, we’re ready for phase three where we implement solutions to ensure financial sustainability.”
According to the Executive Director, the Port of Oakland anticipates reduced operating income for Fiscal Year 2020. It’s projecting a financial loss in FY 2021. The cause: a 95 percent reduction in Airport passenger traffic, coupled with a milder downturn in Seaport cargo volume.
“Many businesses facing that kind of drop-off in activity would probably close down, but we can’t, we have to keep operating because we’re considered essential infrastructure,” Mr. Wan explained. “So, we’re looking at what else we must do.”
The Executive Director explained that the Port, unlike other public agencies, doesn’t receive tax funds. That means it finances operations solely from the revenue it generates. Business reversals at the Airport and Seaport have “put a hole in the budget,” Mr. Wan said.
Mr. Wan said the Port would respond with austerity measures that include:
the suspension of hiring and travel;
drastic curbs on discretionary spending and the use of contractors; and
slashing capital improvement budgets.
Mr. Wan didn’t offer a timetable for business recovery, blaming the fast-changing nature of the coronavirus pandemic. He said if conditions worsen, further cost-cutting measures would follow.
The Executive Director said Airport and Seaport operations have continued uninterrupted throughout the pandemic, despite shelter-in-place restrictions. He credited employees for stepping up to an unprecedented challenge.
“The Port staff is responding beautifully,” Mr. Wan said. “I’m grateful that we’re working together to keep the Port of Oakland operating as an essential service.”
About the Port of Oakland
The Port of Oakland oversees the Oakland Seaport, Oakland International Airport, and nearly 20 miles of waterfront including Jack London Square. The Port’s 5-year strategic plan – Growth with Care – pairs business expansion with community benefits, envisioning more jobs and economic stimulus as the Port grows. Together with its business partners, the Port supports more than 84,000 jobs. Connect with the Port of Oakland and Oakland International Airport through Facebook, or with the Port on Twitter, YouTube, and at www.portofoakland.com.
This post based on a press release sent to Zennie62Media by The Port of Oakland.
Related Posts (YARPP)
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Port of Oakland Ready To Receive Giant Container Crane From Everport Terminal Services
- Johnathan Hankins Was Raiders Best Defense Tankle In 2020
- Steven A Smith Calls Devin Booker The next Next Kobe To Magic Johnson- By Eric Pangilinan
- Steven A Smith Calls Devin Booker The Next Kobe
- NBA Time For The 76ers To Trade Ben Simmons – By Eric Pangilinan
- Maria Ayerdi Kaplan: Salesforce Transit Center Should Have Her Statue In Front Of It, Marc Beinoff
- Dave Kaval Headed Back To Las Vegas, After The Howard Terminal City Of Oakland Alameda County Fiasco
- What Atlanta 1 Step From NBA Finals 1 Year After Donald Trump, Rayshard Brooks, The Pandemic, Means
- Atlanta Hawks Shock Philadelphia 76ers 103 – 96 – Off To 2021 Eastern Conference Finals
- Louis Riddick Says Raiders Issue Always Been Defense Not Derek Carr – By Eric Pangilinan
- Boxing Errol Spence Jr Belives He Is The big Dog- By Eric Pangilinan
- Gus Bradley Putting In New Defense System For The Raiders By – Eric Pangilinan
- Philippines Orders Biggest Doese Of Covid Vaccine
- Nba Western Conference Finals Devin Booker Shines By- Eric Pangilinan
- Deep Dish Pizza – Lou Malnati’s Pizzeria Classic Style At Uptown Plaza, Phoenix, 100 E Camelback Rd
- Gus Bradley Putting In New Defense System For The Raiders By- Eric Pangilinan
- 2021 Juneteenth Shooting At Oakland Lake Merritt Shows Some Black Kids Don’t Value Black Life – Our Fault
- Juneteenth Lake Merritt Shooting: Oakland City Council’s Nikki Fortunado Bas, Carroll Fife Statement
- Kumasi Aaron Of ABC 7 At Juneteenth Jubilee Oakland, Produced By Oakland City Council’s Loren Taylor
- Juneteenth Walk Down Broadway In Oakland Brings Back Memories For Instagram Poster