Tribute to mariners unveiled at Port of Oakland. Sculpture honors working mariners and those who lost their life at sea
Oakland, Calif. – Feb. 14, 2020: The Port of Oakland has joined the International Maritime Center (IMC) to unveil a tribute to mariners. The new, abstract sculpture titled “Sea Remembrance” was installed in January next to the IMC facility at Port View Park.
“Seafarers make costly sacrifices being away from home at sea for months at a time,” said Captain Margaret Reasoner with the local IMC chapter. “The sculpture honors them for their hard work and perseverance, and serves as a memorial for the mariners who gave their life at sea.”
The IMC is a nonprofit organization that supports seafarers passing through the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Area. Captain Reasoner enlisted James Allen King to create the sculpture because of his maritime experience and artistic talent. He is a member of the Sailor’s Union of the Pacific.
Aboard ship, James King (ship’s bosun) oversees the team that maintains the ship’s rigging, anchors, cables, and everything else on deck that keeps a vessel running smoothly. Bosun King created “Sea Remembrance”, the large, round, metal sculpture that was placed at the Oakland Seaport. King says he draws inspiration for his art from the sea.
Thousands of men and women work the ships that cross the world’s oceans to deliver goods from one country to the next. Captain Reasoner said she hopes the sculpture will make mariners feel welcome in the Bay Area.
The artist donated all his time that he used to create the sculpture; volunteers from California State University Maritime Academy and the Clean Living Learning Center helped create the foundation for the sculpture; and donations are being collected to cover final expenses.
The sculpture is located outside the IMC at 4001 – 7th St, Oakland, CA 94607. It can be seen when the IMC is open.
Photo caption: “Sea Remembrance” sculpture in honor of mariners at the Port of Oakland.
About the International Maritime Center
The International Maritime Center (IMC) in coordination with the Seafarers Ministry of the Golden Gate services thousands of seafarers that come through its facility each year. Located at the Port of Oakland, the center hosts a sanctuary for mariners to refer to as their home away from home. Services include counseling, meals, recreation, transportation, internet connections and phone cards. The IMC at the Oakland Seaport is rated one of the top three centers in the world. To learn more about the IMC, call (510) 839-2226 or visit their facilities at 4001 – 7th St, Oakland, CA 94607.
About the Port of Oakland
The Port of Oakland oversees the Oakland Seaport, Oakland International Airport, and nearly 20 miles of waterfront including Jack London Square. The Port’s 5-year strategic plan – Growth with Care – pairs business expansion with community benefits, envisioning more jobs and economic stimulus as the Port grows. Together with its business partners, the Port supports more than 84,000 jobs. Connect with the Port of Oakland and Oakland International Airport through Facebook, or with the Port on Twitter, YouTube, and at www.portofoakland.com.
Post based on press release from Port of Oakland to ZENNIE62MEDIA.
Oakland News Now Related Posts
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- dat Krunchy Couple: Trader Joe’s Snack Haul
- Oakland City Council Leaders Email To Rob Manfred MLB Commissioner On Oakland A’s Relocation
- This Pastrami is Oakland’s Best Kept Secret | Word of Mouth
- 1100 Himself on The Meaning Behind The Word “Hyphy” + Explains Oakland Slang. PT.2
- Rose Haze | Oakland Band | Live Performance at Balanced Breakfast’s Showcase | SxSW 2021
- 2421 67th Avenue Oakland, CA | ColdwellBankerHomes.com
- Bike Oakland & Piedmont: Around Mountain View Cemetery
- Oakland Unified School District Announces 2021 Teachers Of The Year
- Colonial Pipeline Paid Darkside Hackers $5 Million In Ransom Money – Bad Idea
- Black Business Roundtable hosted by Oakland’s Own Doug Blacksher
- How The 49ers vs Raiders Preseason Games Restarted When The Silver And Black Returned To Oakland
- Rusty Hardin Says Tony Buzbee Deshaun Watson Settlement Not Happening Talk Is Ironic
- Mads Mikkelsen And Anders Jensen Blockbuster Interview With Zennie62Media’s Jessica Dwyer
- East Oakland Stadium Alliance Seeks To Drown A’s Fans In Water At Coliseum
- Mads Mikkelsen Oscars: Mads Mikkelsen, Anders Jensen, Riders Of Justice Interview: Jessica Dwyer
- Oakland Schools: OUSD 2021 Classified School Employees Of The Year
- Biden Press Secretary Jen Psaki Statement On Restart of Colonial Pipeline And Continued Federal Government Efforts To Mitigate Impacts
- The Oakland A’s Never “Rooted In Oakland” – Las Vegas Mayor Says Relocation Talk 2 Years Old
- Oakland Athletics In Relocation Talks for 2 Years According To LV Review Journal – by Richard Haick
- City Of Oakland Eviction Moratorium Not Impacted By Federal Ruling