Oakland, CA – PG&E’s power shutoff went into effect in parts of Oakland at approximately 10:50 pm last night, primarily above MacArthur Boulevard between Fruitvale and 106th Avenue, and along the Skyline/Grizzly Peak corridor. According to PG&E, approximately 16,000 customer meters in Oakland were impacted by the shutoff and remain without power (loosely, that equates to approximately 48,000 Oakland residents impacted).
PG&E confirmed this morning that all power shutoffs are complete. It will begin the process to inspect the system and restore power, which they say could still take several days. Each county will be notified when this process begins in that area.
The Red Flag Warning is scheduled to be in effect until 5 pm today and the High Wind Advisory remains in effect until 3 pm today.
The City’s Emergency Operations Center remains operational, and the Oakland Fire Department remains on high alert given extremely hazardous fire conditions. In addition to their normal operations, firefighters have continued to conduct roving fire patrols in the Oakland hills. These resources augment the department’s normal hill company patrols that are out during high fire danger.
Overnight, the Oakland Fire Department (OFD) was notified of the Merrill Fire in Moraga, CA. Fire personnel monitored the event closely both on scene in Moraga and from Oakland’s Emergency Operations Center, keeping officials appraised of any developments. As of 5AM, the fire in Moraga was 70% contained, and not deemed to be a threat to Oakland residents.
Throughout the night, Police officers and staff from the Department of Transportation deployed additional neighborhood patrols and relayed information to dispatch regarding street light outages. Engineers were promptly deployed to those locations to assess the infrastructure issues and provide traffic safety support at key intersections where signals were out. About 80 signalized intersections remain without power and should be treated as an all-way stop.
OPD dispatch did not experience an increase in calls for service, and no crimes or collisions were reported in connection with the power shutoff overnight. The Oakland Fire Department also did not experience an increase in shutoff-related service calls.
PG&E anticipates that the weather conditions leading to the Public Safety Power Shutdown will subside by 12 noon today. However, they advise that the process to re-energize the lines could still take up to several days, depending on how long it takes for their crews to inspect the system, the level of damage caused by high winds, and the extent of repairs required. The decision to turn off power, and the speed at which it is restored, is planned and managed solely by PG&E.
City of Oakland Facility and Program Impacts
Park Closures & Restrictions
· Joaquin Miller Park is closed to the public on Red Flag days. Signs will be posted at all park entrances and trails regarding the closure.
· Barbeques and fires are prohibited in all City parks on Red Flag days.
City of Oakland – Recreation Center Closures
The following facilities will be closed until facility power is restored and the Red Flag Waring is lifted:
• Dimond Recreation Center & Lions Pool
• East Oakland Sports Center
• Redwood Heights Recreation Center
• Sheffield Village Recreation Center
• Montclair Recreation Center
• Dunsmuir Hellman Historic Estate
• Joaquin Miller Community Center
• Leona Lodge
• Sequoia Lodge
City of Oakland – Head Start Site Closures
The following City of Oakland Head Start sites will be closed until facility power is restored:
• Tassafaronga (975 85th Ave., Oakland, CA 94621)
• Cosmopolitan (988 85th Ave., Oakland, CA 94621)
• Brookfield (401 Jones Ave., Oakland, CA 94603)
• 85th Avenue (8501 International Blvd., Oakland, CA 94621)
• Lion Creek (6818 Lion Way, # 110 Oakland, CA 94621)
For more Head Start information, please call (510) 238-3165. All enrolled families at these sites have been notified.
City of Oakland – Oakland Public Library Closures
Two Oakland Public Library branches—Montclair and Dimond—lost power last night and will remain closed until power is restored. All other branches are expected to open today.
For updates go to www.oaklandlibrary.org.
City of Oakland – Oakland Unified School District Closures
• Grass Valley
• Elmhurst United
• Rudsdale Continuation
• Sojourner Truth
Alameda County Social Services Facility Closures in Oakland
• Eastmont (6955 Foothill Blvd #100 and #143, Oakland, CA 94605)
• Enterprise: (8477 Enterprise Way, Oakland, CA 94621)
Key Phone Numbers for Assistance
• Only call 911 for life-threatening situations requiring immediate attention
• Call 311 or (510) 615-5566 for City maintenance issues such as a fallen tree or blocked street
• Call 211 for critical human services information regarding emergency shelters, disaster relief services, assistance with temporary housing, and other basic social needs.
Keeping Food Safe During an Emergency
Knowing how to determine if food is safe and how to keep food safe will help minimize the potential loss of food and reduce the risk of foodborne illness.
Always keep meat, poultry, fish, and eggs refrigerated at or below 40 °F and frozen food at or below 0 °F. This may be difficult when the power is out. So, keep the refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible to maintain the cold temperature. The refrigerator will keep food safely cold for about 4 hours if it is unopened. A full freezer will hold the temperature for approximately 48 hours (24 hours if it is half full) if the door remains closed. Obtain dry or block ice to keep your refrigerator as cold as possible if the power is going to be out for a prolonged period of time.
Please check www.oaklandca.gov/firesafety for ongoing updates.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Raiders News : NT Kendal Vickers Move Up To 53 Man Roster | Mariota Activated For Week 6 October 17, 2021
- Episode 2: The Captain’s Code with Blaine Scully in Conversation with Jack Clark October 17, 2021
- Paralyzed Cal Rugby Star Walks Across Stage to Receive College Diploma October 17, 2021
- Lincoln Anniversary Concept 2021 October 17, 2021
- Lincoln Anniversary Concept – A concept car that shows how Lincoln vehicles will look in 2040 October 17, 2021
- 2022 Lincoln Zephyr Reflection – Interior and Exterior Walkaround – 2021 Shanghai motor show October 17, 2021
- Driving Downtown San Francisco | California USA [4K 60 UHD] October 17, 2021
- Former Homeless Man: San Francisco’s Approach to Homelessness Will Lead to More Homeless | Tom Wolf October 17, 2021
- Self-driving Waymo cars pile up on dead-end San Francisco street October 17, 2021
- San Francisco, Marin Counties Lift Indoor Mask Mandates in Some Settings October 17, 2021
- San Francisco threatens to fire unvaccinated city workers October 17, 2021
- NFL John Gruden Emails Football Press Conference Cold Open – SNL October 17, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Should Go After Eric Bieniemy For Head Coach By Eric Pangilinan October 17, 2021
- Daniel Craig Cameo On SNL With Rami Malek As Host – No Time To Die Stars On Saturday Night Live October 17, 2021
- Film Study: Raiders Offensive Line looks Much Improved vs Bears October 17, 2021
- Braves vs Dodgers Series Preview: #MLB #Baseball #ForTheA #Dodgers #RepeatLA #MLBPlayoffs October 16, 2021
- Stolen Vehicle Pursuit Ends With Bus Crash Into Oakland Home October 16, 2021
- James Bond No Time To Die At Cinemark 17 Fayetteville GA – Our Review Of Daniel Craig’s Classic October 16, 2021
- Best of Jordan Poole’s 2021-22 Preseason! October 16, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Marcus Mariota Activated To The Active Roster By Eric Pangilinan October 16, 2021
- Boxing Who Will Tyson Fury Fight Next? Anthony Joshua ? By Eric Pangilinan October 16, 2021
- AYS! CHAMP DEWAYNE BEAMON! NFL SURPRISES! RAIDERS PREVIEW! FREE PICKS! MLB PLAYOFFS! JOHN GRUDEN!! October 16, 2021
- Raiders Prepare for First Game Without Gruden | Vegas Nation Gameday October 16, 2021
- Paul Salata NFL Mr Irrelevant Week Founder And Great Friend Passed Away October 16, 2021
- On NFL Emails Jeff Pash, Bruce Allen Vlog By Joseph Armendariz – Setting The Record Straight, Gruden October 16, 2021
- Should The Raiders Hire Eric Bieniemy & Mike Kafka In 2022? Mike Mayock Will Also Get Fired? Q&A October 16, 2021
- Dodgers NLCS vs the Braves: Bubble Rematch for the Pennant | MLB Postseason 2021 October 16, 2021
- Red Sox vs. Astros ALCS Game 1 Highlights (10/15/21) | MLB Highlights October 16, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Would Mark Davis Promote Gus Bradley To Head Coach ? By Eric Pangilinan October 16, 2021
- Imagine the Gateway at UC Berkeley October 16, 2021