Mayor Pete Buttigieg Announces The Douglass Plan: A Comprehensive Investment in the Empowerment of Black America
SOUTH BEND, IN – Today, Mayor Pete Buttigieg announced a comprehensive and bold new ‘Douglass Plan’, in honor of Frederick Douglass, who called on America to better live up to its promise for all its people.
The Douglass Plan lays out a detailed approach for how the federal government can intentionally dismantle racist structures and systems, in large part by making an unprecedented investment in the economic freedom and self-determination of Black Americans.
Pete Buttigieg said “We have lived in the shadow of systemic racism for too long. We’ve seen a rise in white nationalism, an economic gap between Black and white workers that grows instead of shrinks, and worse health outcomes for Black Americans, particularly new mothers, that should make us all wonder how the richest country on earth can allow this to happen under our noses. The Douglass Plan will help heal our deep racial divides with bold policies that match the scale of the crises we face today.”
The plan (linked in full HERE) will focus on several key policy areas aimed at creating a more equitable America, including the following:
On Health Care: Launch a National Health Equity Strategy. Establish and invest in Health Equity Zones, especially in communities with histories of redlining and economic and social marginalization. Address the underrepresentation of Black Americans in the health workforce and train our existing health workforce to combat bias–especially racial bias–when treating patients.
On Education: Massively increase federal resources for students at Title I schools and incentivize state and local investments in middle school, high school, and college programs to increase readiness and competitiveness for Black students in STEM and other growing fields. Make public college tuition free for low-income students, increase dedicated resources for Historically Black Colleges and Universities and other Minority-Serving Institutions by $25 billion, and cancel the debts of borrowers in low-quality, overwhelmingly for-profit programs while holding predatory institutions accountable.
On Entrepreneurship: Triple the number Black entrepreneurs in 10 years and award 25% of all government contracts to minority business owners. Defer and forgive college loans for Pell-eligible students turned entrepreneurs who start and maintain a business within five years of leaving school. Ensure Black business owners and entrepreneurs have greater access to capital and credit, including by supercharging investment (5X) in minority-held depositories.
On Criminal Justice: Pete Buttigieg Douglass Plan calls for the reduction in the incarceration rate by 50% at both the federal and state level, abolish private federal prisons, eliminate incarceration for drug possession and reduce sentences for other drug offenses (and apply reductions retroactively), and double federal funding for states that implement criminal justice reforms.
On Housing: Pass a Community Homestead Act to foster asset ownership by enabling a public trust to purchase vacant and blighted properties and provide them to eligible residents in pilot cities while simultaneously investing in the revitalization of the surrounding neighborhoods.
On Public Health, Infrastructure, and Environmental Justice: Expand enforcement of environmental protections and invest in solutions to environmental threats, focusing on communities of color and families who face disproportionate health effects from pollution, tainted water, and inadequate infrastructure. Create a 21st-century public health data system of health threats.
On Voting Rights: Pete Buttigieg plan calls for passage of a 21st Century Voting Rights Act that ends voter suppression and expands voting access, including by making registration and voting easier by automatically registering eligible voters and allowing online and same-day registration. Restore voting rights to people who have been released from prison.
By reforming broken health, education, and criminal justice systems, strengthening access to credit, and injecting capital into the Black community, a Buttigieg Administration will take aggressive and bold steps toward fulfilling long-broken promises of true equality.
Read the full text of the Pete Buttigieg Douglass Plan HERE.
Related Posts (YARPP)
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Nba Time For The 76ers To Trade Ben Simmons- By Eric Pangilinan
- Maria Ayerdi Kaplan: Salesforce Transit Center Should Have Her Statue In Front Of It, Marc Beinoff
- Dave Kaval Headed Back To Las Vegas, After The Howard Terminal City Of Oakland Alameda County Fiasco
- What Atlanta 1 Step From NBA Finals 1 Year After Donald Trump, Rayshard Brooks, The Pandemic, Means
- Atlanta Hawks Shock Philadelphia 76ers 103 – 96 – Off To 2021 Eastern Conference Finals
- Louis Riddick Says Raiders Issue Always Been Defense Not Derek Carr – By Eric Pangilinan
- Boxing Errol Spence Jr Belives He Is The big Dog- By Eric Pangilinan
- Gus Bradley Putting In New Defense System For The Raiders By – Eric Pangilinan
- Philippines Orders Biggest Doese Of Covid Vaccine
- Nba Western Conference Finals Devin Booker Shines By- Eric Pangilinan
- Deep Dish Pizza – Lou Malnati’s Pizzeria Classic Style At Uptown Plaza, Phoenix, 100 E Camelback Rd
- Gus Bradley Putting In New Defense System For The Raiders By- Eric Pangilinan
- 2021 Juneteenth Shooting At Oakland Lake Merritt Shows Some Black Kids Don’t Value Black Life – Our Fault
- Juneteenth Lake Merritt Shooting: Oakland City Council’s Nikki Fortunado Bas, Carroll Fife Statement
- Kumasi Aaron Of ABC 7 At Juneteenth Jubilee Oakland, Produced By Oakland City Council’s Loren Taylor
- Juneteenth Walk Down Broadway In Oakland Brings Back Memories For Instagram Poster
- 1 dead, others injured after shots fired at Lake Merritt
- Brooklyn Loses NBA Playoffs Game 7 To Milwalkee 115 – 111 Kevin Durant Reverts To Warriors Time
- NBA Super Teams Dont Win Right Away By- Eric Pangilinan
- Kevin Durant Is God Reaction – Hits Tie Shot To Send Game 7 Vs Bucks To Overtime