OUSD’s Grab and Go Student Meal Service Returning to Summer Rules that Allow All Oakland Children to Receive Food Starting on Thursday, September 3
Oakland — After the first three weeks of the school year, in which our nutrition services team was required to verify all students receiving food attend our District-run schools, the federal government has made a big change. This week, the U.S. Department of Agriculture reversed course and announced that schools can now return to their grab and go policies from the summer.
Starting tomorrow, Thursday, September 3, all children in Oakland 18 years old and younger, can get food. They can be students in charter or private schools, or homeschooled. Students in our Young Adult Program can also receive food. It will include three meals for each weekday, and two meals for each weekend day. On Thursday, families will be able to pick up ten meals per child, plus other necessities courtesy of our partners across the city and county.
The fall semester policies that began on August 1 had caused a significant decline in participation in the District’s grab and go program, presumably because many families have children in both District-run schools, who could receive food, and charters or other schools, who could not. Another likely explanation is that the previous requirement that families had to show their students attend a District-run school might have scared some people off because they were worried their private information would fall into the hands of the federal government. The District assured families this would not happen, as OUSD does not give private student and family information to the federal government, yet it still likely contributed to the drop-off.
Our nutrition services staff will be taking attendance at the grab and go events, but families no longer have to prove their students attend District-run schools. “This is an exciting and welcome change,” said OUSD Nutrition Services Executive Director, Irene Reynolds. “Our role is to feed the young people of Oakland. It shouldn’t be to weed out families in need just because their children don’t attend our schools. Hunger is a critical issue in our city, especially now during the pandemic, and we must ensure all children receive the nutritious food they need to get them through this challenging time. We look forward to welcoming all families to our grab and go events on Monday and Thursday mornings, starting tomorrow.”
There are 22 sites across the District where families can pick up food from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., and you can find a map and more information on our website, ousd.org/nutrition.
One additional note: as Monday is the Labor Day national holiday, there will be no grab and go event.
Please don’t forget to wear a mask to protect yourself and those around you.
About the Oakland Unified School District
In California’s most diverse city, Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) is dedicated to creating a learning environment where “Every Student Thrives!” More than half of our students speak a non-English language at home. And each of our 81 schools is staffed with talented individuals uniting around a common set of values: Students First, Equity, Excellence, Integrity, Cultural Responsiveness and Joy. We are committed to preparing all students for college, career and community success.
To learn more about OUSD’s Full Service Community District focused on academic achievement while serving the whole child in safe schools, please visit OUSD.org and follow us @OUSDnews.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- NFL News, Dak Injury, NFL Trade Rumors On Von Miller & Odell Beckham, Cam Newton Destinations + Q&A October 18, 2021
- Best of Stephen Curry’s 2021-2022 Preseason 👌 October 18, 2021
- 49ers News & Rumors: Trade Jimmy Garoppolo For Odell Beckham? Sign Cam Newton? Kendricks Signs w/ SF October 18, 2021
- Is J.T. O’Sullivan Right About 49ers QB Trey Lance October 18, 2021
- Raiders Rumors, Overreaction Monday On Rich Bisaccia, Derek Carr + Winners & Losers vs. Broncos October 18, 2021
- Cal Men’s Basketball: Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Media Day Press Conference October 18, 2021
- Cal Women’s Soccer: Karlie Lema’s late goal gives Cal a 1-0 road win over Utah October 18, 2021
- Falcons News & Rumors: Grady Jarrett Trade Rumors? Josh Andrews Back? Falcons vs Dolphins EASY Win? October 18, 2021
- Mike Golic: Las Vegas Raiders used Broncos game as ‘safe haven’ | Pro Football Talk | NBC Sports October 18, 2021
- Statement from President Barack Obama on the Passing of General Colin Powell October 18, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders | The Jon Gruden Era Is Over In Las Vegas October 18, 2021
- A Retired East Bay Teacher Raised More Than $300K for Schools. Now, He Has a New, Ambitious Goal October 18, 2021
- Colin Powell RIP – Endorsement Of Barack Obama in 2008 Marked Major Change In Black Relations October 18, 2021
- COWBOYS y PATRIOTS luchan hasta el TIEMPO EXTRA | Semana 6 2021 NFL Game Highlights October 18, 2021
- ‘Bloomberg Technology’ Full Show (10/15/2021) October 18, 2021
- Dodgers vs. Braves NLCS Game 2 Highlights (10/17/21) | MLB Highlights October 18, 2021
- Derreck Johnson Runs For Mayor Of Oakland In 2022 Elections October 18, 2021
- Tech Byte – Tech for Tracking MLB Playoffs October 18, 2021
- Hisense | Washing Machine | All in One October 18, 2021
- Hisense X Laser TV | Bring cinema home October 18, 2021
- COVID-19 Vaccine & My Career | Funky Fridays w/ Cam Newton October 18, 2021
- U.S. Industrial Production And Capacity Utilization Report For October 18th 2021 From The Federal Reserve October 18, 2021
- DODGERS NEWS: MLB Weekly Update // Tom Cruise? Shirtless Scherzer?! Fugitive Behind Home Plate…??? October 18, 2021
- TECH – STAR WARS THE BLACK SERIES REVIEW October 18, 2021
- Frank Somerville 99 % Not Returning To KTVU After Of Gabby Petito Dustup – Oakland’s Rich Lieberman October 18, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders vs Broncos Post Game Live October 18, 2021
- Las Vegas raiders defeat the Denver broncos 34 to 24 My game reaction October 18, 2021
- Raiders QB Derek Carr on Week 6 win over Denver. Oct 17, 2021 October 18, 2021
- MLB PLAYOFFS #Braves #Dodgers #Astros October 18, 2021
- BLACK ADAM TEASER REVIEW 💥💥 | தாருமாரு TEASER 🤩🤩🤩 | NOVA TECH | October 18, 2021