Oakland Girls To Take Part in Soroptimist International’s “Steps to Success” on Saturday; Program Includes Tribute to Vice President Kamala Harris
Oakland – 50 Oakland school girls will take part in Soroptimist International of Oakland’s 16th Annual “Steps to Success” on Saturday, April 17, and receive a special gift in tribute to Oakland’s own Vice President, Kamala Harris. The event is a mentoring and creativity program to help East Oakland girls discover their unique path to follow to find success in life and reach their dreams. The girls from Horace Mann Elementary School and Madison Park Academy Primary school will join the virtual event on Saturday morning, and receive mentoring from Soroptimist members. They’ll also receive art instruction with the supplies shown, creating a picture of Vice President Harris.
Together, the group will “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes,” helping the girls envision their futures, inspired by the life of Vice President Harris, who was born in Oakland. Each girl will also receive a new pair of the VP’s favorite Converse Chuck Taylor sneakers to walk forward proudly on their own path, taking “Steps to Success.” Students and adults pictured to the right are from a previous “Steps to Success” event.
About Soroptimist International
Soroptimist International, a global service organization committed to improving the lives of women and girls, is celebrating its 100th anniversary. Soroptimist was founded in 1921 in Oakland, California. Today, Soroptimist International is the world’s largest volunteer service organization for women, with nearly 100,000 club members in 130 countries. Soroptimist International of Oakland is the Founder Club. SI Oakland’s Shoe Project started 15 years ago with club members pooling funds to buy one classroom of Oakland elementary schoolgirls much-needed shoes. It has grown into a critical mentoring project at an important time in the lives of Oakland schoolgirls. Check out the Shoe Project video at http://www.SoroptimistOakland.org/Shoe-Project.html. We extend appreciation to Madison Park Academy Primary and Horace Mann Elementary for their partnership.
About the Oakland Unified School District
In California’s most diverse city, Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) is dedicated to creating a learning environment where “Every Student Thrives!” More than half of our students speak a non-English language at home. And each of our 81 schools is staffed with talented individuals uniting around a common set of values: Students First, Equity, Excellence, Integrity, Cultural Responsiveness and Joy. We are committed to preparing all students for college, career and community success. To learn more about OUSD’s Full Service Community District focused on academic achievement while serving the whole child in safe schools, please visit OUSD.org and follow us @OUSDnews.
Related Posts (YARPP)
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Mandela Station At West Oakland BART Shows New City In City
- Self-Service Buffets Return To Las Vegas Strip
- Dogecoin Cools After Week Of Dramatic Growth Ahead Of Elon Musk On SNL
- Oakland Police Department On Unsolved Homicide Of Henry Texada
- Oakland Police Captain Jones With Ceasefire, Captain Holmgren Talk Violent Crime
- Mass Vaccination Site at Oakland Coliseum Closing
- Leigh Steinberg Talks NFL Post 2021 Draft – Will COVID-19 Be The Same Problem As 2020?
- Carroll Fife Oakland District 3 Councilmember On Housing, Homelessness, and Reform
- This Bullying Oakland Mayor Schaaf Has Gone Too Far – Terrorizing Libby As Evil As Police Brutality
- SpaceX’s Starship SN15 Makes First Landing Without Exploding
- John Jones Has A Major Surprise For Oakland California Friends, Politicians
- Oakland Planning Commission Approved Giant 415 20th Skyscraper Ignores Homeless – Thomas Berkeley?
- Oakland Planning Commission Meets Livestream On 415 20th, The Tallest Building In Oakland, If Built
- Oakland And San Francisco Hire California Movers USA For Your Next Relocation
- 415 20th Street Will Be Oakland’s Tallest Building, Draw 3,800 Employees – Planning Commission Says It Has No Impact
- Oakland Lacrosse Club, Oakland Athletic League, OUSD Partner For Girls Lacrosse League
- Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow: The Futurism Of Walt Disney
- Weather Forecast Oakland, California 05/05/2021
- SF Bay Area Bicycle Is Back With: Bike Oakland Ride To The New Ghost Town
- Oakland City Council Approves Including Councilmember Bas, Taylor, Police Alternatives In Budget