Oakland Athletic League (OAL) to Host First Annual Fundraising Golf Tournament for Middle School Sports on Thursday, Celebrating 80th Anniversary of the OAL
Oakland, CA – (Sorry, but OUSD only put out this press release less than 24 hours ago, rather than the start of this week.) The Oakland Athletic League (OAL) knows how important sports are to young people. And while the pandemic has brought sports to a halt in OUSD, both the District and the OAL know that sometime, hopefully sooner than later, Oakland will return to conditions that allow sports to resume for all student-athletes. Because middle school sports are a critical part of our extracurricular programs, on Thursday, the OAL is hosting the First Annual Fundraising Golf Tournament at Lake Chabot Golf Course.
Nearly 100 golfers from across the region will converge on Lake Chabot in the Oakland Hills for a day on the links in socially distant fashion to raise money for middle school sports. The tournament, which is being driven in part by a dedicated group of volunteers, will help the Oakland Athletic League improve middle school sports, develop a return to play strategy, and spark collaboration across youth-development groups.
A large part of the OAL’s mission is to expand access to sports for all students, especially girls. “We want to get our kids back out there on the fields of play as soon as it can be done safely,” said Oakland Athletic League Commissioner, Franky Navarro. “Once we can do that, we will ensure all of our student-athletes are engaged, at every school, in every sport we offer, with a particular focus on girls. Of course, engagement in sports means engagement in the classroom, which is what we want for all Oakland students.”
“We thank all the participants in our First Annual OAL Middle School Sports Golf Tournament,” said Superintendent Kyla Johnson-Trammell. “And we thank those who can’t make it this year, but are still supporting this great cause with a donation. Sports are a fun and important part of student life, teaching our young people teamwork, dedication, leadership and countless other skills. Those tools help them in the classroom and at home, and serve them well as they graduate into other parts of their lives.”
The tournament, which runs most of the day, is now sold out. Anyone who wants to support middle school sports can still do so by donating to the Oakland Athletic League (above), which has a rich history that began in 1940, when Franklin Delano Roosevelt was President.
WHAT: First Annual Oakland Athletic League Middle School Sports Golf Tournament
WHEN: 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Thursday, November 12
WHERE: Lake Chabot Golf Course, 11450 Golf Links Road, Oakland
Post based on press release to Zennie62Media from OUSD.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Ray Bobbitt Of AASEG Talks WNBA At Oakland Arena Progress
- California Mask Mandate To End June 15 by Eric Pangilinan
- Oakland Black Sports Group Presents WNBA At The Oakland Arena Lease Agreement Term Sheet
- Anti Terrorism Law In The Philippines by Eric Pangilinan
- Petroecuador’s 3,000 Oil Spills In Ecuador Covered Up By Steven Donziger Blame Chevron Game
- Are Super Teams Good For The NBA? By Eric Pangilinan
- Is John Gruden Creating A Negative Culture With The Las Vegas Raiders??
- My First Video I did on the Homeless in Oakland in 2003
- Downs Oakland Sunday Service 6.13.21
- The Optimistic Oakland A’s Report – 06.13.21
- Upgraded Loft in The heart of Oakland, CA
- San Francisco Courtroom 1 9:00am Monday 6/14
- Oakland Athletics Howard Terminal Ballpark Spreadsheet Shows TIF, Community Revenue Results
- Is Jon Gruden Creating A Negative Culture With The Las Vegas Raiders?? By Eric Pangilinan
- Arden Key Jr
- WALKING DEAD SEASON 11 ENDING
- Phoenix Suns Sweep Denver To Get Western Conference Finals Berth
- Eric Pangilinan Vlogger Zennie62
- Introducing Eric Pangilinan As New Zennie62 Vlogger
- Eric Pangilinanvlogger Zennie62