The press release “Middle School Students Create Sounds of Jazz and OUSD Graduates Learn About After School Options During Holiday-Shortened Week” was sent to Zennie62Media.
Oakland, CA — Even though the Independence Day holiday falls on Thursday, there is still exciting activity happening this week in Oakland Unified School District (OUSD). All week (minus the holiday) middle school musicians are jamming during their intensive summer jazz camp at Roosevelt Middle School. And on Tuesday, recent or soon-to-be graduates will converge on Oakland High School for OUSD Opportunity Day.
Members of the Oakland Unified School District Class of 2019 who have yet to determine exactly what they are doing in the fall are all invited to Opportunity Day. There will be college and career representatives ready to support students with their plans. Whether they’re interested in work, job training, a four year university, or community college, there will be partners ready to support students. There will also be help stations to apply for financial aid.
Four year colleges and universities, plus community colleges will be on hand, including San Francisco State University, Holy Names University, Mills College, Merritt College, Laney College, and Berkeley City College, among others. There will also career resources available including Peralta Colleges Career and Technical Education Information, Bay Area Easter Seals and Reading Partners. Media is invited.
On Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, and all next week, 75 middle school students are taking part in OUSD’s Summer Jazz Camp. This is an intensive music training program for which students receive summer school credit. OUSD music teachers are running this camp with help from recent OUSD graduates and current high school musicians. This kind of jazz camp run by private entities can cost families hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars. Each day starts with a group sing along and dance, then it’s on to hours of working with their instruments.
Tuesday, July 9 is a special luncheon with Jazz Camp sponsors, supporters and other community members. Then on Friday, July 12, which is the final day of the camp, there will be an afternoon/evening performance by the musicians. The concert will be open to all, including media.
WHAT: OUSD Opportunity Day for New and Soon-To-Be Graduates
WHEN: 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., Tuesday, July 2
WHERE: Oakland High School, 1023 MacArthur Blvd
WHAT: OUSD Summer Jazz Camp for Middle School Students
WHEN: 8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., Each Weekday (Except July 4) Through July 12; Concert on Friday Afternoon, July 12
WHERE: Roosevelt Middle School, 1926 19th Avenue
About the Oakland Unified School District
In California’s most diverse city, Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) is dedicated to creating a learning environment where “Every Student Thrives!” More than half of our students speak a non-English language at home. And each of our 86 schools is staffed with talented individuals uniting around a common set of values: Students First, Equity, Excellence, Integrity, Cultural Responsiveness and Joy. We are committed to preparing all students for college, career and community success.
To learn more about OUSD’s Full Service Community District focused on academic achievement while serving the whole child in safe schools, please visit OUSD.org and follow us @OUSDnews.
Oakland News Now Related Posts
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Warriors Steph Curry Highlights: Uses His Head In An Unusual Way To Score On Grizzlies Kyle Anderson
- Warriors Steph Curry Uses His Head In An Unusual Way To Score On Grizzlies Kyle Anderson
- Naismith SCHOOLS Cooperstown With Its 2021 Basketball Hall Of Fame Class, By: Vinny Lospinudo
- Oakland Youth Beat To Host Creating in Place Virtual Screening Party, Fundraiser
- Ricky Schroder Video Of Himself Harassing Costco Employee Over Face Mask Rule Goes Viral
- Resurrection Oakland Church Service For May 16, 2021 10 AM
- The Next Steph Curry Is Practicing Jump Shots From Downtown Right Now
- Community Holds ‘Unity Against Hate’ Rally in Oakland
- Giant Palestine Israel Protest In San Francisco Mission District
- Oakland Councilmember Dan Kalb Asks For City And Oakland Athletics To Keep Ballpark Talks Quiet
- Rombauer Upsets Medina Sprit Comes From Behind To Win The Preakness Stakes – Race Real Time Reaction
- SF Bay Area White “Journalists” Can’t Stand Black Oakland Blogger With His Own Opinion
- East Oakland Stadium Alliance Pushes Coliseum Ballpark With Flooding Future
- Let’s Meet. For Real. Meet In Oakland (full video)
- Base Camp 2021 Kick Off Hype Video
- 2021 Honda CR-V EX 2WD Sale Price Lease Bay Area Oakland Alameda Hayward Fremont San Leandro CA 4553
- Oakland Police Investigate After Elderly Man Attacked
- POOLE PARTY! Jordan Splashes Home 38 Points in Warriors’ Win | May 14, 2021
- Warriors Talk: Jordan Poole on his 38-Point Night vs. Pelicans – May 14, 2021
- Taj Tashombe, Oakland A’s VP Of Gov Affairs Is NAACP 2021 Black Male Achievement Award Winner