The press release “Middle School Students Create Sounds of Jazz and OUSD Graduates Learn About After School Options During Holiday-Shortened Week” was sent to Zennie62Media.
Oakland, CA — Even though the Independence Day holiday falls on Thursday, there is still exciting activity happening this week in Oakland Unified School District (OUSD). All week (minus the holiday) middle school musicians are jamming during their intensive summer jazz camp at Roosevelt Middle School. And on Tuesday, recent or soon-to-be graduates will converge on Oakland High School for OUSD Opportunity Day.
Members of the Oakland Unified School District Class of 2019 who have yet to determine exactly what they are doing in the fall are all invited to Opportunity Day. There will be college and career representatives ready to support students with their plans. Whether they’re interested in work, job training, a four year university, or community college, there will be partners ready to support students. There will also be help stations to apply for financial aid.
Four year colleges and universities, plus community colleges will be on hand, including San Francisco State University, Holy Names University, Mills College, Merritt College, Laney College, and Berkeley City College, among others. There will also career resources available including Peralta Colleges Career and Technical Education Information, Bay Area Easter Seals and Reading Partners. Media is invited.
On Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, and all next week, 75 middle school students are taking part in OUSD’s Summer Jazz Camp. This is an intensive music training program for which students receive summer school credit. OUSD music teachers are running this camp with help from recent OUSD graduates and current high school musicians. This kind of jazz camp run by private entities can cost families hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars. Each day starts with a group sing along and dance, then it’s on to hours of working with their instruments.
Tuesday, July 9 is a special luncheon with Jazz Camp sponsors, supporters and other community members. Then on Friday, July 12, which is the final day of the camp, there will be an afternoon/evening performance by the musicians. The concert will be open to all, including media.
WHAT: OUSD Opportunity Day for New and Soon-To-Be Graduates
WHEN: 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., Tuesday, July 2
WHERE: Oakland High School, 1023 MacArthur Blvd
WHAT: OUSD Summer Jazz Camp for Middle School Students
WHEN: 8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., Each Weekday (Except July 4) Through July 12; Concert on Friday Afternoon, July 12
WHERE: Roosevelt Middle School, 1926 19th Avenue
About the Oakland Unified School District
In California’s most diverse city, Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) is dedicated to creating a learning environment where “Every Student Thrives!” More than half of our students speak a non-English language at home. And each of our 86 schools is staffed with talented individuals uniting around a common set of values: Students First, Equity, Excellence, Integrity, Cultural Responsiveness and Joy. We are committed to preparing all students for college, career and community success.
To learn more about OUSD’s Full Service Community District focused on academic achievement while serving the whole child in safe schools, please visit OUSD.org and follow us @OUSDnews.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Bye Bye New England! INSANE Ending Cowboys vs. Patriots October 18, 2021
- Nation’s Top Cannabis Companies Partner to Deliver Point of Purchase Data on Cannabis Products to Consumers, Manufacturers October 18, 2021
- West Oakland skate park fire October 18, 2021
- Film Study: Derek Carr was incredible for the Las Vegas Raiders Vs the Denver Broncos October 18, 2021
- 1044 Aquarius Way Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale October 18, 2021
- 4601 Grass Valley Rd Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale October 18, 2021
- 30 years since firestorm tore through Oakland hills October 18, 2021
- FIRST TAKE | Stephen A. EXCITED Las Vegas Raiders win vs. Denver Broncos, after Gruden’s resignation October 18, 2021
- Broncos season slipping from grasp after Raiders loss October 18, 2021
- NFL News, Dak Injury, NFL Trade Rumors On Von Miller & Odell Beckham, Cam Newton Destinations + Q&A October 18, 2021
- Best of Stephen Curry’s 2021-2022 Preseason 👌 October 18, 2021
- 49ers News & Rumors: Trade Jimmy Garoppolo For Odell Beckham? Sign Cam Newton? Kendricks Signs w/ SF October 18, 2021
- Is J.T. O’Sullivan Right About 49ers QB Trey Lance October 18, 2021
- Raiders Rumors, Overreaction Monday On Rich Bisaccia, Derek Carr + Winners & Losers vs. Broncos October 18, 2021
- Cal Men’s Basketball: Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Media Day Press Conference October 18, 2021
- Cal Women’s Soccer: Karlie Lema’s late goal gives Cal a 1-0 road win over Utah October 18, 2021
- Falcons News & Rumors: Grady Jarrett Trade Rumors? Josh Andrews Back? Falcons vs Dolphins EASY Win? October 18, 2021
- Mike Golic: Las Vegas Raiders used Broncos game as ‘safe haven’ | Pro Football Talk | NBC Sports October 18, 2021
- Statement from President Barack Obama on the Passing of General Colin Powell October 18, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders | The Jon Gruden Era Is Over In Las Vegas October 18, 2021
- A Retired East Bay Teacher Raised More Than $300K for Schools. Now, He Has a New, Ambitious Goal October 18, 2021
- Colin Powell RIP – Endorsement Of Barack Obama in 2008 Marked Major Change In Black Relations October 18, 2021
- COWBOYS y PATRIOTS luchan hasta el TIEMPO EXTRA | Semana 6 2021 NFL Game Highlights October 18, 2021
- ‘Bloomberg Technology’ Full Show (10/15/2021) October 18, 2021
- Dodgers vs. Braves NLCS Game 2 Highlights (10/17/21) | MLB Highlights October 18, 2021
- Derreck Johnson Runs For Mayor Of Oakland In 2022 Elections October 18, 2021
- Tech Byte – Tech for Tracking MLB Playoffs October 18, 2021
- Hisense | Washing Machine | All in One October 18, 2021
- Hisense X Laser TV | Bring cinema home October 18, 2021
- COVID-19 Vaccine & My Career | Funky Fridays w/ Cam Newton October 18, 2021