The press release “Middle School Students Create Sounds of Jazz and OUSD Graduates Learn About After School Options During Holiday-Shortened Week” was sent to Zennie62Media.
Oakland, CA — Even though the Independence Day holiday falls on Thursday, there is still exciting activity happening this week in Oakland Unified School District (OUSD). All week (minus the holiday) middle school musicians are jamming during their intensive summer jazz camp at Roosevelt Middle School. And on Tuesday, recent or soon-to-be graduates will converge on Oakland High School for OUSD Opportunity Day.
Members of the Oakland Unified School District Class of 2019 who have yet to determine exactly what they are doing in the fall are all invited to Opportunity Day. There will be college and career representatives ready to support students with their plans. Whether they’re interested in work, job training, a four year university, or community college, there will be partners ready to support students. There will also be help stations to apply for financial aid.
Four year colleges and universities, plus community colleges will be on hand, including San Francisco State University, Holy Names University, Mills College, Merritt College, Laney College, and Berkeley City College, among others. There will also career resources available including Peralta Colleges Career and Technical Education Information, Bay Area Easter Seals and Reading Partners. Media is invited.
On Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, and all next week, 75 middle school students are taking part in OUSD’s Summer Jazz Camp. This is an intensive music training program for which students receive summer school credit. OUSD music teachers are running this camp with help from recent OUSD graduates and current high school musicians. This kind of jazz camp run by private entities can cost families hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars. Each day starts with a group sing along and dance, then it’s on to hours of working with their instruments.
Tuesday, July 9 is a special luncheon with Jazz Camp sponsors, supporters and other community members. Then on Friday, July 12, which is the final day of the camp, there will be an afternoon/evening performance by the musicians. The concert will be open to all, including media.
WHAT: OUSD Opportunity Day for New and Soon-To-Be Graduates
WHEN: 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., Tuesday, July 2
WHERE: Oakland High School, 1023 MacArthur Blvd
WHAT: OUSD Summer Jazz Camp for Middle School Students
WHEN: 8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., Each Weekday (Except July 4) Through July 12; Concert on Friday Afternoon, July 12
WHERE: Roosevelt Middle School, 1926 19th Avenue
About the Oakland Unified School District
In California’s most diverse city, Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) is dedicated to creating a learning environment where “Every Student Thrives!” More than half of our students speak a non-English language at home. And each of our 86 schools is staffed with talented individuals uniting around a common set of values: Students First, Equity, Excellence, Integrity, Cultural Responsiveness and Joy. We are committed to preparing all students for college, career and community success.
To learn more about OUSD’s Full Service Community District focused on academic achievement while serving the whole child in safe schools, please visit OUSD.org and follow us @OUSDnews.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Marvel Studios’ Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings | Official Teaser
- Oakland Schools News: OEA & OUSD Reach Tentative Agreement On 21-22 School Year Calendar
- Rusty Hardin, Deshaun Watson Lawyer, Asserts Client’s Innocence In Statement After Filing Response
- WhereDoWeGoOakland Is An Oakland Success By Derrick Soo
- Texans QB Deshaun Watson Answer To 22 Tony Buzbee Lawsuits Details Lies, Money Grab
- 2021 NFL First Round Mock Draft By Dave Squires
- WhereDoWeGoOakland Is A Success By Derrick Soo
- First Flight of the Ingenuity Mars Helicopter: Live from Mission Control
- LIVE: Press Briefing by White House COVID-19 Response Team — 4/19/21
- WHITE HOUSE LIVE CAM – Washington D.C. | USA | earthTV®
- USS Oakland (LCS-24) Commissioning Ceremony
- Capolow Talks Oakland, The Bay Area, Having His Own Strain, Signing To Cinematic
- USS Oakland (LCS 24) Joins the Fleet
- Daunte Wright and Adam Toledo Protest – Oakland 4/16
- Oakland A’s 2021 Final Out and Win Celebration VS Detroit Tigers 4/17/21
- Oakland Pre-K Through 6th Grade Classes Set to Reopen Monday
- Port of Oakland Drone Flight 4K
- Resurrection Oakland Church | April 18, 2021. 10am
- 2021 NFL Mock Draft V3 Livestream By Zennie62Media For April 18th
- Katy Perry Backs That Ass Up To Shocked Luke Bryan On American Idol