Oakland Unified School District Communications Director John Sasaki sent this to Zennie62Media.
OUSD Asks Everyone in the District Community to be Respectful of Each Other on Social Media and Elsewhere
Dear Oakland Unified Community,
Recently, we have seen some social media posts from staff and families that have raised the temperature on the discussion surrounding the opening of schools. In particular, we saw one Tweet from a staff member that left many families feeling disrespected and insulted. It has been shared numerous times by upset families. The staff member has since apologized for the Tweet, but we felt it necessary to make a few things clear.
We are the Oakland UNIFIED School District. We are unified around many things, particularly by our desire to provide the best possible education for all of our students. As part of this Unified District, we want everyone in our community – students, staff, family members, community members – to conduct themselves appropriately, as we are all part of the OUSD family.
To that end, we ask everyone to refrain from personal insults or attacks, as they do not help in this situation or any other, and only serve to inflame tensions. If we learn of incidents in which our staff is insulting or disrespecting our families – or vice versa – we will respond appropriately.
Whether we are families or staff, we all want the best for Oakland’s students. We hope everyone assumes the best of intentions in each other, and that we will find ways to work together to provide the best for our young people, rather than doing anything counterproductive to that mission.
This is as much of the Twitter exchange referred to as I could find:
— ??? Anagha (@skwigee) February 23, 2021
— ★ Arvi Sreenivasan (@arvi1000) February 23, 2021
Hard to follow what's going on, but this is urgent! I hope to get some clarity from Gary Yee's OUSD D4 Parents zoom meeting tomorrow
— ★ Arvi Sreenivasan (@arvi1000) February 23, 2021
OUSD, where do you stand? It's time to prioritize BLACK STUDENTS!! https://t.co/qWTVpJq1vD
Take a stand today! @ShanthiGonzales @AimeeEngOakland @SupKylaOUSD @BayAreaPLAN @Parent_Voices @demandj4OS pic.twitter.com/j0O4WpMWFy
— Oakland Education Association (@OaklandEA) February 23, 2021
Black students have a right to feel safe, achieve academically and thrive in OUSD. Go to https://t.co/ToXKYv9mQq to send a letter to the Board telling them to pass the Reparations for Black Students Resolution and invest in Black students and families! pic.twitter.com/J7CwQKiKUK
— Ella Baker Center (@ellabakercenter) February 22, 2021
— Planting Justice (@plantingjustice) February 22, 2021
Related info. What happened at Sac Unified is happening across the state. It's worth OUSD Sped families to file a compliance complaint including "all similarly situated students." https://t.co/GYpQkbv3a4
— Anna Johnson (@SumPepandWong) February 22, 2021
The superintendent emailed yesterday with links to the last OEA proposal (1/30) and last OUSD proposal (2/8)… so nothing has happened at all in the last 14 days despite rapid(ish) vaccinations and dramatically falling case rates.
— Allan Mizrahi (@AllanMizrahi) February 22, 2021
Labor Update: Working to reach an agreement
We stand ready to work with all of our labor partners. Read an update from Superintendent Kyla Johnson-Trammell, where you can find last proposals from the District and OEA. https://t.co/SCT4sFgQ6h pic.twitter.com/D4SLX3PygJ
— ousdnews (@OUSDNews) February 22, 2021
Not sure about which OEA proposal you are referring to. This summer they were @ no more than 10 TOTAL cases per100K over 14 days in Oakland which equated to 0.7 per 100K daily avg case rate for 14 days. Still trolling as they may as well have just said "when covid is gone"
— Dina Frandsen (@DinaFrandsen) February 22, 2021
This is an excellent chart. Thank you. The school board and the union are in cahoots trolling us. Cases (10.1/100k) are 1/3 of where they were as of the last OEA proposal (30/100k) and 1/2 of where they were as of last OUSD proposal (20/100k)
— Allan Mizrahi (@AllanMizrahi) February 22, 2021
Last week, the report card is on on OUSD and serving Black families, COVID meal delivery, the performance politics of education, Black Asian solidarity on violence, the NAACP's complaint against OUSD, and more The Oakland Ed Week in Review: 2/15-2/21 https://t.co/gDuzmFGWuO
— Dirk Tillotson (@dirktillotson) February 22, 2021
Well…The folks we must partner with to Demand Reparations! Ha! disproportionately our black and brown babies don’t get the best of Sped services in OUSD. Look at the CAC?? Where the big mouths from the back of the room talkin what charters do! Wonder what EFC contract say?
— jumoke hinton hodge (@hintonhodge4oak) February 22, 2021
The school board will vote on the Reparations for Black Students resolution THIS Wednesday! There's not enough support on the board to pass the Resolution. Join Tyler in supporting this campaign! Visit https://t.co/Eb0sFjNEeX to email the School Board encouraging them to vote YES pic.twitter.com/aiDulu19S0
— Oakland Kids First (@OaklandKids1st) February 22, 2021
And then, there’s this February 21st, 2021 message from the OUSD Superintendent:
Dear Oakland Community,
I am writing to share a brief update about our ongoing labor negotiations. As we have since last March, we are exploring every way to meet the needs of District students, families, and staff in alignment with public health guidance.
We have been negotiating in good faith with the Oakland Education Association (OEA) for months in the hopes of reaching a new MOU about the impacts and effects of returning to in-person learning. From the beginning of these negotiations, the District’s negotiating team has had full authority to reach an agreement.
For those interested in more detail, the District’s last proposal can be found here (dated: February 8, 2021) and OEA’s last proposal can be found here (dated: January 28, 2021). You can review all of the District’s proposals and OEA’s proposals here.
We stand ready to work with all of our labor partners. We appreciate the time and effort that all of our labor partners have taken to establish agreements that allow us to serve our students and community while protecting staff members.
As I mentioned early this week, it is during trying times like this that it is easy to become frustrated and divided. I implore all members of our community to stay united around our common values and goals. Based on those common values and goals, I sincerely believe that we can reach an agreement that is good for students, families, and staff.
Dr. Kyla Johnson-Trammell
Stay tuned for updates to this post.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Las Vegas Raiders ESPN Named QB Derek Carr The Most Underappreciated In The NFL By Eric Pangilinan September 24, 2021
- Frank Somerville Of KTVU Suspended For Gabby Petito Comments He Told Blogger Richard Lieberman September 24, 2021
- Cam Jordan on Mac Jones, Belichick’s Offense | New Orleans Saints September 24, 2021
- Jameis Winston on Sean Payton & Bill Belichick | New Orleans Saints September 24, 2021
- Coach Gruden on Final Prep for Miami and Richie Incognito’s Progress | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL September 24, 2021
- Leyton CES 2022 Challenge September 24, 2021
- Are Oakland A’s Baseball Fans Voting NO to Dave Kaval and Organization by Derrick Soo September 24, 2021
- Jake Ellenbogen LA Rams Vlogger At Downtown Rams Interviewed By Zennie62Media’s Bill Carroll September 24, 2021
- Are Oakland Baseball Fans Voting NO to Dave Kaval and Organization by Derrick Soo September 24, 2021
- Deshaun Watson – 60 Percent Of The Tony Buzbee Lawsuits Look Fake – Here’s Why September 24, 2021
- When will the Dolphins make their big push for Deshaun Watson? | Pro Football Talk | NBC Sports September 24, 2021
- Bike Oakland & Alameda: Solstice Art ride (Oyster Bay, Airport, Bay Farm) September 24, 2021
- Deshaun Watson Remains Committed to Forcing His Way out of Houston | THE ODD COUPLE September 24, 2021
- Christian McCaffrey Injury Status – Panthers Matt Rhule Gives Injury Update After Win Over Texans September 24, 2021
- Oakland A’s Dave Stewart Wants To Own Coliseum Land, But Blasts Councilmember Kaplan On Twitter September 24, 2021
- Oakland Hit With Lawsuit for Failure to Clean Up Homeless Camps September 24, 2021
- Readout of Biden Administration Convening to Discuss and Address Semiconductor Supply Chain September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Vs Dolphins Won’t Be Aired On Some Tv Market In California By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Defense Is The Key To Victory In Week By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- RecallOakland.com Website For Stupid Idea Recalling Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf Months Before She’s Termed Out September 23, 2021
- Nintendo Reveals Cast For The Mario Movie in 2022. Yes This Is Real, By: Vinny Lospinuso September 23, 2021
- BREAKING: Arrest Warrant Issued for Brian Laundrie in Gabby Petito’s Death September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Tom Flores To Receive Hall Of Fame Ring At Allegiant Stadium By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Justin Fields First NFL Start Will Come Against The Browns | Pat McAfee Reacts September 23, 2021
- Coach Bradley, Coach Olson, Denzel Perryman and Kenyan Drake Presser – 9.23.21 | Las Vegas Raiders September 23, 2021
- Supermodel Linda Evangelista Has Been “Brutally Disfigured” by Procedure Done 5 Years Ago | PEOPLE September 23, 2021
- Author Jameis1of1 Talks About Jameis Winston And Gives Thoughts On Pats vs Saints Game September 23, 2021
- Kate Scott Is Philadelphia’s First Female Sports Broadcaster – That’s No Accident – Here’s Why September 23, 2021
- Mom Gets Surprise Giant Gift Box From Rocket Mortgage Sent Via UPS September 23, 2021
- How U.C. Berkeley Beat Harvard And Yale To Become The Best College In America | Forbes September 23, 2021
- Judge Orders UC Berkeley To Freeze Enrollment After Neighborhood Group Sues September 23, 2021
- Save 1921 Walnut St. Berkeley – Tenants Protest Demolition, UC Berkeley, Mayor Jesse Arreguin Actions September 23, 2021
- 30 Weirdest Things Ever Caught On Security Cameras & CCTV ! September 23, 2021
- The Raiders Are LETHAL With Derek Carr and Jon Gruden in Sync | Tiki and Tierney September 23, 2021
- Melvin Van Peebles on Bill Cosby Allegations; Being a Pioneer September 23, 2021
- Unstoppable: Melvin Van Peebles, Gordon Parks, and Ossie Davis in Conversation (2005) September 23, 2021
- Groundbreaking Filmmaker Melvin Van Peebles Has Died September 23, 2021
- R.I.P Mario Van Peebles Dad, Speaks On How His Father Melvin Van Peebles Died September 23, 2021
- 2021 09 21 Meeting with DSP UC Berkeley Students with Disabilities Coalition PART 2 September 23, 2021
- Nobel Prize Medal Presented to UC Berkeley Chemistry Professor Jennifer Doudna at her Berkeley Home September 23, 2021