Youth Beat to Host Creating in Place: Take 2, a Virtual Screening Party and Fundraiser on Tuesday to Celebrate and Support OUSD’s Aspiring Filmmakers
Oakland, CA — On Tuesday, May 18, Youth Beat will host Creating In Place, a virtual screening party and fundraiser to showcase and support OUSD’s aspiring media makers. The event will showcase the year’s best “Quarantine Creations,” which are short films, animations and photography all created by Oakland students during the 2020-21 school year.
“This has been a school year none of us will ever forget,” said Jake Schoneker, Youth Beat’s Executive Director. “Through this whole pandemic, these incredible, resilient Oakland youth have continued to show up to class, continued to connect with each other, and continued to create — all via Zoom. And their films are so impressive and inspiring — we can’t wait to screen them!”
The feature presentation will be Of Oakland — Youth Beat’s student-made documentary that explores how empathy exists in different spaces and communities of Oakland. Students took on director, editor, and producer roles to piece together students’ stories for this film.
“Of Oakland is something that every Oaklander should see,” said Schoneker. “In a world that is so divided right now, these Oakland students show us how diversity can create more connection and community between different cultures. It’s also a high quality group production that shows just how hardworking and talented our students are.”
In addition to sharing student work, Youth Beat hopes the May 18 screening party will raise funds to help support its summer classes and internship programs. “The COVID crisis has hit Oakland kids extremely hard,” said Schoneker. “As soon as the quarantine started our talented team of Teaching Artists quickly learned to engage and support students in a virtual space. The students have been creating award-winning work all from home. But we need to raise funds now to ensure that we can continue with classes, providing our students internships, mentors and professional gear in the year to come.”
Youth Beat student Sofia Verani said, “During this quarantine, Youth Beat has taught me how to direct films virtually, which has deepened my interest in documentary filmmaking. I’m going to continue exploring that creative side of myself this Fall at Emerson College!” Sofia will be majoring in film and has a bright future ahead of her making movies — and you’ll get to see her directorial debut at Creating in Place!
The program will also feature students from Youth Beat’s animation program, like Jamilah Ali, a newcomer student who attends Oakland International High School. “Youth Beat makes me feel special and like I belong, even virtually,” Ali said. “I’ve always wanted to learn animation, how to use Adobe Photoshop and Animate, and Youth Beat’s Animation class has given me those skills. In the future I want to create an animated series, and Youth Beat makes me feel confident that I can!”
Tickets for #CreatingInPlace are FREE but reservations are required and seats are limited. Learn more at www.youthbeat.org/events. People who can’t join the live stream event are encouraged to reserve a spot anyway. Everyone with a reservation will receive a link to watch a recording of the event and films.
Youth Beat is based at KDOL-TV, OUSD’s education access television station and provides in-depth multimedia training to hundreds of OUSD students every year.
WHAT: Youth Beat Creating In Place Virtual Screening Party & Fundraiser
WHEN: 5:00 p.m., Tuesday, May 18
WHERE: RSVP here: https://youthbeat.org/events, you will receive a link in return.
About the Oakland Unified School District
In California’s most diverse city, Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) is dedicated to creating a learning environment where “Every Student Thrives!” More than half of our students speak a non-English language at home. And each of our 81 schools is staffed with talented individuals uniting around a common set of values: Students First, Equity, Excellence, Integrity, Cultural Responsiveness and Joy. We are committed to preparing all students for college, career and community success.
To learn more about OUSD’s Full Service Community District focused on academic achievement while serving the whole child in safe schools, please visit OUSD.org and follow us @OUSDnews.
Post based on press release from OUSD to Zennie62Media, Inc.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Amtrak San Joaquin #716 train at Oakland Jack London Square Oakland California 4K September 17, 2021
- Can Homeowners In The U.S. Afford Climate Change? September 17, 2021
- Massive Flash Floods in Washington DC 9/16/2021 September 17, 2021
- Live View of Inspiration4 Dragon Tracker | Cupola View September 17, 2021
- FBI, Bay Area Law Enforcement Take Down Leaders of Infamous Crime Organization September 17, 2021
- Cadillac Sedan Deville on 22″ Gold Zeniths & Vogues from Oakland, Ca EP131 September 17, 2021
- A’s vs. Royals Game Highlights (9/16/21) | MLB Highlights September 17, 2021
- Large Scale Electrical System Installation: Oakland International Airport September 17, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Will Clelin Ferrell Get To Start In Week Two Vs The Steelers ? By Eric Pangilinan September 16, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders: Gus Bradley – Greg Olson Discuss Injuries and Steelers By Joseph Armendariz September 16, 2021
- Amy Trask CBS | Amy Trask Interview – Fmr Oakland Now Las Vegas Raiders On Zennie62 YouTube Live September 16, 2021
- Amy Trask, Former Raiders CEO, CBS Sports Analyst, Interview On Zennie62 Live September 16, 2021
- The Oakland Roots Defeat Tacoma Defiance 3-1 September 16, 2021
- Oakland Schools News: OUSD Celebrates Latino Heritage Month September 16, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Ice Cube & Too Short At Allegiant Stadium Halftime Show For MNF Ravens At Raiders September 16, 2021
- Here’s How to Increase Your EIDL Funding September 16, 2021
- Gabby Petito Case: Family of Missing YouTuber Claims Fiancé Is ‘Refusing’ to Help Find Her September 16, 2021
- Yom Kippur 2021 – Jordan Matthew Ward Vlog September 16, 2021
- New York Jews Prepare For Yom Kippur September 16, 2021
- The Holiest Day in Israel – Yom Kippur September 16, 2021
- Pathways to Entrepreneurship: A Fireside Chat with Jennifer Lopez and SBA Administrator Isabel Guzman September 16, 2021
- National Small Week Virtual Summit: Daymond John Of Shark Tank On ABC September 16, 2021
- National Small Business Week: Tarik Brooks of Combs Enterprises September 16, 2021
- SBA National Small Business Week: Mayors Supporting Latino-Owned Small Businesses September 16, 2021
- Gabby Petito And Brian Laundrie Last Video – VAN LIFE | Beginning Our Van Life Journey September 16, 2021