Oakland — Oakland’s Vice-Mayor Rebecca Kaplan is introducing a resolution designed to add support to the Building and Planning department at the March 2, 2021, City Council meeting.
Kaplan’s proposed resolution would promote the development and reopening of businesses, thus creating revenue and a healthier economic recovery for the City of Oakland. The City Council has received reports from the administration expressing concerns about the drop in tax revenue. In addition, community members and stakeholders have expressed difficulty about the slowness of accessing the city’s permit process, which is impeding the building of housing and the opening of businesses. Vice Mayor Kaplan has learned that many permit positions were mistakenly frozen — and the lack of adequate staffing in Development Services funded positions is impeding responsiveness to the public and impeding Oakland’s economic recovery.
In 2006, the Council created the Development Services Fund (Fund 2415) to account for the revenues and expenditures related to development and enforcement activities in the City of Oakland. Fund 2415 has a large unexpended fund balance. Kaplan seeks to utilize these funds for the purpose they were created – – to support the City’s development activities, by unfreezing the vacant positions and allowing for a faster permitting process.
Kaplan’s Resolution would provide a full time position in the Human Resources Department. This new Analyst would be responsible for expeditiously hiring the positions funded by Fund 2415, which include positions in the Planning and Building, and Transportation Departments, which are essential to perform the City’s development activities. These vacancies have contributed to the economic hardship to the public through reduction in jobs and business opportunities, as well as reduced tax revenue that is needed to fund vital public services. Therefore, Vice Mayor Kaplan is calling on her colleagues to aid the City of Oakland’s recovery by unfreezing these revenue generating positions to allow the community to continue to build and reopen.
Memo and Resolution: https://oakland.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=4774106&GUID=BCB40A62-ACE8-4352-A3CF-0B975D688551
March 2, 2021, Oakland City Council Meeting Information:
Webinar ID: 846 5468 3164
2/20 Vice Mayor Kaplan’s Tweet Regarding action to fix permit backlog and frozen positions: https://twitter.com/kaplan4oakland/status/1363203031622316033?s=21
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- 2021 NFL Mock Draft V2 Livestream By Zennie62Media For April 17th
- Former Oakland Mayor Elihu Harris On ESPN 30-For-30 Raiders Al Davis vs. NFL – The Aftermath
- Elihu Harris Former Oakland Mayor On ESPN 30-For-30, “Al Davis Versus The NFL”
- Walk Down MacArthur Blvd To Grand Av In Oakland Adams Point Made Into Instagram Art
- Oakland Marriott City Center Has Striking Mural Of Young Black Girl At Play That’s Amazing
- Detroit Tigers vs Oakland Athletics Highlights April 16, 2021 – MLB Highlights | MLB Season 2021
- Peaceful Demonstration Over Deadly Police Shootings Turns Violent in Oakland
- Demonstration in Oakland to Protest Police Shootings Turns Violent
- Kevin Samuels And Kevin Durant Use White-Owned Social Media To Say Bad Things About Black Folks
- Oakland NAACP Response to District Curriculum Adoption Recommendation.
- COVID-19 Vaccine At Dodger Stadium – By Joseph Armendariz
- The Alley Cat Bar In Oakland At 3325 Grand Avenue To Reopen Thursday April 22 2021
- Erica Chapman Makeup Artist In Deshaun Watson Lawsuit Poses Prostitute Problem For Tony Buzbee
- Marshawn Lynch: Sitting Down With Dr. Anthony Fauci
- OUSD Oakland Girls To Be In Soroptimist International’s “Steps to Success” On Saturday
- Derrick Soo Says WhereDoWeGoOakland.tv, A Remarkable Oakland Housing Effort, Is Active
- Sam Wilson Becomes Captain America In The Epic Falcon And The Winter Soldier Episode 5
- President Joe Biden Statement On The Mass Shooting In Indianapolis, Indiana
- TUTORIAL: Register for Oakland’s Online Permit Portal!
- OSA IM Piano Recital-A Trip to Europe: Baroque to Contemporary