Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) Informs Families of Possible Challenges They Could Face Because of Public Charge Rule Change Proposed by Trump Administration
Oakland (press release from OUSD) – At a time when immigrants are increasingly feeling threatened by the U.S. government, now comes word that the Trump administration wants to make becoming permanent residents or citizens harder for even more people. OUSD families and people across Oakland and the Bay Area need to know the details of this plan, that there is time for them to work to stop the change, and what to know if the rule change takes effect.
For immigrants pursuing citizenship or permanent resident status in the United States, the Public Charge rule change – which was publicly proposed by the Trump administration in October – could potentially bar recipients of public benefits from obtaining legal status. It would prevent a much wider range of immigrants who receive public benefits from obtaining a green card. While a version of public charge currently exists, the proposed rule change would greatly expand the definition of “public charge” to include non-citizens who participate in applicable health, nutrition or housing support programs OR who fall below the low income level (in addition to other factors).
It is critical that families know that if they have concerns about receiving benefits, before disenrolling they should speak with a lawyer. This proposed rule change would NOT penalize the parents of children who receive any type of benefits, therefore would not include school-based benefits (e.g., the lunch program at OUSD schools). Also, it is unrelated to deportation.
During the public comment period which ends on December 10, 2018, members of the public are encouraged to submit a unique comment which the government must then respond to. If a final rule is approved, there will be an additional waiting period before it is implemented to allow families to seek legal advice before making a decision to disenroll from benefits.
Key Points For Immigrant Families
– Nothing has changed. This rule is only at the proposal stage. It could still be prevented and may be delayed significantly if it does take effect.
– School-based benefits are not impacted in the proposed rule change. As such, the nutrition services (lunch program), school-based services and early childhood programs that serve immigrant students would not count against families.
– Certain groups such as refugees, asylees and students who receive DACA would be exempt if this rule is finalized.
OUSD stands in solidarity with all of our students and will do everything possible to support families regardless of the decision. For families needing more information, the National Immigration Law Center has released these multilingual talking points and Analysis/FAQs.
Note: please read the Zennie62Media / Oakland News Now series on Salesforce Transit Center developer Maria Ayerdi Kaplan.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- CHP Chase Ends With AC Transit Bus Crash Into Oakland Home October 16, 2021
- AC Transit plows into Oakland home after being hit by stolen car: CHP October 16, 2021
- Dusty Baker Compares Jose Altuve & Carlos Correa to Tom Brady & Rob Gronkowski After ALCS Game 1 Win October 16, 2021
- Pompsie Las Vegas Vlogger Gives Tour Of His $2000 Las Vegas Apartment October 16, 2021
- Mountain View Castro Street Closure Seen as Pandemic Perk October 16, 2021
- Smoke Effect Template | CSK Mass Status Black Screen Template | Luna Tech Tamil | New Templates October 16, 2021
- Red Sox vs Astros Game 1 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 16, 2021
- 41 Points in 30 Minutes?! Stephen Curry Got Buckets on Warriors Ground | Oct. 15, 2021 October 16, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders: Will Greg Olson Play Calling Produce 1st Quarter Results? By Joseph Armendariz October 16, 2021
- Stephen Curry with an AMAZING Dribbling Move! | Oct. 15, 2021 vs. Trail Blazers October 15, 2021
- The Coverups @ The Uptown in Oakland, CA 9/30/18 “Ziggy Stardust” October 15, 2021
- The Coverups @ The Uptown in Oakland, CA 9/30/18 “Pretty In Pink” October 15, 2021
- The Coverups @ The Uptown in Oakland, CA 9/30/18 “American Girl” October 15, 2021
- 49ers Friday: Bye Week Special October 15, 2021
- Steph & Curtis’s Pregame Routine is BACK! | #shorts October 15, 2021
- Peralta College Board Unanimously Extends Chancellor Jannett Jackson’s Contract October 15, 2021
- Witness Claims Oakland Police Searching for Wrong Car in Road Rage Homicide October 15, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Will Greg Olson Be A Better Play Caller Then Jon Gruden? By Eric Pangilinan October 15, 2021
- Fentanyl Alert!!! Looks Like Chewing Gum by Derrick Soo October 15, 2021
- Video of suspect vehicle in Oakland road rage shooting that left teen dead October 15, 2021
- 245 Perkins St 34 Oakland, CA 94610 October 15, 2021
- Rotary Club of Oakland Civic Thursday Meeting, October 7th 2021. October 15, 2021
- Why I’m leaving Oakland, California. Pt.1 October 15, 2021
- Downs Oakland Sunday Service 10.17.21 October 15, 2021
- 5800 Nottingham Dr Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale October 15, 2021
- Raiders Rumors Mailbag: Hire Jack Del Rio As Next Raiders Head Coach? Start Jimmy Morrissey? October 15, 2021
- San Francisco 49ers Rumors: Xavien Howard Trade? Nick Bosa, Deebo Samuel Contract Extension| Mailbag October 15, 2021
- Latest San Francisco 49ers News With Matt Maiocco October 15, 2021
- Dodgers vs. Giants NLDS Game 5 Highlights (10/14/21) | MLB Highlights October 15, 2021
- NFL News: Leaked Emails Link NFL Attorney Jeff Pash To Bruce Allen Cover Up By Joseph Armendariz October 15, 2021