Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) Informs Families of Possible Challenges They Could Face Because of Public Charge Rule Change Proposed by Trump Administration
Oakland (press release from OUSD) – At a time when immigrants are increasingly feeling threatened by the U.S. government, now comes word that the Trump administration wants to make becoming permanent residents or citizens harder for even more people. OUSD families and people across Oakland and the Bay Area need to know the details of this plan, that there is time for them to work to stop the change, and what to know if the rule change takes effect.
For immigrants pursuing citizenship or permanent resident status in the United States, the Public Charge rule change – which was publicly proposed by the Trump administration in October – could potentially bar recipients of public benefits from obtaining legal status. It would prevent a much wider range of immigrants who receive public benefits from obtaining a green card. While a version of public charge currently exists, the proposed rule change would greatly expand the definition of “public charge” to include non-citizens who participate in applicable health, nutrition or housing support programs OR who fall below the low income level (in addition to other factors).
It is critical that families know that if they have concerns about receiving benefits, before disenrolling they should speak with a lawyer. This proposed rule change would NOT penalize the parents of children who receive any type of benefits, therefore would not include school-based benefits (e.g., the lunch program at OUSD schools). Also, it is unrelated to deportation.
During the public comment period which ends on December 10, 2018, members of the public are encouraged to submit a unique comment which the government must then respond to. If a final rule is approved, there will be an additional waiting period before it is implemented to allow families to seek legal advice before making a decision to disenroll from benefits.
Key Points For Immigrant Families
– Nothing has changed. This rule is only at the proposal stage. It could still be prevented and may be delayed significantly if it does take effect.
– School-based benefits are not impacted in the proposed rule change. As such, the nutrition services (lunch program), school-based services and early childhood programs that serve immigrant students would not count against families.
– Certain groups such as refugees, asylees and students who receive DACA would be exempt if this rule is finalized.
OUSD stands in solidarity with all of our students and will do everything possible to support families regardless of the decision. For families needing more information, the National Immigration Law Center has released these multilingual talking points and Analysis/FAQs.
Note: please read the Zennie62Media / Oakland News Now series on Salesforce Transit Center developer Maria Ayerdi Kaplan.
Oakland News Now Related Posts
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Rotary Club Of Oakland Features Gary Meyer On The Oscars May 06 2021
- Resurrection Oakland Church | May 9, 2021. 10am
- Sharing The Beauty Of Lake Merritt, Oakland, California – Mothers Day 2021
- Mothers Day Drum Circle – Lake Merritt, Oakland, California, 2021
- Bike Oakland & Alameda: Alameda, Bay Farm, and 66th Ave
- Port of Oakland Trade Boom: Wan Hai Lines Connects U.S. And Asia In 2021
- Oakland City Budget Forgets Cybersecurity As USA’s Largest Pipeline Gets Ransomwared
- Oakland City Council President Nikki Fortunato Bas On Mayor Schaaf’s Budget
- Oakland Adams Point Apartment Target Of Would Be Robber Caught-On-Camera Mother’s Day Evening
- Elon Musk Wario – Wario Is Elon Musk On SNL And Vinny Lospinuso Shares His Vlog Thoughts
- Star Trek’s Lt. Uhura Nichelle Nichols On Meeting President Obama
- Happy Mother’s Day, Today, Everyone! Enjoy Your Mom!
- Grand Lake Theater Marquee In Oakland Says Wait Almost Over, Reopens Late May 2021
- Fata Fut News: Today Top Trending News | 11 AM | 9 May 2021 – TV9
- New Trending Instagram Reels Videos | All Famous TikTok Star | Today Viral Insta Reels | Insta Reels
- Mount Zion Oakland Mother’s Day Church Service 2021
- Home For Sale At 9124 Lawlor St Oakland, CA
- Medina Sprit Had Steroids, May Lose Kentucky Derby Win, Trainer Bob Baffert Banned
- Jarrett Stidham Vs Mac Jones For Backup To Cam Newton In Auburn Vs Alabama Clash Of Patriots QBs
- Elon Musk Talks About Dogecoin On SNL Weekend Update But Will Market Respond?