The Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) has a $23 Million budget deficit and has posted $60 million in new expenses.
That’s the primary information based on documents sent to me by Mike Hutchinson. Mike’s best described as an “Oakland Education activist,” founder of Oakland Public Education Network, and one who recently ran for the Oakland School Board, District Five. He lost to the incumbent, Roseann Torres, but never stopped caring about the Oakland Unified School District.
In an effort to sound an alarm, Mike Hutchinson sent over two emails that contained some rather disturbing information related to the OUSD Budget. Here’s the information, in Mike’s words starting with his first email, 22 hours ago:
Oakland’s school board continues to mismanage the district’s finances and we are less than 5 months away (March 1) from again being taken over by the state. At Wednesday’s board meeting they will announce revisions to this year’s budget. In the four months since the budget was approved expenditures have shot up by $60M. The 2018-19 budget that when approved projected a $22M surplus, is now projected to have a $23M deficit. This is unacceptable, and honestly unbelievable. We need to pack the house for the school board meeting at 5:30pm on Wednesday and demand answers to some serious questions. Where’s the $$$?
Then, he sent this email a few hours ago:
Yesterday the agenda for Wednesday’s school board meeting was released and it contains an item “budget revision”. The presentation for revision shows that this year’s budgeted expenditures has risen by $60M and that we have gone from a projected $22M surplus to a $23M deficit. Last night I questioned school board president Aimee Eng directly about this information and she said that from me was the first time that she was hearing about it. I also sent an email to all of the school board members asking them about these new budget numbers. Today, not only did I not hear back from any school board member, but the link to the budget revision presentation was taken down. All I have left is these two screen shots I took.
What is going on? Was the link disabled because we started to ask questions? Why have expenditures risen by $60M? Is this to put us back under state control under AB 1840? Where’s the information and where’s the $$$?
Please come to Wednesday’s school board meeting. Both the county and the state will also be at the meeting to talk about the budget. We need to pack the house and demand that our questions are answered and that our voices are heard. The important items are at the start of the meeting at 5:30pm (at The Great Room, LaEscuelita Education Center, 1050 2nd Avenue, Oakland, CA).
And Mike included two images, an overview budget and a detailed budget. Both are here:
LET ZENNIE62MEDIA TELL YOUR STORY
Let ZENNIE62MEDIA Tell The Story About You The Media Refuses To Produce. Visit our site and hire Zennie62Media.
Oakland News Now Related Posts
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Biden Press Secretary Jen Psaki Statement On Restart of Colonial Pipeline And Continued Federal Government Efforts To Mitigate Impacts
- The Oakland A’s Never “Rooted In Oakland” – Las Vegas Mayor Says Relocation Talk 2 Years Old
- Oakland Athletics In RelocationTalks for 2 Years According To LV Review Journal – by Richard Haick
- City Of Oakland Eviction Moratorium Not Impacted By Federal Ruling
- RaceTrac Fayetteville Ga Gas Pumps Out Of Gas Except Diesel Due To Cyberattack
- 2021 NFL Schedule Revealed On NFL Network’s Schedule Release 21 Show
- NFL Gives Nine Social Justice Programs $2.5 Million
- SF Bay Area Bicycle Is Back With Bike Oakland: Bancroft And International
- Rockets Kill 2 Israelis, Airstrikes Kill 28 In Gaza | MSNBC
- Crocker Highlands Mid-Century, Oakland, CA, 94610
- Violent Israeli-Palestinian Unrest Kills At Least 33 | The 11th Hour
- MLB tells Oakland A’s to start exploring other cities
- Team Coverage: Major League Baseball Greenlights Oakland A’s To Consider Relocating
- Talk’s Las Vegas Athletics For Oakland A’s Relocation But Portland Has 50K Signatures For MLB Ballpark
- Rep Liz Chaney Speech On House Floor On Eve Of Vote To Oust Her From House GOP Leadership
- Las Vegas Raiders New Number Changers For 2021 Season. By Joseph Armendariz
- May 11, 2021
- Livestream: Blame To Go Around In Oakland A’s Relocation Threat? Start With Oakland Athletics
- MLB Ask Oakland Athletics To Threaten Relocation – Oakland City Council’s Progressive Wing Steps In
- Live: Dr. Fauci Testifies At Senate Hearing On Covid-19 Response | NBC News