Oakland, CA – Addressing how we deal with trash, illegal dumping and blight in Oakland — so that we all live in a clean and healthy city — is one of the fundamental tasks of local government. As can be seen by anyone who tours Oakland, the current, complaint-based efforts are failing, and particular neighborhoods are especially hard-hit.
More personnel and enforcement are required. However, the current complaint-based system significantly contributes to the accumulation of garbage on our streets and must be replaced by a pro-active system to effectively utilize our resources.
I and others have been asking for a change in Oakland’s strategy of dealing with the growing problems of trash and illegal dumping to switch away from the current complaint-based system, and instead to focus primarily on geographic zone-based assignments to clean up everything in that zone, without waiting for members of the public to call it in.
As the city administration has been documenting, the trash problem has been getting worse and worse, and it is long past time to admit that the complaint-based strategy isn’t working. That is why, during last year’s budget debate, I proposed not only additional crews to pick up illegally dumped garbage, but also proposed that the crews be assigned to areas of need, to pro-actively clean up, without waiting for complaints. And I have included it again in my list of budget requests for Oakland’s next budget hearing.
Recently, a small area within a subset of one council district has received a “pilot” program of pro-active cleanup, which has demonstrated that it is a better and more effective system. Some in management have been surprised to learn that there is so much trash out there that wasn’t on the complaint list. This should not surprise us, as this same problem has been found for all complaint-based systems.
For example, some in Oakland Police Department management for years had assumed that 911 calls about shootings represented a reasonable estimate of where and how many shootings were taking place. However, when gunshot detection technology was used, it was shown that there were many shootings taking place for which there were no 911 calls, and some of the areas with the most shootings were calling them in the least. A pro-active system, based on facts and data, is more effective and more equitable than a system based on complaints.
And so, instead of encouraging a culture of complaining, and leaving trash on the street, we should promote a system of accountability that assigns crews to zones, including targeting known hot-spots, for both enforcement and cleanup. Litter officer’s assignments should include enforcement and ticketing, and personnel should be assigned to times of day and locations to maximize their ability to deter illegal dumping and to catch the people who trash our community, and also to clean heavily-impacted areas. This will help to put a stop to the cycle of illegal dumping, trash and blight.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- NBA Picks and Predictions | Daily NBA Betting Preview | NBA Predictive Playbook for Oct 28 October 28, 2021
- Light Street Capital’s Kacher likes the ‘Netflix of wines’ October 28, 2021
- President Biden announces $1.75T spending plan, here’s what’s in it October 28, 2021
- Yum! Brands CEO: The whole world is opening up to KFC October 28, 2021
- Apex Legends: Escape – Everything To Know About Season 11 October 28, 2021
- 2023 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 | 670 HP | 5.5-liter DOHC V8 | Starting Price $90,000 USD October 28, 2021
- How could the congressional spending framework impact big tech? October 28, 2021
- Turk on People Telling Vlad He Shouldn’t Be Allowed to Ask Certain Questions (Part 18) October 28, 2021
- Here’s what to expect from Amazon, Apple earnings October 28, 2021
- DOJ Settles Lawsuits With Families Of Charleston Church Shooting October 28, 2021
- Live Sports Betting Picks 10/28/21 – NFL, NBA, CFB, NHL Picks – Betting Advice October 28, 2021
- Nick Sirianni: Consistency is Key Heading into Week 8 vs. Lions | Eagles One-On-one October 28, 2021
- J.C. Jackson: Keenan Allen is ‘one of the top receivers in the game’ | Press Conference October 28, 2021
- Biden on spending bill framework: Nobody got everything they wanted October 28, 2021
- Biden unveils details of $1.75 trillion spending plan October 28, 2021
- Sean Desai: ‘There’s some things we can build on’ | Chicago Bears October 28, 2021
- Affirm CEO on partnership with American Airlines that allows customers to buy now and pay later October 28, 2021
- Behind the Scenes at Stephen Curry’s FIRST NBA Game | #shorts October 28, 2021
- 1 pound ‘miracle’ baby inspires mom to become a NICU nurse l GMA October 28, 2021
- Muni changes services due to vaccine policy worker shortage October 28, 2021
- What to expect from Apple’s Q3 earnings report after the bell October 28, 2021
- Is Kyler Murray the MVP? October 28, 2021
- Eagles Prepare for Week 8 vs. Lions | Eagles Live Practice October 28, 2021
- Winners & Losers October 28, 2021
- Chris Tabor: Media Availability | Chicago Bears October 28, 2021
- Intel CEO on company’s transformation strategy October 28, 2021
- Thursday Free Betting Picks & TNF Predictions – 10/28/21 l Picks & Parlays October 28, 2021
- Oakland Inspector General Public Forum October 28, 2021
- Chiefs Trade Rumors On Melvin Ingram, Trey Flowers, Marvin Jones & Mike Hughes | NFL Trade Deadline October 28, 2021
- Bill Lazor: ‘We’ve got to be better in every aspect of the passing game’ | Chicago Bears October 28, 2021
- Biden Announces New Social Spending Framework As ‘Game Changer For Families’ October 28, 2021
- Benzino on His Daughter Coi Leray Being a Bigger Rapper than Him (Part 16) October 28, 2021
- Is Derrick Henry One of the BEST RBs Ever? October 28, 2021
- Fabio Silva and Ruben Neves CAN’T BELIEVE their FIFA Ratings | Uncut October 28, 2021
- Biden delivers remarks before he travels to Italy for the G20 leader summit October 28, 2021
- Biden Announces New Framework For Social Spending Plan: ‘No One Got Everything They Wanted’ October 28, 2021
- PFT Draft: Top Week 8 matchups around the NFL | Pro Football Talk | NBC Sports October 28, 2021
- CDC: Latinos Have The Highest Rate Of Depression October 28, 2021
- Sherry’s Forecast: Thursday, October 28 October 28, 2021
- COP26: Indian Teen Activist Joins Youth in Glasgow Climate Summit October 28, 2021