Oakland,CA – Oakland says move over National Football League, here comes the Indoor Football League.
Oakland’s losing the Raiders to Las Vegas, but that doesn’t mean it’s not going to see pro football. According to Scott McKibben, the Executive Director of the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Joint Powers Authority, Roy Choi, owner of the Indoor Football League’s Cedar Rapids River Kings, plans to bring an expansion Indoor Football League franchise to Oakland.
In fact, McKibben, fresh from successfully negotiating a giant rent increase out of the Oakland Raiders, just told me he’s hosting Roy Choi at next Wednesday’s Golden State Warriors NBA Playoffs Game.
But who’s Roy Choi?
Roy Choi is listed as Co-Founder and General Partner of Los Angeles-based entertainment and gaming investment firm Knighted Ventures, as well as CEO of KCM Agency, a multi-cultural advertising and marketing firm. Last year, Choi became owner of the Cedar Rapids Titans, now called the Cedar Rapids River Kings Indoor Football League franchise.
On June 19th, 2018, Mr. Choi was named buyer of the seven-year old Indoor Football League (IFL) franchise in Cedar Rapids. “The new ownership group is committed to keeping the franchise in Cedar Rapids and has signed a league affiliation agreement with the Indoor Football League for the 2019 season,” reported the press release.
“The league is pleased to welcome Roy and his ownership group to the IFL family,” stated IFL Commissioner Michael Allshouse. “We are excited to open the book to a new chapter in the great history of the Titans franchise.” The press release reported that “Choi and his ownership group intend to hire a complete office staff and announce organizational plans, including season ticket information for the 2019 season.”
Later last year, Choi re-branded the team as the Cedar Rapids River Kings after a “name-the-team” contest, with the new name announced August 17, 2018.
What Will Roy Choi Call The Oakland Indoor Football League Franchise?
The question is, what will Roy Choi call the Oakland Indoor Football League franchise that will play at Oracle Arena? The real question is, what should Roy Choi call the Oakland Indoor Football League franchise? Let’s start that talk now.
I am going for a name that’s rich in Oakland’s sports history: The Oakland Invaders.
As a note, I’ve reached out to Mr. Choi, and will inform you when after I’ve connected with him.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Kev Choice Tribute to Michael Morgan October 20, 2021
- Best of Week 7 of the 2021 College Football Season – Part 1 ᴴᴰ October 20, 2021
- Astros vs. Red Sox ALCS Game 4 Highlights (10/19/21) | MLB Highlights October 20, 2021
- Skateboarders Making Pilgrimage to San Francisco’s Pier 7, Following Vandalism October 20, 2021
- NEW NBA odds released, plus MLB playoffs and NFL WEEK 6 Recap October 20, 2021
- 30 Years Later: East Bay Remembers Oakland Hills Fire October 20, 2021
- San Francisco In N Out temporarily closed over city’s proof of COVID 19 October 20, 2021
- Public Enemy – 30th Anniversary Oaktown’s On Fire! – Kaiser Conv. Center – Oakland, CA – 10/20/1991 October 20, 2021
- Anthrax – 30th Anniversary Oaktown’s On Fire! – Kaiser Convention Center – Oakland, CA – 10/20/1991 October 20, 2021
- Primus – 30th Anniversary Oaktown’s On Fire! – Kaiser Convention Center – Oakland, CA – 10/20/1991 October 20, 2021
- Lakers Postgame: Anthony Davis (10/19/21) October 20, 2021
- Mark Zuckerberg’s Post On Facebook’s Impact On America Forgets U.S. Diversity Makes It Ripe Target For Hate Content October 20, 2021
- Lakers Postgame: LeBron James (10/19/21) October 20, 2021
- Lakers Postgame: Frank Vogel (10/19/21) October 20, 2021
- Oakland PD Hates On Doja October 20, 2021
- Astros vs Red Sox Game 4 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 20, 2021
- HIGHLIGHTS | Los Angeles Lakers vs Golden State Warriors October 20, 2021
- HIGHLIGHTS | LeBron James (34 pts, 5 ast, 11 reb) vs Golden State Warriors October 20, 2021
- HIGHLIGHTS | Anthony Davis (33 pts, 11 reb) vs Golden State Warriors October 20, 2021
- Stephen Curry Tallies a Triple-Double in Season Opener! | Oct. 19, 2021 October 20, 2021
- Oakland City Council Unanimously Approves Vice Mayor Rebecca Kaplan’s Proposal To Support Litigation Against Ghost Guns October 20, 2021
- Henry Ruggs III Mic’d Up vs. Broncos: ‘All Bama on the Board!’ | Week 6 | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL October 20, 2021
- Boxing Sandor Martin Stuns Boxing World By Defeating Former Champ Mikey Garcia By Eric Pangilinan October 19, 2021
- Meet Jon Bean, Oakland Rising’s Deputy Director Taks With Liz Suk, Executive Director October 19, 2021
- Philadelphia Eagles vs Las Vegas Raiders | Week 7 NFL Game Preview October 19, 2021
- Oakland hills firestorm marks 30th anniversary October 19, 2021
- 30 years later: Remembering the Oakland Hills Fire October 19, 2021
- Los Bukis ULTIMO CONCIERTO 2021 Oakland CA I Mi Mayor Necesidad October 19, 2021
- In-N-Out Burger in Battle With San Francisco Health Officials Over COVID Rules October 19, 2021
- Braves vs Dodgers Game 3 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 19, 2021