In the event of a strike, city prepares to support Oakland families
“In the event of a teacher’s strike, the City is prepared to offer resources to support our families.
“I urge both parties to continue to work toward an agreement that will keep our students and teachers in the classroom. I stand with Oakland teachers who deserve a decent living wage and working conditions, and I recognize that to ensure a sustainable education system where everyone thrives, we all need a fiscally stable District that is locally controlled.
“Our goals are shared. We are all committed to building an excellent public education system in an atmosphere of respect and admiration.”
In the event of an Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) teachers’ strike, which could take place as early as next week, the City of Oakland is prepared to provide safe spaces at 15 recreation centers and all public libraries to support Oakland families affected by the strike.
15 Recreation Centers Open
In partnership with the Oakland Education Association (OEA), Oakland Parks,
Recreation & Youth Development (OPRYD) will open 15 recreation centers between 8 am and 3 pm, Monday through Friday, as early as Wednesday, February 20:
– Arroyo Viejo
– Carmen Flores
– Ira Jenkins
– FM Smith
– Golden Gate
– San Antonio
– Redwood Heights
From 8 am to 3 pm OEA, in partnership with other community groups, will provide volunteers to facilitate the day and provide food for youth.
For more details, or if you would like to volunteer, contact the Oakland Education Association at (510) 763-4020 or visit this link.
At 3 pm each day, OPRYD will resume normal recreation center operations, programming, and services. OPRYD and OEA will jointly monitor the situation; OPRYD will remain flexible and provide additional services and/or facilities if deemed necessary.
Public Libraries Open
All public library branches, the African American Museum and Library at Oakland
(AAMLO), the Oakland Tool Lending Library, and Second Start program will be open regular business hours in the event of a strike.
Children seven (7) and younger must be fully supervised by a parent or responsible caregiver.
Library meeting rooms can be booked in the event of a strike.
Some Solidarity Schools have already reserved space at OPL venues. Parents should know that these are not run by the library, and that library staff cannot supervise children.
Through our collaboration, OPRYD and OPL ho
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- John King reveals multiple sclerosis diagnosis l GMA October 21, 2021
- Celine Dion puts return to Vegas residency on hold, citing health issues l GMA October 21, 2021
- Democrats close in on compromise for Biden’s economic package October 21, 2021
- Gas explosion At Restaurant Kills At Least Three In Northeast China October 21, 2021
- #14 Coastal Carolina vs Appalachian State Football Game Highlights 10 20 2021 October 21, 2021
- Stephen Curry SLIPS In Front Of Floyd Mayweather 😳 October 21, 2021
- Charles Barkley Gives It A Go On “Who He Play For?” feat. Drew Carey | NBA on TNT October 21, 2021
- Jeh Johnson: You Cannot Have 200,000 People A Month Crossing The Border October 21, 2021
- Mike Leach asked about LSU coaching vacancy and Ed Orgeron, gives absolute awesome answer October 21, 2021
- Second storm system showering into Bay Area October 21, 2021
- NBA Picks and Predictions | Daily NBA Betting Preview | Tip-Off Show for Oct 21 October 21, 2021
- 2020 Honda Civic Sport Sale Price Lease Bay Area Oakland Alameda Hayward Fremont San Leandro CA R200 October 21, 2021
- Latest Weather Forecast October 21, 2021
- LIVE: Latest news, breaking stories and analysis on October 21 | CBSN October 21, 2021
- Jim Jordan can’t seem to keep January 6 story straight. Brianna Keilar rolls the tape October 21, 2021
- Lake Merritt in Oakland, California is one of the most unique urban spaces in the United States. October 21, 2021
- This Morning’s Top Headlines – October 21 | Morning News NOW October 21, 2021
- These GOP candidates have a strategist afraid for the party’s future October 21, 2021
- U.S. Surgeon General On WH Plan To Vaccinate Children Ages Five To 11 October 21, 2021
- Bay Area braces for next round of heavy rain October 21, 2021
- NFL Week 7 Best Bets: Player Props, Spreads, O/U Picks + a Teaser October 21, 2021
- ‘I’ve Been Strangled’: Paris Hilton On Abuse At Group Youth Facility October 21, 2021
- BREAKING: Ali Harbi Ali charged with murder of MP Sir David Amess October 21, 2021
- Mavericks vs. Hawks 10/21/21 FREE NBA Picks and Predictions on NBA Betting Tips for Today October 21, 2021
- Watch Rachel Maddow Highlights: October 20th | MSNBC October 21, 2021
- News Anchors John King, Neil Cavuto Speak Out In Support Of Covid Vaccine October 21, 2021
- FIRST TAKE | Dan Orlovsky BELIEVES in Jalen Hurts in Philadelphia Eagles vs Las Vegas Raiders Week 7 October 21, 2021
- U.K., New Zealand Forge Trade Deal in Latest Post-Brexit Accord October 21, 2021
- Bucks vs. Heat 10/21/21 FREE NBA Picks and Predictions on NBA Betting Tips for Today October 21, 2021
- Senators Push For Charges Against Brazil President In Handling Of Covid October 21, 2021
- 10/21/21 FREE NBA Picks and Predictions on NBA Betting Tips for Today October 21, 2021
- Watch The Beat Highlights: October 18th October 21, 2021