In the event of a strike, city prepares to support Oakland families
“In the event of a teacher’s strike, the City is prepared to offer resources to support our families.
“I urge both parties to continue to work toward an agreement that will keep our students and teachers in the classroom. I stand with Oakland teachers who deserve a decent living wage and working conditions, and I recognize that to ensure a sustainable education system where everyone thrives, we all need a fiscally stable District that is locally controlled.
“Our goals are shared. We are all committed to building an excellent public education system in an atmosphere of respect and admiration.”
In the event of an Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) teachers’ strike, which could take place as early as next week, the City of Oakland is prepared to provide safe spaces at 15 recreation centers and all public libraries to support Oakland families affected by the strike.
15 Recreation Centers Open
In partnership with the Oakland Education Association (OEA), Oakland Parks,
Recreation & Youth Development (OPRYD) will open 15 recreation centers between 8 am and 3 pm, Monday through Friday, as early as Wednesday, February 20:
– Arroyo Viejo
– Carmen Flores
– Ira Jenkins
– FM Smith
– Golden Gate
– San Antonio
– Redwood Heights
From 8 am to 3 pm OEA, in partnership with other community groups, will provide volunteers to facilitate the day and provide food for youth.
For more details, or if you would like to volunteer, contact the Oakland Education Association at (510) 763-4020 or visit this link.
At 3 pm each day, OPRYD will resume normal recreation center operations, programming, and services. OPRYD and OEA will jointly monitor the situation; OPRYD will remain flexible and provide additional services and/or facilities if deemed necessary.
Public Libraries Open
All public library branches, the African American Museum and Library at Oakland
(AAMLO), the Oakland Tool Lending Library, and Second Start program will be open regular business hours in the event of a strike.
Children seven (7) and younger must be fully supervised by a parent or responsible caregiver.
Library meeting rooms can be booked in the event of a strike.
Some Solidarity Schools have already reserved space at OPL venues. Parents should know that these are not run by the library, and that library staff cannot supervise children.
Through our collaboration, OPRYD and OPL ho
Oakland News Now Related Posts
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Downsizing Oakland Howard Terminal Ballpark Without Knowing About It Is Brainless
- Filipino Independence Day Saturday June 12th 2021: Eric Pangilinan On Filipino History For Zennie62
- French President Macron Says America Is Back During G7 Summit At Carbis Bay
- Oakland A’s Kaval, City Council’s Gallo, Alameda County’s Miley Muddle Howard Terminal Ballpark On KGO-TV
- 🔴OMG Vegas LIVE… You Won’t Believe it. Vegas is NORMAL AGAIN!!🚨
- 12-Year-Old Shot Confronting Catalytic Converter Thieves Outside Oakland Home
- Howard Terminal Ballpark: A Gift To Oakland And Its People – By Kevin M. Corbett
- Another Djokovic Vs Nadal Classic At 2021 French Open Nearly Marred By Curfew, But Loop-Hole Found
- Fayetteville Georgia Weather: Thunderstorm High Winds At 3:22 PM EST Friday June 11th
- Ayodele Nzinga: City Of Oakland Announces Inaugural Poet Laureate
- Oakland Black NFL Football Group Coliseum Stadium Proposal On July 20th City Council Agenda
- Nate Miley Alameda County Supervisor Holds Statewide Illegal Dumping Conference April 21, 2021
- Oakland Coliseum A’s Game Security Worker YouTube Vlog Shows Typical Day
- Trayvon Mullen Las Vegas Raiders Safety Needs To Step Up Says Eric Pangilinan For Zennie62
- Have You Ever Watched The Mars Live Webcam On YouTube? If Not You’re Missing The Future Now
- WATCH: Mars Cam Views from NASA Rover during Red Planet Exploration #Mars2020
- Trayvon Mullen Las Vegas Raiders Safety Needs To Step Up Says Eric Pangilinan
- Major League Baseball Doesn’t Care About Cheating In Sticky-Substance Controversy – Eric Pangilinan
- Las Vegas Raiders: Could Josh Jacob’s Be A Hold Out At Mini Camp – By Joseph Armendariz
- Kevin Durant Misses Three That Would Have Put Nets Vs Bucks Game 3 Into Overtime