Two Interesting but Very Different Events Happen at OUSD High Schools on Friday, Jan. 24
Oakland (OUSD press release) – Two OUSD high schools will have interesting but very different kinds of events on Friday, January 24. Students at Dewey Academy will get the chance to catch a performance by a well-known traveling children’s choir from Africa. And an OUSD gardener and landscaper is using his own resources to help Skyline High School, which has lost many trees over the last few years.
The Amani Children’s Choir from Uganda (above) will visit Dewey Academy and put on two shows for the students to see in separate waves. Among other things, the group raises awareness of the needs of orphaned children in Africa, and their international tours provide unique training and exposure for the children. Dewey Academy students will enjoy the performances and likely gain a worldly perspective through seeing and interacting with these children that they wouldn’t otherwise have.
For much of the day at Skyline High, OUSD gardener and landscaper, Tom O’Neill (left) will be planting trees across the campus. These are Colorado Blue Spruce trees that O’Neill cultivated on his own to support Skyline. The school sits on a woodsy campus on the edge of the Reinhardt Redwood Regional Park, but in recent years, it has sustained major losses to its tree population. Because of the effects of drought, bark beetles and major storms, the school has lost some 50 trees in the past several years. Starting in the morning, O’Neill will plant 25 trees in various locations, just in time for this weekend’s rains to begin to nourish them and help repopulate the school.
Media is welcome to join the Dewey students and see the Amani Children’s Choir and to witness Tom O’Neill single-handedly battling back against drought, pests and storms to replenish Skyline High’s tree population.
WHAT: OUSD Gardener/Landscaper Plants Trees to Battle Drought, Pests and Storm Damage
WHEN: All Day Beginning at 10:00 a.m., Friday, January 24
WHERE: Skyline High School, 12250 Skyline Blvd
WHAT: Amani Children’s Choir Performance for OUSD High School Students
WHEN: 10:30 a.m., Friday, January 24
WHERE: Dewey Academy, 1111 Second Avenue
Related Posts (YARPP)
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Raiders Derek Carr Supports Teammate Carl Nassib – By Eric Pangilinan
- Raiders Receiver John Brown Building Chemistry With QB Derek Carr
- John McAfee, Who Ran For President vs Donald Trump In 2015, Died In Spanish Prison
- Loki Lamentis Review Recap – By Jessica Dwyer
- Loki Episode 3: Does The Ark Reference Have Symbolic Meaning To Noah’s Ark? By Joseph Armendariz
- 2412 Kingsland Ave Oakland, CA 94601
- Bike Oakland/Alameda: Bay Trail & Bay Farm Island
- Oakland City Budget 2021-23: Oakland City Council President Bas Presents Amendments
- 2020 USWNT U.S. Olympics Women’s Soccer Team Announced June 23 2021
- IKEA in Atlanta Under Fire For Juneteenth Celebration Menu By Joseph Armendariz
- Loki Is Bisexual Says Director Kate Herron – But What Would Thor Say About That?
- My Cryptocurrency Portfolio Is Up Today, June 23 2021; Changed Its Composition. What Works For You?
- Howard Terminal Oakland Ballpark Project Clearing Up Errors In Reporting Regarding TIF, SB293 Skinner
- Loki Episode 3. Did This Episode Fail To Deliver? By Joseph Armendariz
- Kathleen Matz Takes Issue With My Oakland Juneteeth Shooting Vlog, Reflects A Basic Racial Problem
- The Race To Become New York Mayor- By Eric Pangilinan
- Raiders Top Draft Picks Continue To Shine In Training Camp – By Eric Pangilinan
- New York City Mayoral Primary Puts Spotlight On Ranked-Choice Voting
- Downtown Berkeley BART Station
- 2626 Hillegass Ave a Berkeley, CA 94704
Oakland News Now Archives
- Dynamic Group to break ground on 16-unit AD facility – Bioenergy Insight Magazine
- Dutch wood pellet imports reached new high in 2020 – Bioenergy Insight Magazine
- Oakland City Council Members Join Vigil in Honor of Victims of Juneteenth Shooting – NBC Bay Area – California News Times
- Crowd gathers at Lake Merritt to mourn 22-year-old man killed in mass shooting – San Francisco Chronicle
- Bishop Barber of Oakland: Unmasked Massgoers Should Not Be ‘Policed’ – National Catholic Register
- Juneteenth Celebration at Lake Merritt in Oakland, Calif. – The Pioneer
- Athletics race to large, early lead, defeat Rangers 13-6 – Associated Press
- List of possible A’s ballpark sites grows, 3rd Las Vegas trip planned – Las Vegas Review-Journal
- Bay Briefing: Where Bay Area small businesses got help — and where they didn’t – San Francisco Chronicle
- Oakland crowd twerks on ambulance, blocks responders after deadly shooting – Fox News