Oakland, CA – The “Grab and Go” free meal program for Oakland students is now in its third day and expects to continue growing exponentially. On day one of the program last Monday, March 16, OUSD Nutrition Services gave out about 25,000 meals to roughly 4,100 students. On Thursday, March 19, the second day of meal service, about 10,000 students received 50,000 meals. Today, the program has 90,000 meals ready for pickup.
Along with the work done by our nutrition services staff and other district staff and volunteers, we are partnering with Stephen and Ayesha Curry’s Eat. Learn. Play. Foundation and other funders to support the food program. We have teamed up with the World Central Kitchen and Revolution Foods to provide dinners, the Alameda County Community Food Bank to provide bags of groceries, and SupplyBank.org to provide other items including feminine hygiene products.
“This is how we will get through this challenging time, by working together – while exercising safe social distancing – and supporting each other, especially those most in need,” said Superintendent Kyla Johnson-Trammell. “Our families have needs that we help fill during the best of times, and it only gets tougher when our world is facing such remarkable adversity. I thank all of our staff for being there for our students, and special thanks to all of our community partners for stepping up to support the young people of Oakland.”
As was the case last week, the Grab and Go program is taking place at 12 different schools across the District. The sites are:
● In Northwest and West Oakland, Sankofa Elementary, West Oakland Middle School, and Hoover Elementary.
● In Central Oakland, Oakland High School, and Garfield Elementary
● And in East Oakland, the schools are Bret Harte Middle School, Life Academy and United for Success, Coliseum College Prep Academy, Madison Park Upper, Fremont High School, Castlemont High School, and Elmhurst United Middle School.
The food service is available for all OUSD students and any child in Oakland under the age of 18. Today, each student will be able to pick up three breakfasts, three lunches and three suppers to last through Wednesday. On Thursday, they can get two of each to finish the week. Students and their families are asked to bring bags or boxes to carry the food home.
The service runs until noon, and will begin again on Thursday, March 26 at 8:00 a.m.
Note: this post was made from a press release sent to Zennie62Media by OUSD.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- NFL Trade Rumors On Odell Beckham, Von Miller, Saquon Barkley, Jimmy Garoppolo + Dak Prescott Injury October 18, 2021
- Bye Bye New England! INSANE Ending Cowboys vs. Patriots October 18, 2021
- Nation’s Top Cannabis Companies Partner to Deliver Point of Purchase Data on Cannabis Products to Consumers, Manufacturers October 18, 2021
- West Oakland skate park fire October 18, 2021
- Film Study: Derek Carr was incredible for the Las Vegas Raiders Vs the Denver Broncos October 18, 2021
- 1044 Aquarius Way Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale October 18, 2021
- 4601 Grass Valley Rd Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale October 18, 2021
- 30 years since firestorm tore through Oakland hills October 18, 2021
- FIRST TAKE | Stephen A. EXCITED Las Vegas Raiders win vs. Denver Broncos, after Gruden’s resignation October 18, 2021
- Broncos season slipping from grasp after Raiders loss October 18, 2021
- NFL News, Dak Injury, NFL Trade Rumors On Von Miller & Odell Beckham, Cam Newton Destinations + Q&A October 18, 2021
- Best of Stephen Curry’s 2021-2022 Preseason 👌 October 18, 2021
- 49ers News & Rumors: Trade Jimmy Garoppolo For Odell Beckham? Sign Cam Newton? Kendricks Signs w/ SF October 18, 2021
- Is J.T. O’Sullivan Right About 49ers QB Trey Lance October 18, 2021
- Raiders Rumors, Overreaction Monday On Rich Bisaccia, Derek Carr + Winners & Losers vs. Broncos October 18, 2021
- Cal Men’s Basketball: Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Media Day Press Conference October 18, 2021
- Cal Women’s Soccer: Karlie Lema’s late goal gives Cal a 1-0 road win over Utah October 18, 2021
- Falcons News & Rumors: Grady Jarrett Trade Rumors? Josh Andrews Back? Falcons vs Dolphins EASY Win? October 18, 2021
- Mike Golic: Las Vegas Raiders used Broncos game as ‘safe haven’ | Pro Football Talk | NBC Sports October 18, 2021
- Statement from President Barack Obama on the Passing of General Colin Powell October 18, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders | The Jon Gruden Era Is Over In Las Vegas October 18, 2021
- A Retired East Bay Teacher Raised More Than $300K for Schools. Now, He Has a New, Ambitious Goal October 18, 2021
- Colin Powell RIP – Endorsement Of Barack Obama in 2008 Marked Major Change In Black Relations October 18, 2021
- COWBOYS y PATRIOTS luchan hasta el TIEMPO EXTRA | Semana 6 2021 NFL Game Highlights October 18, 2021
- ‘Bloomberg Technology’ Full Show (10/15/2021) October 18, 2021
- Dodgers vs. Braves NLCS Game 2 Highlights (10/17/21) | MLB Highlights October 18, 2021
- Derreck Johnson Runs For Mayor Of Oakland In 2022 Elections October 18, 2021
- Tech Byte – Tech for Tracking MLB Playoffs October 18, 2021
- Hisense | Washing Machine | All in One October 18, 2021
- Hisense X Laser TV | Bring cinema home October 18, 2021