The Oakland Unified School District sent this press release to announce a press conference held last Friday on a new campus at Glenview Elementary. As that even was missed by this space, here’s the information that was sent, which will be augmented by additional news presented here at Oakland News Now:
OUSD to Unveil New Campus at Glenview Elementary at Friday Press Conference
School is Ready to Welcome Students When District Reopens for In-Person Learning
Oakland – On Friday, October 9, OUSD is celebrating a major milestone in the form of the completion of a rebuilt school. The freshly completed Glenview Elementary, which sits at the corner of La Cresta Avenue and Hampel Street, is now ready to welcome students back to class once conditions related to the pandemic allow the District to reopen for in-person instruction. The school was almost entirely torn down in 2016 for the rebuilding project. The only thing that remained was the facade on the front of the school. And there are lots of other amazing features.
The old school building had undersized and under-equipped classrooms, but those are history. The new building has high-performance classrooms that are right-sized, healthy and comfortable, and achieve 21st century goals for learning environments. The retention of the iconic porch and portico element was pivotal in the design of the new building. The architect said that while it was challenging, it anchored the new building in the same location as the original building and allowed for the cherished stairs, outdoor terraces, and architectural landmark to remain.
The new multi-use room with a stage and a basketball court will be enjoyed by students, parents and the community, and the roll-up doors allow larger indoor/outdoor gatherings. The library’s location and design with its built-in amphitheater seating, flexible layout, and restroom support school and community use.
Multi-use room with stage & basketball court.
The school was also built with sustainability as a major driver of the design. The school is resource conscious, consumes less energy, and provides natural lighting throughout. It is well-insulated, has efficient radiant heating systems and LED lighting, ceiling fans are used for cooling and comfort, windows are operable and energy management systems were installed to manage energy consumption.
“This is a moment we have all been waiting years to see,” said Superintendent Kyla Johnson-Trammell. “A time when we get to celebrate the rebirth of a beloved school. The newly rebuilt Glenview Elementary will serve generations of Oakland children, as a warm, welcoming and supportive environment for learning. It is beautiful inside and out, and any Oakland student would be proud to call Glenview their school. Likewise, the campus will serve as an important community center for residents in the Dimond Park area. We thank the taxpayers of Oakland for supporting this important work to ensure our students have the kind of learning environment that all young people need and deserve.”
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Oakland City Auditor Homelessness Report Blasts Encampments Without Solution To Problem
- Zennie Abraham Zennie62Media Presentation On Social Media For Your International Trade Business
- City Auditor, Courtney Ruby: Oakland Homeless Encampments Cost City Of Oakland $12.6 Million
- YouTube’s Creator Responsibility Initiative
- Jonathan Pentland Soldier In Jail After Assault On Black Young Man In South Carolina Is Lesson
- Jessica Dwyer Talks With Zennie Abraham About Her Tony Todd Candyman Interview
- Rotary Club of Oakland Civic Wednesday Meeting April 14, 2021
- Jadeveon Clowney Signs One Year Deal with Browns | CBS Sports HQ
- Brandon Dawkins Thanks Oakland Police Officer Mike For Service At Oakland Coliseum During Raiders Games
- AmeriCorps NCCC Team Blue 5 Oakland Mobile Vaccine Pop-Up
- Getting Vaccinated At The Oakland Coliseum Site
- Prosecuting Attorney In Chauvin Trial Reduces Chauvin Defense Pathology Expert Claims To Nothing
- Coinbase Direct Listing Discussion
- Rachael “Rachul” Frieza Crossfit Super Muscular Hot Instagram Female Athlete @rachulfreyafit
- Brian Armstrong Coinbase CEO Who Gave Me My First Bitcoin After Meeting At Mars Bar SF, Goes Public
- Mock Draft Live Two Weeks Away From The 2021 NFL Draft
- 1974 Oakland Raiders Season
- Oakland Athletics Post-Game From Phoenix By Richard Haick
- Oakland Public Library: Hora De Cuentos: 5 En La Cama
- Oakland Athletics at Arizona Diamondbacks at Chase Field in Phoenix by Richard Haick