Oakland Schools Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) Continues to Prepare for Extended Closure Through End of School Year After State Superintendent Tony Thurmond Signals Schools May Not Reopen Before June
Oakland, CA — Here is a statement regarding the March 31 letter from State Superintendent Tony Thurmond in which he indicated that schools may not reopen before the end of the current school year.
“OUSD remains focused on continuing our educational mission as we already know schools will be closed through May 1, 2020. Now, with State Superintendent Thurmond’s letter indicating that schools may not reopen before the end of the 2019-20 school year, we know that the work we have already been doing in preparation for this possible scenario was taking the right approach. It’s important to note this is not a directive from Thurmond that schools will remain closed, but rather his assessment that if the pandemic continues, schools will likely remain closed. OUSD Superintendent Kyla Johnson-Trammell is in close communication with the Alameda County Office of Education and the California Department of Education (CDE) to gain clarity and a possible directive about any extension of the closure. We will update our families and staff with any new information as we receive it. We appreciate this additional perspective and offer of distance learning support from CDE, as it will further guide us as we work to educate our students and support our families from a distance.”
About the Oakland Unified School District
In California’s most diverse city, Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) is dedicated to creating a learning environment where “Every Student Thrives!” More than half of our students speak a non-English language at home. And each of our 83 schools is staffed with talented individuals uniting around a common set of values: Students First, Equity, Excellence, Integrity, Cultural Responsiveness and Joy. We are committed to preparing all students for college, career and community success.
To learn more about OUSD’s Full Service Community District focused on academic achievement while serving the whole child in safe schools, please visit OUSD.org and follow us @OUSDnews.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- TUTORIAL: Register for Oakland’s Online Permit Portal!
- OSA IM Piano Recital-A Trip to Europe: Baroque to Contemporary
- City Of Oakland Says Check Your Permit Status
- City of Oakland’s Hazard Risk Ranking Story Map Tool
- 5 Minute Story: My Lucky Day
- Oakland Education Association: Black Lives Matter In School
- Oakland Education Association: Placement Of Air Purifiers In Classrooms
- Glide Memorial Church 21.04.11 Sunday Celebration – 9 AM
- TFH Oakland Church Online 04.11.21
- Oakland Roots Preseason Friendly Against Tacoma Defiance
- Oakland Roots Preseason Friendly Against San Jose Earthquakes
- Oakland Athletics Series Highlights vs Diamondbacks (4/12 – 4/13)
- Oakland Apartment For Rent 433 Adams Street, Adams Point
- Mass Casualty Shooting At Indianapolis FedEx Facility | NBC News
- A Message From President Ces Butner About The Oakland Rotary Endowment Campaign
- Thursday in Las Vegas Livestream Weekly Strip Update By Steven Campbell
- Crazy car ran over random people during car show in San Francisco, Mission street (March 27, 2021)
- Oakland Celebrates The Wonderful Life of Dorothy King At Everett & Jones BBQ Funeral
- Bike Transportation And The Oakland A’s Ballpark, A Video Discussion
- 708 32nd St Oakland, CA Home For Sale | ColdwellBankerHomes.com