Oakland – The inaugural OUSD Food Lab Challenge was a resounding success on Tuesday with seven teams made up of student summer interns at the Central Kitchen, Education Center, and Instructional Farm creating amazing new meals for a panel of judges, hoping to be crowned the winning chefs.
The task was to create a meal that can easily be mass produced in the Central Kitchen on a daily basis for many, if not all, students across the District. The teams came up with meals that ranged from a Garden Fresh Pho noodle dish and Tortilla Salad Bowl to Green Leaf Pupusa and Ryna’s Stuffed (bell) Pepper. They also created desserts that included fruit cups and kale smoothies.
The winning team created what they called Jahita Rice, which was inspired by Destiny Ndubuisi’s African heritage, along with the peach cobbler inspired by a recipe in Amani Griffin’s family. Griffin just graduated from McClymonds High School, and Ndubuisi is a senior at Skyline High School.
The judges said almost all of the meals could be added to the menu at the Central Kitchen, and those that couldn’t were more for logistical reasons. Some of the interns were also offered jobs and internships at the Kitchen and at a restaurant represented by one of the judges.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Readout of Vice President Kamala Harris’s Meeting with Prime Minister Boris Johnson of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland September 22, 2021
- Oakland Rapper Spideyy Respond To Snitching Allegations Ig Interview ( Exclusive) W/ @Dcbabydraco September 22, 2021
- Walmart Billionaire to Build $400 Billion Utopian City in the Desert September 22, 2021
- Atlanta Braves vs Arizona Diamondbacks Highlights September 20 – MLB Highlights | MLB Season 2021 September 21, 2021
- Richard Buckley, Fashion Editor and Husband to Tom Ford, Dead at 72 | PEOPLE September 21, 2021
- Gabby Petito Remains Confirmed, Initial Autopsy Reveals Death A Homicide September 21, 2021
- Autopsy confirms: Gabby Petito’s body found in Wyoming September 21, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Should Be Ranked Higher On The NFL Power Rankings List By Eric Pangilinan September 21, 2021
- Willie Garson RIP – Interviewed Sex In The City, Hawaii 5-0 Actor In 2016 At Night Oscars Party September 21, 2021
- American Home Shield CEO Rex Tibbons Should Know How His Firm Gave My Mom Bad Fitting Dishwasher September 21, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Corner Back Nate Hobbs Ranked One Of The Best Defense Rookie By Eric Pangilinan September 21, 2021
- Drone Video Shows Haitian Migrants on Texas Border September 21, 2021
- Nearly 8,000 Haitian migrants removed from Del Rio | A look at the Texas-Mexico border September 21, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Sign Offensive Linemen Jake Burton By Eric Pangilinan September 21, 2021
- John Walsh On Gabby Petito, Brian Laundrie Sighting? TikTokers, Arches Park Ranger – iCkEdMeL September 21, 2021
- Gabby Petito, Brian Laundrie fight footage ‘terrified’ John Walsh | New York Post September 21, 2021
- Oakland Vlogger Jordyn Bradley’s Oakland Apartment Tour September 21, 2021
- SF Bay Area Bicycle Is Back – Bike Oakland: MacArthur Blvd Westbound, Laurel to Uptown September 21, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders QB Derek Carr Leads The NFL In Passing Yards Carr MVP Candidate By Eric Pangilinan September 21, 2021
- New Orleans Saints Caesar’s Superdome Roof Fire Reported With Video – Cause Not Known September 21, 2021
- City Council President Nikki Fortunato Bas On Video Interview By Oakland Rising September 21, 2021
- Kyle Shanahan Recaps 49ers Week 2 Win vs. Eagles September 21, 2021
- Senior citizen, teen girl punched in head in unprovoked attacks in San Francisco September 21, 2021
- Mensho Tokyo | Best Ramen in San Francisco | Spicy Tori Paitan #short September 21, 2021
- 05/10 Monday Meals: Just Recovery Budget – Reimagining Public Safety September 21, 2021