OUSD Announces Two Employees/Volunteers Have Tested Positive for COVID-19
Oakland, CA – Bad Oakland Schools News. Five weeks into the COVID-19 school closures, Oakland Unified School District is announcing that two employees/volunteers involved in the food distribution program and the device distribution program have tested positive for COVID-19. Fortunately, all of our distribution events have extensive health and safety protocols in place to mitigate such an incident and help protect everyone involved.
In each instance, the employee/volunteer worked at distribution events while experiencing no symptoms, and then within days of their last visit to a school, they developed symptoms, and later tested positive. Once each of these individuals felt symptoms set in, they self-isolated, reported the situation to their supervisor, and got themselves tested. Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) is not identifying the individuals because of privacy laws, and the District is not publicly releasing the names of the sites where they worked, as that information could lead others to know the individuals’ identities. In both cases, it has now been more than a week since the individuals were at a school site.
Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) protocols call for our custodial staff to deep clean any site potentially affected by a case of COVID-19 per CDC guidelines before anyone returns. During the food distribution events, all protocols were followed regarding social distancing, cleaning regularly, and the proper use of gloves and masks. Any employee or volunteer showing symptoms is ordered to stay home and away from work in alignment with CDC recommendations.
As the coronavirus continues to spread across our region and the nation, this development was not unexpected, although the District and our staff continue to do everything possible to minimize the risk of infection. Like grocery store workers and first responders, our nutrition services staff and volunteers are front line workers whose jobs are critical to the students and families of Oakland. That’s why the impacted sites are quickly cleaned and returned to service, since our District community depends on them.
We are thankful for the support of the city of Oakland, which gives our essential workers and volunteers who have been at the sites priority access to COVID-19 testing in case of potential exposure.
For our 12 food distribution sites, OUSD created an internal Health and Safety Team which visits all sites to observe practices and provide feedback for improvement. Every day, the team makes recommendations for improving safety practices (e.g., physical distancing, effective use of masks) and ensuring staff members feel appreciated and cared for. County Health Department food inspectors have visited our sites and told us they are impressed with our food safety and COVID-19 safety practices.
Additional OUSD employees or volunteers testing positive for COVID-19 will not be unexpected in a global pandemic. If and when that happens, OUSD will inform the local site staff and community as appropriate.
About the Oakland Unified School District
In California’s most diverse city, Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) is dedicated to creating a learning environment where “Every Student Thrives!” More than half of our students speak a non-English language at home. And each of our 83 schools is staffed with talented individuals uniting around a common set of values: Students First, Equity, Excellence, Integrity, Cultural Responsiveness and Joy. We are committed to preparing all students for college, career and community success.
To learn more about OUSD’s Full Service Community District focused on academic achievement while serving the whole child in safe schools, please visit OUSD.org and follow us @OUSDnews.
This post based on press release from OUSD to Zennie62Media.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Total Packers with Matt LaFleur: Allen Lazard October 28, 2021
- Allen Lazard 1 on 1: ‘I was the hot hand’ October 28, 2021
- Tim Syzmanski October 28, 2021
- Atlanta Falcons LIVE postgame press conferences | Carolina Panthers vs. Atlanta Falcons October 28, 2021
- Saints-Bucs Week 8 | Fantasy Keys to the Crown October 28, 2021
- Jordan Mailata Discusses “Lack of Execution” vs. Raiders & More | Eagles Press Conference October 28, 2021
- How one military mom mobilized thousands of volunteers to bring sense of hope to Afghan refugees October 28, 2021
- Michigan farm helps formerly incarcerated Americans grow vegetables and opportunity October 28, 2021
- Does Apple’s new privacy changes show it has too much power? October 28, 2021
- President Biden to announce new social spending package framework October 28, 2021
- Alok Sharma says he hopes that COP26 will show that the UK ‘delivered when it mattered’ October 28, 2021
- Keyshawn on J.J. Watt’s latest injury: ‘J.J. has not played a full season since winning DPOY!’ | KJM October 28, 2021
- Kyle Shanahan: Trey Lance Will Return to Practice Ahead of Week 8 | 49ers October 28, 2021
- Governor Larry Hogan on vaccinating kids and President Biden’s infrastructure deal October 28, 2021
- Newest hockey arena focuses on climate awareness October 28, 2021
- NFL Week 8 Best Bets: Spreads, Player Props & O/U Picks (+11.59U on the year!) October 28, 2021
- Merck ready to deploy Covid-19 antiviral pill upon FDA approval, CEO says October 28, 2021
- Rep. Jeffries: It’s My Understanding All Senate Dems Will Support Framework October 28, 2021
- LIVE: Latest news, breaking stories and analysis on October 28 | CBSN October 28, 2021
- Man Awarded $10M In Reverse Discrimination Case, Claims Fired For Being ‘White’ October 28, 2021
- Chelsea v Reading | Premier League U18 | Live Match October 28, 2021
- LIVE: Market Coverage: Thursday October 28 Yahoo Finance October 28, 2021
- EXCLUSIVE | Director behind first-ever movie filmed in space speaks to RT October 28, 2021
- This Morning’s Top Headlines – October 28 | Morning News NOW October 28, 2021
- Why Calvin Ridley is the best route running receiver in the NFL | Atlanta Falcons October 28, 2021
- Rescue dogs dress up in iconic scary movie costumes l GMA October 28, 2021
- FULL MATCH – Drew McIntyre vs. Randy Orton – WWE Title Hell in a Cell Match: WWE Hell in a Cell 2020 October 28, 2021
- Mario Party Superstars Review October 28, 2021
- She was fired over speaking up on Covid-19. Now, she’s coming for Matt Gaetz’s job October 28, 2021
- Mario Party Superstars – N64 vs. Switch Graphics Comparison October 28, 2021
- Player speaks after report finds Chicago Blackhawks took “no action” for weeks on sex assault cla… October 28, 2021
- Small SUVs only do so-so in revamped side crash test October 28, 2021
- 2016 Chevrolet Impala Limited Atlanta, Griffin, McDonough, Fayetteville, Thomaston, GA NT26687B October 28, 2021
- Comcast’s Q3 earnings beat Wall Street’s expectations October 28, 2021
- UFC 267: Fight Week Focus – Ep. 1 | Jan Blachowicz & Khamzat Chimaev October 28, 2021
- Migrant Caravan: Thousands In Mexico Moving Towards U.S. Border October 28, 2021
- dreamy Chicken Carbonara Recipe taken from @FoodNetwork October 28, 2021
- Biden To Detail Framework He Thinks Can Pass House, Senate: WaPo Reporter October 28, 2021
- Early morning fire causes evacuations at senior apartments on Eastern October 28, 2021
- Could the Great Barrier Reef lose its world heritage status? – BBC News October 28, 2021