Oakland – In this Oakland Schools News, starting September 15, OUSD is celebrating our annual Latino Heritage Month with students, families and staff across the District. By Board of Education resolution, the celebration lasts until October 15. Indigenous Latino students of color make up 45 percent of OUSD’s enrollment, and come from many countries spanning North, Central, and South America. Our diverse community includes many Indigenous cultures, languages and people who are seeing an increase in migratory patterns to the United States, and to the Bay Area, in particular. In all, there are 33 countries, including in the Caribbean, that comprise the rich and diverse peoples of our Indigenous Latino heritage.
*All photos from 2019, pre-pandemic.
The Latino community is diverse and holds unity and commonality with their Indigenous roots. For this reason, it is vital that we work towards finding commonalities, and the Indigenous connections we all hold to this land. We embrace connections and uplift our Indigenous and Afro-Latino identity and culture rooted in this continent, from the northern part of Alaska to the southern tip of Argentina, Tierra del Fuego.
As we celebrate Latino Heritage Month, we want to uplift our cultures, histories and people by immersing ourselves in the diversity of cultural and community events taking place this time of year. Normally, we would celebrate with an opening community or school-site event that recognizes the importance of the September 15th/16th dates, which represent the withdrawal of Spanish colonization, and the independence of Latino nations across the Americas. As we are in challenging times, with COVID impacting our communities, we want to encourage families and schools to celebrate this important time of year in a safe way, keeping in mind all District, CDC, state, and county safety guidance.
Latino Student Achievement (LSA) specialists have curated a Latino Heritage Guide for sites. We encourage staff to explore the resource links to supplement classroom learning, site-based activities, and possible events. In partnership with Oakland Latino Educators (OLE), we would also like to recognize OUSD Latino staff who have had a profound impact on our campuses and in our community. Please nominate a Latino staff member to be recognized with our OUSD Latino Staff Nomination Form.
We would also like to encourage people who are interested in becoming credentialed teachers in the District to apply for our Maestr@s Latino Teacher Pathway Program, which provides support and a scholarship award towards the clear credential. Please email Eve Delfín at email@example.com or Marisa Villegas at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Like every year, our celebration will include a Latino Read-In and other activities and events at various school sites, including an after hours Latino Staff Meet and Greet to celebrate our Latino staff who serve our students every day. Our September event reached maximum COVID safety capacity on the first day of the announcement, however, so we will be planning other events throughout the month and the school year.
LSA is again partnering with the Oakland Public Education Fund on the annual Latino Read-In to bring in family, staff and community volunteers into our classrooms (in person and virtually) to read books written by Latino authors. The Latino Read-In will be held from October 4-8, and we welcome volunteers who would like to participate and read to our students, either in person or through Zoom. Click here for more information about the Latino Read-In, Oct 4-8.
We look forward to celebrating our students and staff at these events, and integrating Latino student and family cultural and linguistic assets into student learning and campus life every day!
Post based on press release from Oakland Unified School District to ZENNIE62MEDIA, Inc.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Imagine the Gateway at UC Berkeley October 16, 2021
- Xanadu, Primus, A Tribute to Kings, Berkeley, CA., October 15, 2021 October 16, 2021
- Primus – “Jilly’s On Smack” – Live 10-15-2021 – The Greek Theatre – Berkeley, CA October 16, 2021
- Primus – Shake Hands with Beef – 2021-10-15 Berkeley, CA October 16, 2021
- Garbage Pickup Gone Wrong: How the City of Berkeley is “cleaning” curbside communities October 16, 2021
- Upcoming Events at Allen Temple Baptist Church Oakland for the week of 10/17/21 October 16, 2021
- 2591 Leimert Blvd Oakland, CA 94602 October 16, 2021
- Before & After Staging of 2840 Carmel St Oakland│ Realtor Sheila Zarekari │ Just Local Homes October 16, 2021
- Our First Ever Offseason! | Oakland Roots Expansion NBA 2k22 | #2 October 16, 2021
- HSN | Shopping with Colleen – Let’s Holiday 10.16.2021 – 01 PM October 16, 2021
- All of Our Goals Are Ahead of Us | Raiders vs. Broncos | Week 6 | Trailer | NFL October 16, 2021
- Friday Ratings: Baseball Playoffs Dominate The Demo Wars, But ‘Blue Bloods” Still The Viewership Kin October 16, 2021
- 75 Minutes of Golden State Warriors Highlights to Get You Hyped for the NBA Season! October 16, 2021
- Why We Know the NFL Went After Gruden and the Raiders October 16, 2021
- Warriors Ground: Oakland Forever October 16, 2021
- 2021 MLB playoffs Red Sox vs Astros odds ALCS Game 1 picks predictions October 16, 2021
- Car cash start fire in Oakland California October 16, 2021
- Rich Bisaccia Becomes Interim Head Coach and Previewing the Denver Broncos | Raiders | NFL October 16, 2021
- Pro Football Hall Of Fame President & CEO, David Baker To Resign, By: Vinny Lospinuso October 16, 2021
- Dodgers Vs Braves, NLCS Series Preview – 2021 MLB Playoffs October 16, 2021
- MLB Playoffs DFS Strategy Show: Daily Fantasy Baseball Picks for DraftKings & FanDuel | Friday 10/15 October 16, 2021
- Restaurants in Oakland, California – USA October 16, 2021
- Cal Football: Chase Garbers Press Conference (10.15.21) October 16, 2021
- Cal Football: Elijah Hicks Press Conference (10.15.21) October 16, 2021
- Cal Football: Justin Wilcox Press Conference (10.15.21) October 16, 2021
- Bus struck by stolen vehicle fleeing police crashes into Oakland home October 16, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders vs Denver Broncos: Week 6 Game Preview October 16, 2021
- John Gruden Fired as Las Vegas Raiders Head Coach: Degenerates in the Nosebleeds Episode 1 October 16, 2021
- Cal Football: Justin Wilcox, Post Oregon October 16, 2021
- Cal Football: QB Chase Garbers, Post-Oregon October 16, 2021