Oakland, California Chinese Food Restaurants are such that the best one, or the one you may prefer, is hidden away, tucked in a small part of a neighborhood you may not know, on the other side of town from where you are. It’s with that fact in mind that this presentation of Oakland residents giving suggestions for favorite Chinese Food Restaurants is important.
This blogger happened to spot the discussion on the Glenfriends listserv and took notice of Chinese Food Restaurant names I’d never seen before. So, without using the names of the Oaklanders who wrote the suggestions, here are their suggestions.
It all started with this question:
Can anyone suggest a Chinese Restaurant they like in and around the Glenview area?
Thanks in advance.
But, Wait, What’s The Glenview Neighborhood, Anyway?
Before we go further, we have to ask just what is the Glenview Neighborhood, anyway.
Well, Visit Oakland, Oakland’s version of the convention and visitors bureau, has a great description of The Glenview:
Main strip: Park Boulevard
Who dwells here: Residents looking to escape the hustle and bustle of city life
Founded: Early 1900s
Neighborhood giant: Dimond Park
Where to mingle with locals: Blackberry Bistro
A sweet neighborhood of California bungalows in the lower Oakland Hills, Glenview feels more like a very quiet Rockridge with a couple good restaurants and well-manicured gardens. The main strip of Park Boulevard is pretty much where anything happens now and where it happened then: More than a century ago, the now bustling street was a path where redwoods traveled to get from where they were felled to the lumberyard. The elementary school is Art Deco, built in 1927; and the local breakfast joint serves dishes like eggs (and grits!) till 3:30 p.m. on the weekends. A lazy slice of California.
But, as you will see, some of the suggestions point to places that are actually just outside of the Glenview, but nearby. Piedmont Ave is way not in the Glenview; it’s closer to the Kaiser Medical Center, and a good two miles away! And, not one Oakland Chinese Food Restaurant located in Oakland’s Chinatown was mentioned!
With that, here are the suggestions ordered by number (no, not a ranking):
1. In my estimation Little Shin Shin on Piedmont Ave is the best nearby.
2. Shan Dong on 10th in Oakland’s Chinatown. Short on ambience but food is excellent.
In Berkeley (Elmwood), Shen Hua.
3. Actually Ly Luck on Fruitvale across from Safeway is pretty good.
4. My preference is “Holly’s Mandarin” on Piedmont Avenue at 41st (across from Citibank). At one time, Holly worked at Little Shen Shen, but left them, taking some of the crew with her, and opened her own restaurant. Great lunch at an unbelievably low cost. Veggies are always fresh and crisp, cooked with minimal amounts of oil; brown, white, or pork- fried rice choices, (my favorite is the pork fried rice with veggies and eggs); large entree selection (chicken, beef, pork, prawns)……….Used to choose the Mongolian Beef, now choose Mongolian Prawns………. lunch comes with soup at the beginning.
I am not a “connoisseur” of Chinese food, but like this one a lot. There were a couple of great Chinese restaurants at the top end of Solano Avenue (beyond Safeway) in Albany which I have not been to in years. Holly’s is closer.
East Ocean on Webster Street in Alameda (enter from the tube side) has good dim sum.
There is a good (either Taiwanese or Vietnamese…..fusion Asian ?) restaurant on Piedmont Avenue. Same side as Fenton’s Ice Cream place, bit just a couple of doors up before you get to the cross street. Loved it!
6. After 17 years in the Glenview hood, I would say there are zero. Unless a new one has popped up in the past couple years. I tried them all, from College Ave to Fruitvale and Piedmont. The only okay one, in my view, is Little Shen Shen off Piedmont. If you want really GOOD Chinese I’m afraid it’s Berkeley. King Yen is super delicious and big menu. There’s a Glenview business opportunity here for someone!
And on that, Little Shen Shen was the only Oakland Chinese Food Restaurant that had a video review on YouTube. This one from the PBS Show “Check, Please” – which I hesitate to mention because they blew off my email request to be an Oakland restaurant reviewer a few years ago, but oh well:
7. The following Chinese Food Restaurant suggestion is from this blogger: Yang Chow Oakland. Yang Chow Oakland has been my personal favorite Chinese restaurant for almost two decades. Located at 3211 Grand Ave, it’s just across Grand from the Grand Lake Theater, and a great place to have an affordable dinner before catching a movie there – which, by the way, you should do. Yang Chow also has a fantastic lunch buffet that goes from 11:30 to 2 PM, Monday through Friday. Considering some in the Glenview are passing up the Grand Lake Theater Area for Piedmont Ave, Yang Chow is closer. Check it out.
In closing, if anyone has a Chinese food eatery to suggest, please do so in the comments section, below. Also, TripAdvisor has it’s own list of the 10 Best Chinese Restaurants in Oakland.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Braves vs. Dodgers NLCS Game 4 Highlights (10/20/21) | MLB Highlights October 21, 2021
- Covid Cases Rise In U.K. As Government Rejects Reimposing Restrictions October 21, 2021
- ‘Bloomberg Technology’ Full Show (10/19/2021) October 21, 2021
- We Discuss HBCU Football The NFL NBA MLB Playoffs October 21, 2021
- Simone Biles Speaks Out On Championing Mental Health October 21, 2021
- San Francisco closes an In & Out Over Vax Checks – California School Kids Safely Eat Lunch In Rain October 21, 2021
- House To Vote On Holding Steve Bannon In Contempt Of Jan. 6th Investigation October 21, 2021
- COVID-19: Prime Minister says ‘we’re in a much better position” because of the vaccine October 21, 2021
- Rep. Jayapal: We May Not Get All We Want In The Bill, But Let’s Get This Done October 21, 2021
- US surgeon general on child vaccines: Parents have been waiting for this October 21, 2021
- Liz Cheney Suggests Trump Was ‘Personally Involved’ in Jan. 6 Capitol Riot October 21, 2021
- New product announcement on October 21st 2021 | Sony | α October 21, 2021
- 5 Best New Gaming Laptops of 2021 Latest Gaming Laptops CES 2022 October 21, 2021
- John King reveals multiple sclerosis diagnosis l GMA October 21, 2021
- Celine Dion puts return to Vegas residency on hold, citing health issues l GMA October 21, 2021
- Democrats close in on compromise for Biden’s economic package October 21, 2021
- Gas explosion At Restaurant Kills At Least Three In Northeast China October 21, 2021
- #14 Coastal Carolina vs Appalachian State Football Game Highlights 10 20 2021 October 21, 2021
- Stephen Curry SLIPS In Front Of Floyd Mayweather 😳 October 21, 2021
- Charles Barkley Gives It A Go On “Who He Play For?” feat. Drew Carey | NBA on TNT October 21, 2021
- Jeh Johnson: You Cannot Have 200,000 People A Month Crossing The Border October 21, 2021
- Mike Leach asked about LSU coaching vacancy and Ed Orgeron, gives absolute awesome answer October 21, 2021
- Second storm system showering into Bay Area October 21, 2021
- NBA Picks and Predictions | Daily NBA Betting Preview | Tip-Off Show for Oct 21 October 21, 2021
- 2020 Honda Civic Sport Sale Price Lease Bay Area Oakland Alameda Hayward Fremont San Leandro CA R200 October 21, 2021
- Latest Weather Forecast October 21, 2021
- LIVE: Latest news, breaking stories and analysis on October 21 | CBSN October 21, 2021
- Jim Jordan can’t seem to keep January 6 story straight. Brianna Keilar rolls the tape October 21, 2021
- Lake Merritt in Oakland, California is one of the most unique urban spaces in the United States. October 21, 2021
- This Morning’s Top Headlines – October 21 | Morning News NOW October 21, 2021
- These GOP candidates have a strategist afraid for the party’s future October 21, 2021
- U.S. Surgeon General On WH Plan To Vaccinate Children Ages Five To 11 October 21, 2021