The Oakland Raiders Coliseum Lease Extension to 2020 is almost finished.
The Oakland Raiders are one big step to playing more NFL football games at the Oakland Coliseum beyond this 2018 NFL Season. This morning, a special meeting of the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum was held, and specifically to go over the months-in-the-making extension to the current lease at the sports stadium.
Right now, the Oakland Raiders are paying $3.5 million to the Coliseum JPA, and that’s an increase over the $925,000 paid by the Silver and Black in 2016. According to many conversations this blogger had with a number of people both on and associated with the Oakland Coliseum JPA, the initial versions of the lease extension were described to me as “draconian.”
Those expensive lease plans were borne of a desire by some Coliseum JPA Board Members to “punish” the Raiders for not just the Las Vegas Relocation itself, but for the many documented examples of the NFL team working behind the collective back of the City of Oakland and the County of Alameda. In one case, it was said that if the Raiders stayed to 2020, the rent would be $10 million. Another account had the rent schedule roughly doubling each year, from $3.5 millon in 2018 to $11 million by 2020.
Then, over the last month, Coliseum JPA Board members pointed to former Oakland City Councilmember Ignacio De La Fuente as wanting to give the Raiders a more reasonable deal. From the contact I had today, it looks like De La Fuente’s approach may have prevailed.
The next step is for the Coliseum JPA Executive Director Scott McKibben to send the lease proposal to Oakland Raiders President Mark Badain. Provided Mr. Badain and Raiders Owner Mark Davis agree with the new lease, it will be signed at the July meeting of the Coliseum Joint Powers Authority.
Stay tuned for updates and subscribe to Zennie62 On YouTube for my livestream show.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Memories of Roy Steele
- Antioch Press Conference
- Oakland Mayor’s Town Hall Budget Summit – Guaranteed Income
- Renaming to White Supremacy Resolution
- The Sounds Of Oakland: Sideshow Season 2021 OPD Responds
- Amtrak Capital Corridor #527 train Southbound at The Oakland Coliseum Amtrak Station 4KHD
- More Oakland Unified Elementary Students Return to School
- The Sounds Of Oakland: The OPD Engagement Of The 2021 Protest Season
- 11370 Golf Links Road, Oakland, CA | Michael and Nicole Wilhelm, Compass
- Oakland Vigil & Protest for Daunte Wright & Adam Toledo 4/16/2021
- Berkeley Councilmember Ben Bartlett Says FAA Threatens City’s Skies
- President Biden, First Lady, Vice President Harris Statements On Walter Mondale’s Passing
- Oakland A’s Road Warrior Ways Produce 8-Game Win Streak, 9-7 Record
- City of Oakland, Partners, Welcome New Brooklyn Basin Affordable Housing Units Residents
- VP Kamala Harris On Diplomacy With Mexico Northern Triangle Countries During Press Gaggle
- Marvel Studios’ Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings | Official Teaser
- Oakland Schools News: OEA & OUSD Reach Tentative Agreement On 21-22 School Year Calendar
- Rusty Hardin, Deshaun Watson Lawyer, Asserts Client’s Innocence In Statement After Filing Response
- WhereDoWeGoOakland Is An Oakland Success By Derrick Soo
- Texans QB Deshaun Watson Answer To 22 Tony Buzbee Lawsuits Details Lies, Money Grab