The City of Oakland sent this press release about the Oakland Public Library.
Oakland, CA – Starting Friday, May 24, library users can visit any branch of the Oakland Public Library and sign up to receive a special edition Children’s Fairyland library card. All Children’s Fairyland card holders will receive free entry to the story book theme park on Tuesday, July 30*.
In addition, now children of any age can sign up for their very own Oakland Public Library library card. Previously, children needed to be at least five years of age to have their own library card. [For library card policies, visit oaklandlibrary.org/using-library/library-cards]
The Children’s Fairyland library card and new library card policy highlights what is shaping up to be another thrilling Summer Reading Program at Oakland Public Library. Last year attracted a record 13,982 registrants, and – with this year’s events, prizes and incentives – it promises to be another fun-filled summer at Your Library.
Participants can sign up for the OPL Summer Program at oaklandlibrary.org/summer or at any branch of the Oakland Public Library starting Friday, May 24. The Summer Program runs from June 1 – August 3.
“Oakland Public Library and Children’s Fairyland have partnered for years to inspire children’s learning and life-long love of reading,” said Oakland Public Library Associate Director Nina Lindsay. “Now, with our new library card policy, families can decide when the time is right for their very first library card. We hope our patrons – and new patrons – take advantage of this great partnership between two great Oakland institutions.”
In addition to receiving a Children’s Fairyland library card, participants who register at for the Kids’ Summer Reading (ages 0-14), Teen Summer Passport (ages 12-18), or Adult Summer Reading (ages 18+) are eligible to receive Oakland Athletics ticket vouchers. Kids, teens and adults will receive four ticket vouchers for select A’s home games at the Coliseum, while supplies last**.
Children’s Fairyland library cards and A’s ticket vouchers will be available for pickup starting Friday, May 24 at the Main Library, the African American Museum and Library at Oakland (AAMLO), or any of the 16 neighborhood branches – while supplies last. Children’s Fairyland cards are available to current cardholders, or anyone with ID or parent signature.
Oakland Public Library will also offer free Summer lunch for youth (ages 18 and under) at multiple library locations: 81st Avenue, César E. Chávez, Eastmont, Elmhurst, Martin Luther King, Jr., Melrose, and the Main Library. This will be the ninth year that OPL has partnered with Oakland’s Department of Human Services to provide this essential service.
This year’s Kids’ Summer Reading features over 150 events, including musical performances and story times, magic shows, puppet shows, crafts & activities, appearances from Stomper, and more. Oakland Public Library’s full lineup can be found here. In addition, kids who read 20 days during the summer are eligible to win a free book and other prizes.
This year’s grand prizes are a four-night stay for a family of four at Oakland Feather River Family Camp in summer 2020; one family membership to Children’s Fairyland (for ages 0-4); and one iPad (for ages 5-14).
* (No adult is admitted without a child, and no child is admitted without an adult.)
** Game selection is provided by the Oakland Athletics.
What: Oakland Public Library Summer Reading Program, Children’s Fairyland library card; cards for all ages
When: Registration and new card debut starts May 24.
Where: oaklandlibrary.org/summer or any OPL location
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- New Edge Capital’s Rob Sechan on taking advantage of the market as inflation rises October 25, 2021
- Kerala floods: ‘Our son was buried by mud – we couldn’t save him’ – BBC News October 25, 2021
- FPL GW10 STRATEGY STREAM – GW9 Reaction, Early Thoughts and Q&A! | Fantasy Premier League October 25, 2021
- Tyson Beckford on Russell Westbrook Wearing a Skirt: You Won’t Catch Me in a Dress (Part 6) October 25, 2021
- Microsoft is going to deliver really strong numbers, says Requisite’s Bryn Talkington October 25, 2021
- LIVE: CNBC TechCheck chats with Cameo CEO Steven Galanis — 10/25/21 October 25, 2021
- Retirement saving is a ‘three-legged stool’: Edward Jones’ Penny Pennington October 25, 2021
- James Michael Tyler, Gunther From ‘Friends,’ Dies At 59 From Prostate Cancer | THR News October 25, 2021
- The GOP’s Normalization Of Far-Right Fascism October 25, 2021
- NFL Picks – New Orleans Saints vs Seattle Seahawks Prediction, 10/25/2021 Week 7 NFL Best Bet Today October 25, 2021
- Rooga on Doing ‘Exposing Me’ Remix After King Von Dissed His Dead Brother (Part 20) October 25, 2021
- FPL Gameweek 10 | The FPL Wire | Fantasy Premier League Tips 2021/22 October 25, 2021
- 🏈🏀🏒 BEST BETS for MONDAY: Saints-Seahawks Picks, NBA Predictions & NHL Best Bets October 25, 2021
- ‘Absolutely, this is a coup’: Adviser to Sudan’s PM speaks to CNN October 25, 2021
- $1000 for Tom Brady’s Game Ball? | Good Morning Football October 25, 2021
- FREE NFL 10/25/21 Picks and Predictions Today NFL Betting Tips and Analysis October 25, 2021
- Amazon is a microcosm of the U.S. economy, says Fast Money editor October 25, 2021
- Chicago Bears Live – Matt Nagy Media Availability October 25, 2021
- NBA Betting Today – Monday 10/25 – Picks + Props + Sports Betting Analysis October 25, 2021
- Julianna Margulies on playing an LGBTQ+ character on “The Morning Show” October 25, 2021
- Storm dumps fresh snow across the sierra October 25, 2021
- Jumpsuit Plus Sizes / Women’s Clothing Boutique Fashion Trends 💕 October 25, 2021
- Turk: If I Was Still an Addict, I Would Look for the Drugs that Killed Michael K Williams (Part 15) October 25, 2021
- Citigroup CEO: ‘Very tangible benefits’ come from digital currencies October 25, 2021
- Finn Bálor’s Demon summons him: WWE Canvas 2 Canvas October 25, 2021
- Awarding the Best Performances of Week 7 | Good Morning Football October 25, 2021
- New Jersey Governor: We Can’t Afford To Go Backwards October 25, 2021
- Sexy Stylish Skirts / Women’s Clothing Boutique Fashion Trends 🌸 October 25, 2021
- #Shorts Rachel Scott of ABC News gives us a news brief on Texas Abortion Law Consequences October 25, 2021
- Verizon Game Rewind | Warriors Complete California Sweep in Sacramento – Oct. 24, 2021 October 25, 2021
- BREAKING: Petrol price hits a record 142.94p per litre October 25, 2021
- Understanding Facebook’s issues ahead of the company’s Q3 earnings report October 25, 2021
- Rex Ryan does NOT believe in the Green Bay Packers’ defense | Get Up October 25, 2021
- ‘Squid Game’ sparks global Korean Dalgona candy craze October 25, 2021
- Top African goalscorers | Premier League | Riyad Mahrez, Mohamed Salah, Didier Drogba & more October 25, 2021
- Braves headed to the World Series for the first time since 1999 October 25, 2021
- Citigroup CEO Jane Fraser joins Yahoo Finance’s All Markets Summit 2021 October 25, 2021
- ‘Day of reckoning’ for tech industry, Lo Toney says October 25, 2021
- WorldView: Sudan’s acting prime minister detained in apparent military coup October 25, 2021
- Jason Sudeikis Reprises His Joe Biden Impression On ‘Saturday Night Live’ October 25, 2021