Oakland – The Oakland Public Education Fund (Ed Fund) in partnership with the Oakland Unified School District (OUSD), has launched a COVID 19 Rapid Relief Fund to support vulnerable Oakland students and families. Serving almost 37,000 students, the Ed Fund and OUSD are committed to doing all they can to provide some continuity of education and provision of basic needs and services during this challenging and uncertain time.
“Our Rapid Relief Fund plans to raise more than $1.4 million in the coming weeks to provide direct financial support to vulnerable families,” said Alexandria Medina, Interim Executive Director for the Oakland Ed Fund. “Donations will also be used to purchase healthy food for students, provide distance learning materials, and ensure school facilities are safe for when students return”.
In an unprecedented action by the Ed Fund Board of Directors and by unanimous vote, the Oakland Public Education Fund has pledged $400,000 to the Relief Fund. This pledge is made possible by the generous donation of an anonymous donor through the Jewish Community Federation and Endowment Foundation.
“This grant represents deeply-held Jewish values around giving in times of great need such as this one”, says Sue Reinhold, Managing Director of Philanthropy, Jewish Community Endowment Foundation. “We are pleased to help facilitate this grant from our anonymous donor, and help the Oakland Public Education Fund support so many Oakland kids and their families.”
“OUSD is extremely grateful for our partnership with the Oakland Public Education Fund”, says Curtiss Sarikey, Chief of Staff, Office of the Superintendent, Oakland Unified School District. “Through this challenging time, we are seeing extraordinary acts of generosity and courage. We could not be more humbled and thankful for such an act by this donor, and directed to OUSD students and families by the Jewish Community Federation and Endowment Foundation and the Board of Directors of the Oakland Public Education Fund for approving this single largest gift to the relief fund in the amount of $400,000! This generous gift will be put to immediate use to provide direct assistance to our most vulnerable students and their families, as well as support OUSD’s critical food distribution program and closing the digital divide for distance learning so that all students have the opportunity to stay engaged with their education”
Community members, businesses, and philanthropic organizations are encouraged to contribute and learn more at www.oaklandedfund.org or by texting “Oakland” to 31996.
About the Oakland Public Education Fund:
The Oakland Public Education Fund (“the Ed Fund”) leads the development and management of community resources in Oakland public schools so that all students can learn, grow, and thrive. Learn more at www.oaklandedfund.org
About the Oakland Unified School District
In California’s most diverse city, Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) is dedicated to creating a learning environment where “Every Student Thrives!” We are committed to preparing all students for college, career and community success. www.ousd.org
About the Jewish Community Federation and Endowment Fund
The Jewish Community Federation and Endowment Fund is a philanthropic catalyst, connecting Bay Area Jews to the power we have as a community to improve the world. We partner with donors, organizations, and foundations to address the pressing issues facing our community, and develop innovative strategies that result in deep and lasting impact locally and around the world. www.jewishfed.org
This post based on press release to Zennie62Media.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Timothy Douglas, OEA negotiator, speaks on the Oakland school reopening tentative agreement
- Raiders Mark Davis Right, We’re Wrong About Derek Chauvin Verdict Tweet, Here’s Why
- Oakland Police Should March In Solidarity With Black Community Post Derek Chauvin Verdict
- Raiders “I Can Breathe” Tweet: What Was Las Vegas Thinking With That Derek Chauvin Verdict Entry?
- President Biden and Vice President Harris Address the Nation on the Derek Chauvin Trial Verdict
- Oakland Tech’s Ahmed Muhammad School’s 1st Black Male Valedictorian On Day Of Derek Chauvin Verdict
- Derek Chauvin Murder Trial Verdict Livestream Reaction Vlog After Murder Of George Floyd
- Derek Chauvin Murder Trial Verdict Reaction Vlog After Murder Of George Floyd
- WATCH LIVE: Jury in Derek Chauvin trial expected to return a verdict
- Oakland School News: OUSD Unveil’s New Green Schoolyard In Celebration Of Earth Day
- A Shooting Has Taken Place At A Stop & Shop In West Hempstead, NY, By: Vinny Lospinuso
- Look At Oakland Lake Merritt Instagram Videos Shows Fun Gathering – Are Complaints Just Racism?
- Oakland Lake Merritt Vendors Move From Lakeshore To Grand Avenue, But Racist Take Remains
- Memories of Roy Steele, Oakland A’s Announcer
- Oakland Police Chief Antioch Press Conference
- Oakland Mayor’s Town Hall Budget Summit – Guaranteed Income
- Renaming to White Supremacy Resolution
- The Sounds Of Oakland: Sideshow Season 2021 OPD Responds
- Amtrak Capital Corridor #527 train Southbound at The Oakland Coliseum Amtrak Station 4KHD
- More Oakland Unified Elementary Students Return to School