In Oakland Politics news, this question: who’s running for what 2020 Oakland City Council Elections Seat?
If you think it’s too early to ask that question, consider this: Sheng Thao, who won last year’s hotly contested Oakland City Council District 4 Seat Race, has already established her “Sheng Thao for Oakland City Council 2022” FPPC 501 and FPPC 410 files at the Oakland Elections Website. The files state candidate intent to run and acceptance of campaign spending limits – but this is for 2022.
Ok, we now know that Councilmember Sheng Thao’s fully in for a reelection run in 2022, but who’s running for releection in 2020?
Oakland Councilmembers Dan Kalb, Lynette Gibson McElhaney, and Larry Reid are all up for reelection in District One, District Three, and District Seven, respectively.
If you read the Oakland Elections Website and assumed that none of them were running for reelection because you didn’t see their names, that would be an error.
The way the system works, it’s automatically assumed the incumbent’s on the ballot for the next term until they formally ask to be removed from consideration, giving that person time to see how the campaign unfolds before officially announcing a re-election bid for the purpose of fundraising.
I’m not saying that Councilmembers Kalb, McElhaney, or Reid will do that, but they could. The question is, at this point, who’s set to run against them, and who might throw their hat into the ring?
In Oakland City Council District One, which is also known as North Oakland, and also north of I-580, the only Oaklander listed as planning to challenge Dan Kalb is Stephanie Dominguez Walton. Given what she does and did, Walton has and had a good base from which to take on Kalb.
Stephanie Dominguez Walton is a 1990 Pepperdine journalism grad who’s a realtor with Keller Williams Realty and who was the host of “The Lady Brain Show”, a half-hour broadcast on Comcast channels 104 and 819 and Xfinity On Demand.
“The Lady Brain Show”, a talk show with a progressive bent, had such stars as John Krasinski, Susan Sarandon, and Tom Hiddleston. The most recently aired program was on last October; there’s no content reflecting production for this year and her Linkedin profile reads that she stopped the program in 2013 after a five-year run.
That’s why I said “had a good base from which to take on Kalb” – one has to maintain a constant online presence in today’s noisy hyper-media world. That said, Walton could revive “The Lady Brain Show” rather quickly, given the online real estate she has control of.
Walton has enough connections with politically active Oaklanders like Joe Tuman (who ran for Mayor of Oakland in 2010 and 2014), Marcus Osborne, and John Bliss, and was a recent graduate of the Emerge California Program.
Emerge California is a non-profit that trains women for political office, and has produced such talents as Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf and San Francisco Mayor London Breed. So, keep an eye on Stephanie Dominguez Walton in the Oakland City Council District One Race for 2020.
Now, who’s going up against Councilmember McElhaney in District Three? Someone named Noel Pico.
Is This Man Noel Pico Oakland?
There’s nothing about Mr. Pico, and as I was searching the City of Oakland website, after an hour of search, I was redirected away from the standard page on candidates like Stephanie Dominguez Walton, and to a page that is from an off-City of Oakland website that tells me nothing. That’s never happened before in Oakland Political History.
As for Noel Pico, the only listing for a Noel Pico in Oakland is an unfortunate one: an arrest history under what’s called “Disobeying Domestic Relations Court Order” and listing that the 44-year-old was arrested 10 times between 2014 and 2019 for the same 273(6)A penal code violation., including three times this year, alone. Maybe Mr. Pico, if this is the same person, was encouraged to enter politics by the many legal entanglements of our current President Trump? Who knows?
Aside from Noel Pico, there’s no other name to take on Lynette for 2020 in District Three. Some have dropped the name of Cat Brooks, who ran for Mayor of Oakland last year (and did well for a first-time politician, coming in second behind the re-elected Mayor Schaaf), but has not officially planted her flag in that race, or any race to date.
What Will Larry Reid Do In District Seven Or Is It His Daughter’s Turn?
As of now, on paper, or website, it looks like the legendary District Seven Oakland City Councilmember Larry Reid is set to step down and make way for his accomplished daughter Treva Reid. But the truth is, Treva’s had her hat in the ring before, and her dad elected (excuse the pun) to run for reelection.
If Larry doesn’t run for reelection, Treva’s up against a tough customer in Robert “Bishop Bob” Jackson. Senior Pastor of Acts Full Gospel Church of God in Christ, at 1034 66th Avenue, “Bishop Bob” courts enough weight to land the District Seven Seat. “Bishop Bob” would land Paul Cobb and the Oakland Post as his personal publishing house, and auto-enlist his church members to get him into Oakland City Hall.
And who is Tyrone Stevenson? Tyrone Stevenson is the Executive Director of The Original Scraper Bike Team Inc. His Linkedin bio reads “Tyrone Stevenson Jr., CEO and Founder of the Scraper Bike Movement have worked passionately with under privileged youth. Tyrone started the Scraper Bike Movement; a tricked-out homemade bicycle style back when he was a troubled 13-year old. Tyrone ran with his passion with hopes to empower and build up a supportive community.” https://www.linkedin.com/in/tyrone-stevenson-9b069237/
Rebecca Kaplan’s a Shoe-In For Oakland City Council At-Large
Frank Ogawa and Henry Chang were the last two Oaklanders to hold the Oakland City Council At-Large Seat; neither ever lost a bid for re-election. That achievement has continued with Rebecca Kaplan, who’s combination of media, political intelligence, and longevity makes her a possible candidate for the 2022 Oakland Mayoral Race. That’s not to say Kaplan will not be challenged, but who could beat her?
Next time, we’ll focus on the Oakland School Board Races.
Stay tuned. And if you have any info on others who are planning to run for any one of those races, please share the news either via email email@example.com or below in the comments section, if you want your news to be public.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- The GOP’s Normalization Of Far-Right Fascism October 25, 2021
- NFL Picks – New Orleans Saints vs Seattle Seahawks Prediction, 10/25/2021 Week 7 NFL Best Bet Today October 25, 2021
- Rooga on Doing ‘Exposing Me’ Remix After King Von Dissed His Dead Brother (Part 20) October 25, 2021
- FPL Gameweek 10 | The FPL Wire | Fantasy Premier League Tips 2021/22 October 25, 2021
- 🏈🏀🏒 BEST BETS for MONDAY: Saints-Seahawks Picks, NBA Predictions & NHL Best Bets October 25, 2021
- ‘Absolutely, this is a coup’: Adviser to Sudan’s PM speaks to CNN October 25, 2021
- $1000 for Tom Brady’s Game Ball? | Good Morning Football October 25, 2021
- FREE NFL 10/25/21 Picks and Predictions Today NFL Betting Tips and Analysis October 25, 2021
- Amazon is a microcosm of the U.S. economy, says Fast Money editor October 25, 2021
- Chicago Bears Live – Matt Nagy Media Availability October 25, 2021
- NBA Betting Today – Monday 10/25 – Picks + Props + Sports Betting Analysis October 25, 2021
- Julianna Margulies on playing an LGBTQ+ character on “The Morning Show” October 25, 2021
- Storm dumps fresh snow across the sierra October 25, 2021
- Jumpsuit Plus Sizes / Women’s Clothing Boutique Fashion Trends 💕 October 25, 2021
- Turk: If I Was Still an Addict, I Would Look for the Drugs that Killed Michael K Williams (Part 15) October 25, 2021
- Citigroup CEO: ‘Very tangible benefits’ come from digital currencies October 25, 2021
- Finn Bálor’s Demon summons him: WWE Canvas 2 Canvas October 25, 2021
- Awarding the Best Performances of Week 7 | Good Morning Football October 25, 2021
- New Jersey Governor: We Can’t Afford To Go Backwards October 25, 2021
- Sexy Stylish Skirts / Women’s Clothing Boutique Fashion Trends 🌸 October 25, 2021
- #Shorts Rachel Scott of ABC News gives us a news brief on Texas Abortion Law Consequences October 25, 2021
- Verizon Game Rewind | Warriors Complete California Sweep in Sacramento – Oct. 24, 2021 October 25, 2021
- BREAKING: Petrol price hits a record 142.94p per litre October 25, 2021
- Understanding Facebook’s issues ahead of the company’s Q3 earnings report October 25, 2021
- Rex Ryan does NOT believe in the Green Bay Packers’ defense | Get Up October 25, 2021
- ‘Squid Game’ sparks global Korean Dalgona candy craze October 25, 2021
- Top African goalscorers | Premier League | Riyad Mahrez, Mohamed Salah, Didier Drogba & more October 25, 2021
- Braves headed to the World Series for the first time since 1999 October 25, 2021
- Citigroup CEO Jane Fraser joins Yahoo Finance’s All Markets Summit 2021 October 25, 2021
- ‘Day of reckoning’ for tech industry, Lo Toney says October 25, 2021
- WorldView: Sudan’s acting prime minister detained in apparent military coup October 25, 2021
- Jason Sudeikis Reprises His Joe Biden Impression On ‘Saturday Night Live’ October 25, 2021
- World Series Preview: Astros, Braves show down in 2021 Fall Classic! October 25, 2021
- Tamron Hall talks new book, ‘As the Wicked Watch’ October 25, 2021
- Andrew Ross Sorkin: Facebook Controversies Won’t Impact Company’s Bottom Line October 25, 2021
- Republicans block voting rights bill as filibuster threatens Biden’s agenda October 25, 2021
- Citigroup CEO on inflation: ‘We’re probably in for a bit of a brutal winter’ October 25, 2021
- Nikki A.S.H Learns Things About India: WWE Superstars Ki Paathshala – Ep.3: WWE Now India October 25, 2021
- Alissa Violet SUING FaZe Clan for Shares of $300 Million Org October 25, 2021
- Robert Costa: Trump Was Calling Into Willard ‘War Room’ October 25, 2021