Oakland – Oakland’s Police Commission late Thursday night unanimously enacted the strongest language in the nation banning the use of neck holds and protecting individuals from asphyxia (when someone is deprived of oxygen) in encounters with police.
The policy comes in the aftermath of the murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis, who died of asphyxia due to a brutal and prolonged restraint by police. The case sparked national protests and increased awareness over the dangers of police restraints, including asphyxia, that prevent people from breathing.
Oakland has the strongest independent community oversight in the United States with the ability to write policing policy, discipline officers, and fire the police chief. This policy can now only be overturned by a majority vote veto from the city council which is not expected.
Although “chokeholds” are banned in Oakland, the use of the carotid hold which cuts off the flow of blood to the brain, is considered to be lethal force and was still allowed. The asphyxia language in this policy is unprecedented in protecting residents in interactions with police.
Nationally, deaths by asphyxiation are often misreported as inconclusive or attributed to other causes such as underlying medical conditions and the pseudo-medical term “excited delirium,” which are cited by police to avoid blame and are disproportionately used against Black people.
The importance of enacting a protection for asphyxia was underscored by the killing of George Floyd. The county coroner initially reported underlying conditions as well as “excited delirium” as the cause of death, only making the correction to asphyxia following widespread public attention.
In the Police Commission meeting on June 25, alternate Police Commissioner David Jordan shared his own experience as a 14-year-old. “I had a full-grown man with his duty belt and his armor kneeling on the back of my head and kneeling on my back. I could not breathe and I was inhaling the dirt from the ground. He held me there for, honestly, who knows [how long]. We know it is happening to others all around the country. I know that there are people dying. We need to take immediate steps,” Jordan said.
In addition to the ban, there will also be a new protocol that prohibits officers from “piling on” to people held on the ground, as occurred with George Floyd.
New protocols will also require officers to monitor a restrained person’s well being and recognize signs of distress, an important safeguard due to a common, dangerous misconception that if the person is able to talk, they are able to breathe.
The Oakland Coalition for Police Accountability (CPA) is made up of organizations and individuals representing over 10,000 Oaklanders dedicated to ensuring safe and constitutional policing for all residents.
This post based on press release from The Oakland Coalition for Police Accountability to Zennie62Media, Inc.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- $1000 for Tom Brady’s Game Ball? | Good Morning Football October 25, 2021
- FREE NFL 10/25/21 Picks and Predictions Today NFL Betting Tips and Analysis October 25, 2021
- Amazon is a microcosm of the U.S. economy, says Fast Money editor October 25, 2021
- Chicago Bears Live – Matt Nagy Media Availability October 25, 2021
- NBA Betting Today – Monday 10/25 – Picks + Props + Sports Betting Analysis October 25, 2021
- Julianna Margulies on playing an LGBTQ+ character on “The Morning Show” October 25, 2021
- Storm dumps fresh snow across the sierra October 25, 2021
- Jumpsuit Plus Sizes / Women’s Clothing Boutique Fashion Trends 💕 October 25, 2021
- Turk: If I Was Still an Addict, I Would Look for the Drugs that Killed Michael K Williams (Part 15) October 25, 2021
- Citigroup CEO: ‘Very tangible benefits’ come from digital currencies October 25, 2021
- Finn Bálor’s Demon summons him: WWE Canvas 2 Canvas October 25, 2021
- Awarding the Best Performances of Week 7 | Good Morning Football October 25, 2021
- New Jersey Governor: We Can’t Afford To Go Backwards October 25, 2021
- Sexy Stylish Skirts / Women’s Clothing Boutique Fashion Trends 🌸 October 25, 2021
- #Shorts Rachel Scott of ABC News gives us a news brief on Texas Abortion Law Consequences October 25, 2021
- Verizon Game Rewind | Warriors Complete California Sweep in Sacramento – Oct. 24, 2021 October 25, 2021
- BREAKING: Petrol price hits a record 142.94p per litre October 25, 2021
- Understanding Facebook’s issues ahead of the company’s Q3 earnings report October 25, 2021
- Rex Ryan does NOT believe in the Green Bay Packers’ defense | Get Up October 25, 2021
- ‘Squid Game’ sparks global Korean Dalgona candy craze October 25, 2021
- Top African goalscorers | Premier League | Riyad Mahrez, Mohamed Salah, Didier Drogba & more October 25, 2021
- Braves headed to the World Series for the first time since 1999 October 25, 2021
- Citigroup CEO Jane Fraser joins Yahoo Finance’s All Markets Summit 2021 October 25, 2021
- ‘Day of reckoning’ for tech industry, Lo Toney says October 25, 2021
- WorldView: Sudan’s acting prime minister detained in apparent military coup October 25, 2021
- Jason Sudeikis Reprises His Joe Biden Impression On ‘Saturday Night Live’ October 25, 2021
- World Series Preview: Astros, Braves show down in 2021 Fall Classic! October 25, 2021
- Tamron Hall talks new book, ‘As the Wicked Watch’ October 25, 2021
- Andrew Ross Sorkin: Facebook Controversies Won’t Impact Company’s Bottom Line October 25, 2021
- Republicans block voting rights bill as filibuster threatens Biden’s agenda October 25, 2021
- Citigroup CEO on inflation: ‘We’re probably in for a bit of a brutal winter’ October 25, 2021
- Nikki A.S.H Learns Things About India: WWE Superstars Ki Paathshala – Ep.3: WWE Now India October 25, 2021
- Alissa Violet SUING FaZe Clan for Shares of $300 Million Org October 25, 2021
- Robert Costa: Trump Was Calling Into Willard ‘War Room’ October 25, 2021
- Setting Up A Make-Or-Break Week For Infrastructure: Where Are We? October 25, 2021
- NBA Picks 10/25/2021 | Free NBA Bets, Picks, and Predictions October 25, 2021
- Boris Johnson ‘Touch and Go’ If COP26 Climate Summit Will Be a Success October 25, 2021
- Protests Erupt in Sudan As Prime Minister Arrested in Military Takeover October 25, 2021
- Surprising Banks With His Dream Gift October 25, 2021
- SQUID GAME In Real Life October 25, 2021